1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction to the Toon Zone Animation Wiki

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Jave, May 26, 2008.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Hmm, well, if the needed code for citations doesn't exist already, we should be able to get it implemented. It can't be much worse than getting images to work.

2. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

I've spent the last half hour or so looking into it and I'm afraid all I have to show for it is a headache :sad: Most places make it sound like this is something that the Wiki admin will have to activate and then the relevant code will work. You can see my attempts to get the code to work here:

http://wiki.toonzone.net/index.php?title=The_Transformers&action=history

3. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

Well, I’m afraid that I’m not going to be able to help you in that regard. Truth be told, I have relatively little experience with wikis; I’m doing my best to learn what I need to learn, but it’s going to take some time. I mean, it’s not easy to learn how to add templates and so forth when you’re still grasping to understand the basic concepts of a wiki. I made that abundantly clear when I was made one of the several administrators on this wiki and I was told that I could learn on the job, so to speak. I’m hoping to play second fiddle to GWOtaku.

My expertise, if you can call it that, is with writing. I was the Editor of several key guides on TV.com and I contributed to TVRage.com as well, but those websites are quite different than a wiki. Currently, I’m trying to get the Toon Zone Animation Wiki FAQ written, based on the discussions that I’ve had with GWOtaku, but progress has been slow.

If you have AIM, perhaps we could have a conversation or two. You have more experience than I have and your input would be appreciated.

4. HellCat

Thanks. I'm trying my hardest to help where I can, since I'd really like to see this take off. Some Wikis have the problem of being too niche or anal, but I think the TZ Wiki has a good chance at success. Even if it's just maintained by members of the forum, it can still become a high quality resource for everyone else.

5. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I've tried experimenting with footnote stuff too as discussed here, but no go. The <ref> tag currently doesn't take. This is a pretty big deal, so we'll be looking into it.

Also, just for general information, this forum will be seeing some pretty significant updates soon. Up until now there hasn't been too much official guidance on how to do things, nor a forum for feedback and discussion about the TZ Wiki as a project besides this thread. This is going to change. No firm date yet...but soon.

6. The Huntsman

It’s unfortunate that so many pages are practically empty. It seems that I’ve been of little assistance since I’ve been appointed one of the administrators in charge of the wiki, as despite all of my talk, I haven’t really put forth any solid plans. I should try to contribute to some of these pages myself, but I’ve never been that good at contributing information for animated programs that I’m not passionate about. I can write lengthy pages for those that I am passionate about, but most of the shows that I love are too niche to be top priority articles. In all honesty, as much as I want the Toon Zone Animation Wiki to succeed, I can’t help but wonder if I’m actually doing any good. This is a great responsibility and I feel that I am letting everybody down.

Regardless, as I’ve said earlier, I believe that we should get some projects started. If enough people volunteered and actually contributed to the same pages, I’m sure that we could get the ball rolling. For example, a project could be started for the DCAU and people who volunteer for that project would be encouraged to contribute specifically to pages concerning the DCAU. Those who do exceptionally well might even be eligible to become a friend of Toon Zone, which carries a lot of perks. What do you all think of this proposal? I don’t believe that it would work unless the community is behind it, but at times, it seems like most of the community isn’t even aware that the wiki exists.

7. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Don't worry. Let's talk again soon.

8. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

Have you made a topic on the DCAU forum about the DCAU project? I think that'd get it a lot of momentum. Anyway, sorry that my articles are so lame, I want the site to have as many pages as possible, but I don't want to steal descriptions from Wikipedia or anything, and I'm too lazy and poor at writing to write my own descriptions, so most of my articles are pretty much just stubs. But at least the shows have pages, now.

9. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Good idea. Also, your contributions are really appreciated. They were pretty good choices for articles and good starts for any Wiki entry.

10. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

The main issue with the Wiki is that there is no organization. People randomly come here and randomly pick a topic to do, emphasis on randomly.

While this is great, as we indeed want variety, there needs to be a structure to how this is done in order for this project to succeed.

The most basic structure going by alphabet. Yeah, that may take a bit longer, and be a bit more tedious, but that's how things get done. I'm sure there are better ones, that is just an example.

So, Success=Structure.

Which we happen to lack. :shrug:

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I want the "structure" to be focus on what matters. As said a few days ago, I'm going to be updating this place soon.

12. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

Then that begs the question, what matters and what doesn't?

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Indeed. What I want to do is offer up some starting points, then get feedback here, and then we'll ideally have a structure that's reflecting what we want to do.

14. Lelouch

Lelouch Fallen Prince

Sounds good.

My personal suggestion is "branching."

Start with something big, such as DCAU, and then gradually get to the smaller points as you finish off the bigger ones.

15. HellCat

I'd be cautious of such a decision. If you put the focus on a specific subject like the DCAU, you run the risk of people seeing the project as specifically DCAU focussed and further drifting away from it. There's also the concern of the fact that something like that has a ton of sites already; how do you stop folks from copying and pasting info on say, DCAU Batman, and then claiming they made an article? I had this problem myself when I attempted a Wiki. People will steal from elsewhere and if it's another Wiki, sometimes they won't even correct the codes within.

16. The Huntsman

There would be numerous projects; the one that I mentioned about the DCAU was merely an example. As for plagiarism, such isn’t tolerated regardless of whether or not there are specific projects; users who plagiarize will be given a stern warning and those who continuously plagiarize will be barred from making any contributions in the future. It is usually easy to determine whether or not somebody is stealing information from another website.

17. HellCat

That pretty much addresses the issue then. A focus is definetly needed but go too far and it could hurt more than help. Multiple clear selected focusses should hopefully stop that.

Same with plagarism. What'll keep folks coming back is original, well written and researched content. I know at universties they have access to special anti plagarism search technology. Too bad we don't have similar.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

If you get creative with google, in my experience, it's possible to catch plagiarism. It's something I *should* be able to stay on top of, assuming it comes up. So far not, which is probably thanks to the fact that the Wiki is connected to the forum as opposed to being open to any stranger.

On another note, I'm getting tired of promising "when it's ready" so in regard to advancing the project I'm going to move the ball down the field this coming week, barring something rather important coming up in the real world.

19. J'onn J'onzz

J'onn J'onzz Best Male Member '08

20. HellCat

Has the 'ref' matter been figured out or is that still to be done? If the latter, I'll try and look further into it.