1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction to the Toon Zone Animation Wiki

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Jave, May 26, 2008.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

We'll gradually modify existing articles to conform to our standard format. There aren't so many yet that this will be an undoable task, even if I were doing it by myself. If others make the effort to chip in, all the better. Open-source is a good thing.

2. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

If you all wish to put an emphasis on priority articles, then so be it, but I want it to be clear that people are allowed to contribute to other pages regardless of how “unimportant” they may be. If somebody wishes to write up a page for a secondary character before a page even exists for the character’s animated program, there is nothing that anybody can do to stop them. As long as the information is valid and there are no opinions, the contribution would be welcome. It’s one thing to have structure, but nobody should be penalized for contributing a valid entry; not everybody can contribute everything, and some people may be able to contribute a lot of good information for characters but not be able to do the same for the show itself.

3. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Right. It's basically a case of "this is what we recommend" as opposed to saying "this is what you must do" in order to guide focus where we want it.

4. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

I think that they should be strongly discouraged to do so until the foundation for this Wiki is finally built. It would be silly to have a secondary character article while there isn't an article for the show itself, and it will also make the Wiki look sloppy.

As a viewer of the Wiki I would not take it seriously if I saw something like that, and as a (possible) contributor it would make me feel as if my time is going to be wasted since there is no real structure.

Once the structure is established, I think everyone should stick to it, if they have to wait to give that secondary character an article, then they have to wait.

Perhaps a thread should be created, once the FAQ is out, requesting certain main articles be made so that those who wish to do characters can do so?

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Well, as I've said, we can certainly give emphasis and that is the idea, but at the same time this is an open-source community project so I think it would be presumptuous in the extreme to be tossing out orders. If we have an established structure and ask everyone to contribute at least the plurality of their effort to that, I think we will get our desired result.

A thread highlighting priority articles along with the guide is part of the plan, we'll just have to figure out what's truly important. I think we can come up with a good base list, and then all of you can make suggestions about what deserves to be added as necessary.

6. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I think things are getting a bit mixed here. By and large, the call seems to be for the Wiki to go with

The following are priority articles, which we would classify as needing the most attention. Please feel free to create other articles as required, but this group are specifically classified as core articles. Thank you.

However, certain individuals are taking that idea and twisting it into

The following articles need work. Please only add to them. Do not create other articles unless we tell you so. Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200.

Which is completely missing the point. I think the fact 98% of people interested in contributing are championing the former says alot. It's really the most organized way to go.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Ding! EXACTLY what I am going for.

8. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

I didn't mean to come across as restricting others to their right to contribute. I merely meant that I think it is silly to have a whole article on a secondary character when there isn't even an article on the main show. Just clarifying, my apologies if it came across the wrong way.

9. Zeonic Freak

Zeonic Freak Make MD Geist Great Again!

Heres some suggestions

Ive got some Suggestions to add to the wiki:

Sol Bianca
    Record of Lodoss War
    Bubblegum Crisis
    Initial D
    MD Geist
    Detenator Orgun
    Sakura Wars
    Cyber City Odeo 808
    Grappler Baki
    Dunbine
    Angel Cop

Thats about it for now. Im not sure how you guys do this. Should i start a thread for each of these? Just wondering...

10. Roman Legion

Roman Legion Let's Make a Deal
    Staff Member Administrator

The way wikis work, there's not really a "you guys" to suggest new entries to. People add new articles as they have information to start them. If you want to start any of those entries yourself, by all means, please do! Other than that, we don't really need new threads in this forum until there's discussion about an entry to be had.

--Romey

11. Zeonic Freak

I was just throwing out name suggestions to broaden the list some more...

12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Merged to here, as this has become a discussion & feedback thread of sorts.

13. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

Taking the "top-down" approach, I looked up those series on ANN to find out the studios behind them, and the names that turned up the most were AIC and Madhouse. Maybe you should add those first?

14. Zeonic Freak

Gah, how could i forget Gall Force and Riding Bean, Megazone 23 and Gunsmith Cats.

Fine, if you really want me to put these up... i will... in due time...

#94 Zeonic Freak, Dec 2, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  15. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

Didn't see any thread or mention, so I'd just like to extend a congratulations to HellCat.

Obviously this guy knows what he is doing and I think he will improve this project quite a bit. I shall be looking forward to how this project grows.

16. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Thanks :) There's alot exciting things planned for the future of the Wiki and I'm happy to play a part in that. I hope we'll see even more people joining in.