1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction to the Toon Zone Animation Wiki

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Jave, May 26, 2008.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Still to be done. Last I heard this is likely a software issue, so once a given upgrade is done we are probably set. I'll keep you guys posted.

2. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Well that's good then. Glad to hear the problem seems to have been found :)

3. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

I always get this error when I log into the TZ Wiki:
    In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist.

4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I'm asking about this. I just tried logging in myself and had no issues. Is anyone else having this problem?

5. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Would glossary pages be okay to make? Like a page that lists various info for races, planets, items, terms, and other such info? If so, what would the official title for it be, like how character guides are "<series> Main Character Guide" and so forth?

6. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I believe such information would be a fine addition to the Toon Zone Animation Wiki, but whether or not it warrants a page of its own is something that needs to be discussed. I feel that some of that information could be provided in the main page for an animated work, but if there is a lot of information, perhaps a special page is in order. I’ll have to get back to you on that, as we’re in the process of planning a meeting and we’ll be sure to go over your query and figure out where we stand. I am personally in favor of allowing a wide array of pages, within reason, but there are potential hazards in doing such. I’ll be sure to let you know once our official procedures in order.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

For now, I suggest putting stuff like that in the main article. Just create a "Glossary" headline and go nuts. We can always split it off later if we end up deciding that's a good idea.

8. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

Hm...

I am tempted to write an article, but I am not quite sure how to go about it. I don't really want to write one that is completely off-base with the others, do we have a format for writing articles? If so, I feel that it would be a great help to myself, and I'd assumed others.

Actually, I really think that the Wiki in general needs to focus on achieving a firm base. As of right now, everything is all over the place, and frankly it is a bit confusing to me. I understand that individuals should be able to write about whatever they want, but I don't believe that should be the case at this current time, simply because the Wiki is still in the early stages.

Not to be harsh or anything, but I do feel as if this Wiki will fail if something isn't done to get it on some kind of track. This randomness doesn't work, we need structure.

Thanks.

9. HellCat

Well, there's been alot of critique about the lack of structure, most of it answered with claims that a structure is being devised. I'm inclined to believe that but at the same time I agree it needs to implimented soon. It seems 'Do what you like, have fun' is doing more to turn people away then 'Here's a structured way of doing things, please be aware first'.

10. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I think the biggest issue is that several priorities need to be set. For example, we obviously can't force people into writing about anything, but I believe there needs to be a structure on how articles come into fruition. Like, a general article about a series should definitely have priority over an character-focused article, as doing an article on, say, Dr. Eggman is pretty much pointless if there isn't a general article for Sonic The Hedgehog (the games and TV series, not the character)

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

You know what, I agree. People have waited enough. So I'll review what I have and post it within the next few days, and we'll just develop the project from there. I may even do it before I return from the holiday this coming Tuesday. I do need to revise a few points based on recent discussions that have been had here, but that shouldn't be too bad to do.

12. MonkeyFunk

MonkeyFunk Kids and grown-ups love me so

Well, the rule of thumb I've been following with my contributions is that a new article should be either

a) an animation creator, studio, or outlet; or
    b) something which can be linked to from an existing page.

That way we don't get loads of little articles with no relation to eachother, we get articles which grow out of previous articles, or give the opportunity for plenty of new articles themselves.

13. HellCat

From what you've said previously, I can imagine you have a decent structure set out so far. Just to be clear, personally I don't want to rush you. I've said something needs to be done but the worst you could do is feel intimidated by folks and put stuff out before you're happy with it.
    Given it's December tomorrow and everyone's attentions will be elsewhere, might I suggest planning for a proper dedicated launch in the new year?

I've been big on saying we need to get things going on a solid foundation. I can't really say that and then ask people to rush things out of fear.

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Maybe...I'll keep writing and play it by ear. I do feel that whenever I post it, it'll probably end up profiting from the scrutiny of public opinion. What I will do very soon at the least is find a few articles that come close to the ideal and point them out as examples, and then maybe there will be less confusion in the short term.

As a general FYI, so far as priority for new articles goes, MonkeyFunk and Jave have the right idea.

15. HellCat

Out of interest, will the guidelines include Wiki code (stuff like == == to start subsections)? I've noticed a few folks starting articles that whilst ok content wise don't seem aware of the codes to get things in bullet points and such.
    I'm pretty much speaking about the basics right now, not the crazier stuff you can do for templates and such.

16. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah, there's some talk of code. Most of the basic things like what you mention can actually be done via shortcut buttons at the top of the editing screen, but I have the guide spelling it out too.

17. HellCat

Oh they can? Huh. I knew they could do itallics and bold, but not certain other things...guess I've gotten so used to adding stuff in myself :sweat:

It looks like everything's shaping up pretty nicely.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Yeah--the very relevant shortcuts from left to right are bold, italics, internal link, external link, and level 2 headline. After that are two shortcuts for embedded images and media files, which I will not comment on since I haven't tried using either myself yet.

Then there's the seemingly useless mathematical formula, followed by the crossed W which lets you write text that doesn't conform to Wiki formatting. Users probably do not need to pay heed to this, though I will be finding it useful for help pages I'm sure.

Finally there is signature (useless--it's for talk pages but for us, our talk pages are forum threads) and the horizontal line shortcut.

To amend there isn't a shortcut for bullet points, so I'll go ahead and explain formatting for lists. This is as simple as placing asterisks in front of each item. For example:

*Item 1
    *Item 2
    *Item 3

When you type this and save the changes, your list will be saved and shown with bullet points.

19. HellCat

Probably worth pointing out you can add extra little sub paragraphs to a list item using :

*Paragraph 1
    :*Sub-Paragraph 1
    *Paragraph 2
    *Paragraph 3

Useful if you need to add something of note that doesn't quite fit into the main paragraph :)

20. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

Glad to know that steps are being taken to make this project work, as I really was worried about it.

I swear it seems like you should also be one of the main people in on this project HellCat, but I suppose that isn't for me to decide.

But after we get this said structure out into the open, how are you (we) going to handle all the randomness that took place before?