1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Iron Fist" Season One Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by Yojimbo, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Rate this series.

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. **1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. This thread is for members to speak about all 13 episodes or the majority of them at once.

[​IMG]

Series Talkback
    Friday, March 17, 2017 @ 12 a.m. on Netflix

Danny Rand resurfaces 15 years after being presumed dead. Now, with the power of the Iron Fist, he seeks to reclaim his past and fulfill his destiny.

Filming: April to October 8, 2016
    Scott Buck: Executive Producer/Showrunner
    Starring: Finn Jones, Jessica Henwick, David Wenham, Jessica Stroup, Tom Pelphrey, Carrie-Ann Moss, and Lewis Tan
    Casting: CBM 1/27/15, CBM 4/23, CBM 7/2, CBM 8/1, TVLine 1/17/16, Collider 1/28, EW 2/25, MCUEx 3/9, Marvel 4/1, Marvel 4/11, Variety 4/18, Marvel 5/20, Khan instagram 7/6, CBM 10/9,
    Rumors: CBM 10/31, POG 12/14, THR 12/14, CBR 3/4, CBM 3/9, MCUEx 4/11,
    Sources: BC 10/11, CBR 11/19, CBR 11/20, CBR 11/24, CB 12/7, CBM 1/28, Marvel 3/17, EW/Reddit 4/8, Newsarama 7/21, CBM 7/22, CBR 8/6, IGN 8/11, Jones insta 9/6, CBR 9/13, CB 10/4, CBR 10/8, CB 10/8, CB 10/9, CBR 10/13, CBR 10/14, CBR 10/14, CBR 10/15, CBM 10/23, CBR 12/6, CB 1/23, CB 1/28, CB 1/28, CBM 2/2, CB 2/14, DDTweer 2/18, Collider 2/24, MCUEx 2/25, CB 2/25, CB 2/26, CB 2/26, CB 2/27, CB 3/4, CBR 3/8, CB 3/12, CB 3/12, CB 3/15, CB 3/19, CB 3/25,
    Filming: CBR 4/18, CBM 4/19, CS 9/1, CBM 9/16, CB 10/6, CBR 10/16, JHenista 1/3,
    Poster: Newsarama 7/21, CB 10/6, CB 10/6, IF Tweet 2/21, CBM 3/6, IF Tweet 3/7, CB 3/13,
    Teasers: NF YT 7/21, NF YT 10/4, NF YT 10/8, NF YT 2/7, NF YT 2/8, WGTC YT 2/10, NF YT 2/21, CBR 3/8, IGN 3/15,

This thread is for members to speak about all 13 episodes or the majority of them at once.

#1.01: "Snow Gives Way"
    #1.02: "Shadow Hawk Takes Flight"
    #1.03: "Rolling Thunder Cannon Punch"
    #1.04: "Eight Diagram Dragon Palm"
    #1.05: "Under Leaf Pluck Lotus"
    #1.06: "Immortal Emerges from Cave"
    #1.07: "Felling with Tree Routes"
    #1.08: "The Blessing of Many Fractures"
    #1.09: "The Mistress of All Agonies"
    #1.10: "Black Tiger Steals Heart"
    #1.11: "Lead Horse Back to Stable"
    #1.12: "Bar the Big Boss"
    #1.13: "Dragon Plays with Fire"

#1 Yojimbo, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  2. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

Two episodes in, it's not as good as the other four Netflix seasons. It is still much better than the reviews although it could be much much better. I feel like they are presenting plot points and info using a cliched order rather than the formula we've seen from other Netflix shows. And we only need to see a plane crash once maybe twice if there's something new to add.

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Only watched the first ep. Might take awhile, took me a few weeks to binge these series. The 1st ep was pretty bad stylistically. Bad writing and directing. Seemed like an 80's or 90's TV or DTV movie. Sad. I only hope it gets better, we know it takes time sometime for a series to find its footing.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

4. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

I've finished the show and it's not something I would probably take the time to watch again.

There are numerous problems plaguing the show. It's taken 13 episodes to tell a story it probably could've in half of that.

The characters aren't interesting enough to carry a pedestrian plot. Rand comes across as all knowing but is actually dim witted which makes him look more arrogant than anything else and unlikeable. The villains, if you could call them that, aren't up to much either. Madame Gao is arguably the only really interesting character and essentially does the same thing she did in Daredevil.

The dialogue is full of cliches and feels very jilted. There's also no humour to be found in the show. Rand himself has no wit about him and there's no funny supporting comedy characters, and really, only Colleen has any charm to her.

Which brings us to Jones... he clearly doesn't have the acting chops to get past any of the above, and comes across as wooden and grating. He's never really believable in the role and looks lost and out of his element throughout. I haven't seen him in anything else to judge the quality of his other performances, but he failed to impress throughout the 13 episodes here.

The trademark fantastic fight scenes from the previous Netflix shows are also sorely lacking. Again, Jones doesn't look like he could kick anyone's ass and the fight scenes comes across as feable. It's not as violent as the other shows.... the whole show lacks edge and oommph.

It's very disappointing considering the excellent Marvel/Netflix shows that came before it... this feels bland like AOS rather than the flavourful Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage.

I don't know enough about Iron Fist in the comics to tell you if he's anything like he is in the books, but improvements will hopefully be made for the character in The Defenders.

If a season two is greenlite, a new show runner would be welcome. I wouldn't be opposed to recasting either.

Very disappointing, overall.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

6. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I agree. We gotta challenge RT to delete these negative reviews and force the professionals to review all 13 episodes. Some Replacement reviews would be nice just because everyone hates the idea of any MCU Movies or TV shows having a rotten content based on the story. Hopefully,y We'll get to the bottom of why the negativity around the show is rooted in political reasoning so they can get rid of it and replace the reviews with more positive ones so the fans and critics who hate the show will be proven wrong by us. We just don't understand the critics. Everyone's watching the show now and it's already turning out to be more of a steady build from episode one and on. After watching all of the episodes, it turns out to be one of Marvel's offerings despite what the reviews are saying so far. meaning unlike DD and Lcm It gets better and better with every episode instead of peaking early.

7. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

My bro, his roomie, and I watched the first two eps yesterday. A mixed bag, really.

On one hand, they're ripping off the early years of Arrow, subbing Kun Lun for Lian Yu. Not much of a stretch, but then, in the books, Ward Meachum is actually Joy's uncle, not her brother. Can't really tell which of the two Meachum men is the greedier, Harold or Ward. Ward is more afraid of losing his power base, such that he sees Danny as an immediate threat while at the same time trying to confuse Danny.

The first manifestation of the Iron Fist power seemed to be a homage from the 70's Incredible Hulk series, such that you'd expect Danny's eyes to change color.....! Other than that, Finn Jones looks like a refugee from the CW, as if they were attempting a remake of "The Quiet Man". The haters that reviewed the show seemed to be a bit impatient, waiting for slam bang action right away, rather than the gradually building, CW-esque soap opera. And we don't need any more of that.

8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I didn't hate the show at all and it definitely got better midway through. That being said, I want a new showrunner other than Scott Buck. Also, the fact that Danny didn't get a costume this season really annoyed me.

9. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, I agree. The show isn't terrible at all. The critics are just going with the herd. We've got to talk some sense into them through campaigns on Twitter so they can delete the reviews and review all 13 episodes more positively so the show can get critical acclaim.
    http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2017/03/the-iron-fist-hate-shows-how-critical-consensus-can-be-herded/

• Agree Agree x 1
    #10 brodie999, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I've watched the first four episodes. I don't think it's horrible like the reviews claimed, but it is the weakest Netflix show so far. One of the main problems is Danny Rand himself. He isn't a very interesting character so far.

However, IMO, episode 4 was easily the best so far, so maybe it's about to take an upswing.

11. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

Yeah, And Once you've watched the next 9 episodes, You'll see that it's far better than fans expected They've condemned the show before they even watched it to the end. The show doesn't deserve all this hate. The Critics are just trying to trick us. watching the show and Forcing the critics to shut down the Negative reviews will prove them wrong.

12. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

13. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

No. Don't challenge them. This is really a bad idea.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

14. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

15. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

No, it isn't. Remember when several DCEU fans tried to shut down RT?

It's a completely stupid idea. Sorry but give it up.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

16. brodie999

brodie999 Active Member

That's great. I hope it reaches to be the biggest one when it surpasses Luke Cage. By the way, There hasn't been some updates on Marvel characters like Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America in Animation. Don't you think it's a great idea to start adding new content to these threads?
    Avengers In Animation - A Retrospective | Toonzone Forums
    ‎www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/captain-america-in-animation-a-retrospective-updated.4378431/

Iron Man In Animation - A Retrospective (Updated!) | Toonzone Forums
    ‎www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/ant-man-in-animation-a-retrospective.5489391/
    Spider-Man In Animation - A Retrospective | Toonzone Forums

17. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Okay, I just finished this last night. I think I had to take step back and really figure out what these creators were trying to do. At the same time, I had to deal with my own lack of deep knowledge of the source material.

However, bad filmmaking is not excusable. That is what we have throughout this series. It is more evident in the first several episodes, which is where the hate comes from. The other thing is Jones performance of Danny, which is less than desirable. He's not my vision of Rand whom I picture more or less like a male version of "The Bride" from Kill Bill. Little bit of a pretty damned good warrior, who can be human too.

I think the series overall is just okay, but it often feels plodding. The series, much like Luke Cage derived from old B movies. As where Cage felt like 70's 80's Blaxploitation, Iron Fist goes after the 80's 90's Mighty Whitey exploitation films. American Ninja, China O'Brien, Lone Wolf McQuade, Out for Justice, Kickboxer, Remo Williams, et al. Complete with ridiculous plots, villains who won't die unless you take them to the heights of a building, and lots of synth pop on the soundtrack. Going way back to the 70's with David Carradine in Kung Fu, this is how Iron Fist comes off.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

18. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Finally finished the series. Definitely the weakest of the Netflix series, but it did show improvement at the halfway mark, but then the final episode left me disappointed.

It was cool seeing characters like Hogarth and Clair again, of course (sometimes, they were the highlights), and it seems they're foreshadowing some cool stuff for season 2, but I felt that the show never quite got an identity of it's own. Hopefully they fix that for season 2.

19. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

I thought we would have more Hogarth in Iron Fist than we got in Jessica Jones. I was disappointed.