1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Injustice 2 - What would you like to see explored in an animated feature?

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, May 16, 2017.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Injustice 2 is now available (video game talkback), which means it's the perfect time to approach the game from an animated standpoint.

[​IMG]

The Injustice universe, as shown by the two games and wealth of printed material, is vaste, with plenty of characters and interesting twists on the established DC Comics mythos. There is plenty of potential of explore the world of Injustice in an animated feature (and it's actually surprising we haven't seen a tie-in animated feature at this point). So, basically, what would aspect of the Injustice world (characters, storylines, setting, etc.) would you like to see brought to life in an animated movie? Perhaps an animate adaptation of the Injustice: Gods Among Us or Injustice 2 storymode? An adaptation of the comic series? Maybe you have your own thoughts on what should be expanded upon or given a closer look. Let's hear it!

So, what part of the Injustice universe would you like to see explored in an animated feature?

Related Discussion:

-Injustice: Gods Among Us - Would it make a good direct-to-video animated feature?

• Like Like x 1
  2. BreakAbone

BreakAbone Member

That's an interesting question. I feel like parts of it has been explored somewhat with Gods and Monsters and to a lesser extent A Better World.

But I think seeing the League falling out and fighting among themselves would be interesting. So I guess the opening of the comic series before the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Joker's Henchman

There's far too much story and potential for this to ever be a DTV. It needs to be a series for it to have a proper adaptation. The comics are brilliant and truly a showcase of the entire DC universe falling apart. I hope that one day we get this, maybe on the new streaming service?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think you could probably do an animated movie based on the first game, with the main, normal, heroes popping into the Injustice universe and seeing how those two universes collide :cool:.

The story was already fairly cinematic, so I thin it would translate well into an animated feature, though one that I think we've seen plenty of riffs on in animation by this point :sweat:.

They also might be able to do a web-animation series that adapts the prequel comics :).

• Like Like x 1
  5. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Am I the only one who shed a tear for Cyborg's ending

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. juan1193

juan1193 Member

I never knew I wanted something so bad!! There's so much potential here! Maybe adapt the comics? Show the League falling apart, the Titans fracturing and the birth of the Society? So much potential honestly!

• Like Like x 1
  7. BigFatHairyDeal

BigFatHairyDeal Defender of the Universe

It would have to be written in a very specific manner, because Injustice Superman and Wonder Woman come off as really, really bad people. Injustice Superman is a guy who was only heroic in the past because he had a good life. As soon as tragedy struck, he crumbled. Wonder Woman is essentially Lady Macbeth. On the other hand, Batman keeps on trucking like a good Caped Crusader. DC and WB often get accused by angry fans that all they care about is Batman, and will tank any other DC character to make Batman look heroic in effort to sell more. Stuff like Injustice makes me sympathetic to that complaint. If we were to have an Injustice movie, or series, or whatever, there has to be more done to show that this version of Superman and Wonder Woman are not merely alternate universe versions of our heroes who had a few bad things happen to them that they cracked like a wine glass shot by a cannonball. They were privileged brats, and that the versions of the character we're familiar with are vastly superior and not really susceptible to the sinking to the depths their Injustice counterparts did. Either that, or at least make all of the heroes (that means you, Brucie...) this kind of awful.

As an aside, I always thought "A Better World" was an overrated JL episode, for similar reasons that I won't get into great detail in this thread, but in general these sort of stories irk me. If you want an edgy JL, give us something like Justice League: Gods and Monsters. That's a terrific movie. Injustice to me is a mishmash of other ideas compiled together quickly to sell a fighting game that justifies why heroes are fighting other heroes, something that's highly unnecessary when you consider what few complaints we got for the Marvel vs. Capcom series' lack of story mode.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So, basically, the first Injustice game where the main versions of the heroes fight against their Injustice counterparts :)?

I'm pretty happy that Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinity is going to have one though :anime:.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigFatHairyDeal

Mmmm... kind of? I don't think the first game did a good enough job of emphasizing the difference between Injustice vs. "regular" versions of the heroes. IMO it mostly sells the idea that Superman has a "Killing Joke" Joker-like makeup, that he's one really bad day away from becoming an evil dictator. The end is kind of satisfying seeing "real" Superman come in to smack around Injustice Superman, but overall I feel it's still lacking some of the things I would've liked to see. From what I've seen of Injustice 2, those things I would've liked to have seen fixed haven't been done yet.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Otaku-sempai

Otaku-sempai Well-Known Member

BigFatHairyDeal illustrates why I think that Kingdom Come is a superior story to either "A Better World" or the game Injustice. In KC Clark never becomes evil, he retreats (literally) into his own little world when he feels that he has been betrayed by humanity. Much like the Elseworld's story The Nail, everything proceeds from that.

An animated movie based on Injustice could actually be pretty good, but I'm not sure how it would stand out from other stories we've seen with similar themes. I would want something better than just more violence and savagery.

• Like Like x 1
    #10 Otaku-sempai, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think the story made clear the differences between the two versions in that the main heroes were, of course, their classic incarnations unwilling to compromise their ideals or their heroism in the face of adversity as their Injustice counterparts did, while as a contrast we had a heroic Luthor vs. the Luthor at the beginning who helped the Joker orchestrate the destruction of Metropolis.

I think it's kind of the nature of a "Shattered Mirror" take on a character that there's always the potential, whether we enjoy seeing it play out or not, of that hero turning evil and working against everything they once believed in. Otherwise there's nothing for the characters to reflect on.

I also think it's important that we see the more heroic incarnations of the Justice League overcoming their Regime counterparts, highlight why they're the "true" versions more or less.

But that's just my take on it. I can definitely understand how, as a fan of Superman, it's take on the Man of Steel can be very disappointing.

12. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Clark's just as much as a fascist in Kingdom Come, though. The entire project was based on the premise of older heroes knowing better than newer heroes, like how Baby Boomers hate Millenials. The younger generation isn't portrayed in a positive or equal light at all, let alone having its own likable representative. Hell, the only 'voice of reason' is Captain Marvel, a character nearly as old as Superman himself. Kingdom Come is a terrible work.

Injustice has the potential to make for a cool serial, but there's a lot that needs to be secured, both on a story and storytelling level. Superman would need a tremendously multi-faceted portrayal to really be pulled off right. That godawful growling Adam Baldwin does in the video games isn't going to cut it and nor is framing the story from Batman's point-of-view. We need someone on Avery Brooks' level, able to wax poetic, to be the audience's main self-insert.

13. BigFatHairyDeal

Kingdom Come is a story which for which my opinion seems to change on a daily basis. At first I loved it, then I thought it was overrated, and ever since I've been like a pendulum swinging back and forth between liking and not really liking it.

There is one aspect, though, where I'm pretty consistent. KC does a good job of showing conflict caused when everyone is wrong. I feel, at the utmost optimistic POV, Injustice tries to capture that, but instead makes the characters comparatively flat: of course Superman and Wonder Woman are in the wrong, and of course Batman is right. Perhaps not 100% in each case, but overwhelmingly so. At least KC shows the same trio come together at the end, but not before disputing key topics. In that sense, KC will have reached heights that I think Injustice never will, but that's kind of unfair because the story is secondary in Injustice; it needs to be a good, playable game first and foremost, and the story is primarily there to justify why the heroes are beating the [tar] out of one another.

#13 BigFatHairyDeal, May 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2017
  14. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

I like the premise of a Superman coming out of retirement after suffering a terrible loss, but the context doesn't work without seeming convoluted if the work is about pitting him against "new ways of thought". It doesn't help that the art itself isn't good, either. Alex Ross can't draw emotions and he certainly can't layout and pace panels, either. ~_~

If there's anything the two truly do have in common, though, is they go to show what happens when you give extremists power. Of course, you could say the same thing about most every official iteration of Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman.