Insight of how the Last Airbender was terrible... and why it's not entirely Shyamalan's fault

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by acquah, Aug 12, 2014.

1. acquah

acquah Member

Let's all admit this: The Last Airbender was cruddy movie to many (and I mean, many). However, M. Night Shyamalan, the movie's director, is not entirely to blame for this failure, according to Kyatto from a forum called AvatarSpirit.net.

Here's what the user said:
    What I'm getting out of this is that Night really was a huge fan of the show, and Bryke did give him the "okay" signal for the movie after they read his original screenplay. However, with producers watering down the development, not caring for the original show, and providing cheap material instead of huge blockbuster sets, The Last Airbender ends up becoming one of the worst films of all time and spiritually kills Night's career.

He's not the greatest director ever (The Happening, Lady in the Water, The Village, After Earth are several reasons why), but after reading this I kinda feel bad for him.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. The Talon

The Talon New Member

Another awful movie adaptation of a great property thanks to studio execs who have no idea what the hell they're doing. Sucks for M. Night and Bryke.

3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

Wow, now I kinda feel bad for how much negativity and blame was thrown at M. Night Shyamalan after this movie and how this negatively effected his career. I can't say I'm a fan of his work, but a self-admitted and possibly genuine fan of the show working under such bad conditions with terrible executive meddling is not an enviable position for a director :(.

4. Wonderwall

Wonderwall Moderator

So basically every big budget bomb ever. Scripts taking out things that made the original screenplay special, check, Original creators given titles that are in name only, check, not enough money, check, To many people not qualified to do a job, check, Nepotism, check.

M Night isn't a very good director but he got dealt a bad hand too. And seeing as the director is the most visible person not in front of the camera, that means he got all the flak, some deserving, some not.

I'm more surprised it's been 5 years since production ended. Time flies.

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

The direction was probably what I had a problem with more than anything else.

6. the greenman

the greenman Active Member

Haven't seen it yet, but Shylaman really ruined his own rep. He literally started thinking he was the Next Speilberg and yet always made his films off his own scripts. Mind you this was the time when guys like Tarantino, Kevin Smith, and Rodriguez were doing that as well. However none of those guys kept doing the same old formula or genre of film. Interestingly around the time of this Kevin Smith made Cop Out off someone else's script, but Tarantino pushed his boundaries by making a War movie. That's really what it's about.

7. acquah

acquah Member

I'm putting in more quotes from Kyatto since the original is deleted (They're taken from a site called M. Night Fans):

- See more at: The True Story of ‘The Last Airbender’ Revealed? | M. Night Fans

There was also a clarification where he said he couldn't work without Nicola Peltz. It's because he literally could not work without NIcola Peltz; it was all a justification for the forced nepotism.