1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Introduction to the Toon Zone Animation Wiki

Discussion in 'Animation Wiki Discussion' started by Jave, May 26, 2008.

1. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If you're here, it's because you've noticed that Toon Zone has launched its most recent (and quite possibly most ambitious) project. The Toon Zone Wiki.

Wiki is short for Wikipedia, the famous online encyclopedia that anyone can edit. The TZ Wiki will be an encyclopedia focused in all things animated, but the only way for this project to become whole is for everyone to contribute.

Learning the basics of Wikipedia isn't hard. I suggest you to visit this tutorial if you wish to learn the main tags and codes. Then, you can head to the Wiki and start creating and editing articles yourself.

If learning that stuff is not your thing but you still wish to contribute, that's what this forum is about. At the top of each Wiki article, there's a link called "discussion". If you click that link, it will create a thread regarding that article in this board, or in case the thread already exists, it'll direct you to it. You can use the forum topic to add your contributions, discuss what should or shouldn't be in, and someone who is more familiar with editing will add it to the article.

There's no need for you to create an account. Simply log in using your TZ username and password. It'll automatically create the TZ Wiki account and you'll be able to edit.

Any questions you may have please ask them here. I'll do my best to answer them or get someone else to do so.

Have fun!

2. Rolling Cloud

Rolling Cloud ...too early....

I want to make an article for Samurai Champloo, but I can't find the button to make it. *Scratches head*

3. Light Ichigo

Light Ichigo Member

Here the link.;)

4. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

In regards to creating an article from scratch, simply search for it, and the wiki software will give you the option to create it.

5. Kagetsu

Kagetsu Hooligan

It seems to have left me access it, but I have no idea what In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist. means
    [​IMG]

6. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

I got that error yesterday, hit refresh and it went away. I know what the issue is related to and I'll try and figure out why that's still happening as soon as I have a chance.

7. Beefy

Beefy It only hurts forever

I can't find any information about embedding images in a Wiki article.
    If images are allowed, are they hosted on Toon Zone or do they have to be stored on an external site?

8. The Huntsman

The Huntsman Friend of Toon Zone

I sincerely apologize, but I am having some trouble with the “no spoiler” policy that the wiki has. Is that policy only in effect for episodes that haven’t aired yet, or is it in effect for all episodes regardless of if they’ve aired or not. For example, what if characters fall in love in the second season and you want to mention that in the wiki. It would technically be a spoiler for those who haven’t seen it, but since the episodes have already aired, would the wiki be allowed to contain that information?

I am currently trying to create the Yin Yang Yo! guide to contain no spoilers, but I found it next to impossible to write anything substantial about the characters without citing their development throughout the course of the series.

I hope that somebody can help me out and let me know, as I can’t add much information on the characters until I make sure of this.

#8 The Huntsman, May 31, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  9. The Huntsman

I’ve been working on the Yin Yang Yo! article and I’ve added a decent amount to it, though I’m now receiving a message when I go to edit the page. Keep in mind that I can continue to edit the page just fine, but the message has me concerned.

Is this really urgent? 43 KB doesn’t seem like it’s that much, and I’ve looked around on the internet and most people seemed to believe that the warning wasn’t necessary, as most people don’t have browsers like the one mentioned in the warning. I would rather not have to remove any information; in fact, I would rather like to add even more information.

Can I continue to add more information, or do I have to stop because the page is 43 KB? Again, 43 KB doesn’t seem like that much, so I’m not sure why the warning acts like it’s the end of the world. Perhaps there’s something about wikis I don’t understand.

10. The Huntsman

Do we have this template thingy on our wiki? I split the Yin Yang Yo! article by creating an episodes page, and I wanted to have one of those main article links that Wikipedia has, but when I tried it, it didn't work.

I'm sure a monkey could figure things out better than I can, so I hope somebody will eventually answer my questions.

11. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

I believe it's possible to write regarding the development of the characters without necessarily spoiling too much. Try mentioning the events in a more broad way without saying what actually happens in the episodes. That's what the "No Spoilers" policy mostly applies to. Putting a "Slight Spoilers" notice might be a good idea.

For example, if someone made a Pokemon anime article, mentioning general details like where are Ash and Co. traveling to or who's currently on the team would be fine, but mentioning specifically how he fared in a battle would be spoiler.

Wikipedia has a limit because it means the article has gotten too big and it probably should be split into separate articles. It doesn't matter if you add anymore content, so if you want to keep it in one article it's fine, but you might consider separating it.

Perhaps Episode Guides should be kept separate since they are more prone to spoilers.

I can't answer that. It's something an admin only has access to.

12. The Huntsman

Thanks for your help; I appreciate it.

13. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

No, since from what I can tell, this is an older and/or simpler version of whatever program was used to create "Wikipedia". So basically, this wiki does not have many of the templates that "Wikipedia" has, and it appears you can't add pictures as well.

14. The Huntsman

I sincerely apologize yet again. I realize that I am now bickering over semantics, but little things like this bother me deeply. Do episode information pages on the wiki have to have “List Of” in the title? I do not believe they should have to have that. I spent over twelve hours researching and writing a non-spoiler episode guide for Yin Yang Yo!, and it was under the page “Yin Yang Yo! Episodes”. However, that was changed to redirect to a new page entitled “List Of Yin Yang Yo! Episodes”.

I do not like that. I just don’t see why it had to be changed. I mean, when people use Google to find information about Yin Yang Yo! episodes, they don’t write “List Of”. Besides, what I wrote wasn’t a list. It was an episode guide.

I request that I be allowed to change the page back to “Yin Yang Yo! Episodes”. Would anybody object to that?

#14 The Huntsman, Jun 1, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2008
  15. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

You can change it back if you want. Personally, I feel that the term "List" should be saved for spoiler-free episode title and airdates listings.

However, I think "Yin Yang Yo Episodes" is rather vague, so if you don't mind, I'd suggest "Yin Yang Yo Episode Guide".

Although I may warn you, if this turns into an edit war, there'll be no choice but to issue an infraction and the article may end up locked.

16. The Huntsman

Well, I don’t believe the episode descriptions I wrote contain any spoilers. The descriptions were based upon minimal content with the sole purpose of allowing readers to know what the episodes were about without spoiling anything substantial. I got into the habit of doing that back on TVTome.

I understand you perfectly. That's why I asked instead of editing it outright. Due process is extremely important and communication is a necessity in order for a wiki to operate smoothly. If everybody did everything without discussing things first, there would be too many conflicts.

I will take your advice and change the page to "Yin Yang Yo! Episode Guide". I appreciate your help.

17. The Huntsman

I apologize for the double post, but I have a lot of questions and asking them is the only way to expand upon my knowledge. Would I be allowed to create a special section on a wiki page in order to link to some of Toon Zone’s official reviews? Many people don’t take the time to read old reviews and I believe linking to them on our wiki could encourage people to take the time to read them. Using Yin Yang Yo! as an example, there are two reviews on Toon Zone that I believe could be linked to through the wiki, perhaps towards the bottom of the page under “Official Reviews”.

What do you guys think? Could I do that?

18. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT

Try doing it like this: If you're linking to stuff on TZ but not on the Wiki, create a section called "Toon Zone Links" and put links to reviews or forum threads there. If you're linking to websites outside TZ, then create a "External Links" section and put those there.

19. The Huntsman

Thank you for your help. It shall be done.

20. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

List of... is basically the excepted online standard for Wiki articles. So say List of Yin Yang Yo Episodes, List of Scooby Doo monsters, List of Speed Racer vehicles, etc. Personally I think it's a format worth sticking with since it looks more professional and orderly. I'm especially worried now we're going to see editors customising entries as they see fit to the point each area of the Wiki is going to be like entering into a different site.

As for spoilers- the key issue with spoilers is that a database like this may be used by folks who just want to find out more on a series others have reccomended. In that case, it's not fair to these people to have spoilers out in the open. It's like if you were looking The Empire Strikes Back and were just hit with "In this movie, protagonist Luke Skywalker finds out that chief antagonist Darth Vader is his biological father". BAM! The entire emotional core of the movie is gone by no fault of the reader.