1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Infinite Crisis" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by EinBebop, Oct 8, 2005.

1. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

I will answer your question with two of my own:

1) Does anything really have to change?

2) One old man flash, new Aquaman, Birthright has become Superman's continuity, Luthor is 'legit' again, Batman has shifted away from the jerk that everyone but Frank Miller had grown to hate. Who knows what's going to happen to Wonder Woman. Kyle Rayner is Ion. Martin Stein is part of Firestorm again. Bludhaven destroyed, and Nightwing relocated. Oh, I forgot the question: Aside from the fact that we don't have a multiverse again, what hasn't changed?

2. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

I still don't want to read this series :p.

-- Ed/Ace

3. Eddie G.

Eddie G. Former Wolf/Writer.

Also, Superboy may have popped up in Clark's past, Wonder Woman travels by invisible plane, and Batman not only knows who killed his parents but the bastard was arrested, and there has been a huge change to the Marvel family.

The one thing I'm confused with is that with this interview on Newsarama, Didio said that everyone is going to remember what they've experienced which makes it come off that Bruce will remember stuff like Lex trying to make him think that Metallo was the one who killed his parents even if that never happened now.

4. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

That's Clark as Superboy.

She's had that since Byrne's run 10 years ago.

This is just retconning the retcon Zero Hour did of getting rid of Year Two. A change, but just getting rid of something that was a part of post-Crisis continuity at some point.

There is absolute truth to this. There's nothing I can refute.

Or everyone remembering Matrix Supergirl, but at the same time Matrix Supergirl never existed. All issue 7 and Didio's comments this week accomplished was making the DCU more confusing. If OYL happened after IC ended, it would've sold a lot worse. Because everything petered out right quick.

5. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

She had that living invisible thing which would assume the shape of a plane, but it was killed. And not really the same thing. She got this new (old?) plane from the earth-2 wonder woman.

6. J-Ranger

J-Ranger John Stewart

Um, actually Birthright is being replaced with a new origin. One that integrates Man of Steel, Earth 2 Superman, and Superboy Prime's origin into one

7. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Active Member

How is Aquaman new?

Old man Flash is lame, always has (sorry, I've never been a fan of him).

What is Birthright?

What was wrong with Batman? He was always a dick.

Who is Martin Stein?

8. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Howdy,

I'm guessing you haven't been following much of the DCU lately. Not that this is a bad thing -- it's been pretty confusing lately.

No more hook for a hand and a new swords-and-sorcery bent, as of issue #40 of his monthly comic. Here's our thread about the debut.

A mini-series re-telling Superman's origin story, which is now the "canonical" one I suppose. It's out in trade. Some people got upset at it because it seemed to pull in a lot of stuff from Smallville (like Clark and Lex being friends when they were teens in Smallville) and turned Clark into a vegetarian.

He's less of one now in the "One Year Later" titles, though some think he wasn't really that much of a jerk in the pre-OYL comics.

Half of Firestorm
    . Or he was, and now is again.

-- Ed/Ace

9. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

What Ace said---new guy with the same name apparently...

No way---Jay Garrick (the original Flash's name) rules. Plus always liked the Mercury fish-bowl headgear... :)

As Ace said, Superman's current origin story (written a few years ago by Mark Waid), which seemed to get rid of various aspects of Byrne's version in favor of bringing back older pre-"Crisis on Infinite Earths" elements (such as being sent from Krypton as a baby vs. a fetus) and elements of the pre-Crisis Superboy/"Smallville" (the Lex-Clark relationship)...

Yeesh. Don't get me started (*please*).

Only if you've only been exposed to his comics published within the last 10 years or so---Batman's *not* always been a dick, but acted like an actual human being until sometime after "Zero Hour"...

One-half of Firestorm (a genius professor).

10. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Actually Superboy Prime is more powerful than the current Superman. He cant move planets or fly at lightspeed. Prime can.

I thought he got rid of the hook hand a long time ago for the magic water one. Maybe I missed something.

11. Goodfellow

Goodfellow Active Member

Aw, here I was hoping they'd make For All Seasons they origin story. :sad:

As long as Year One is still canon, I can deal with whatever changes they did to Batman.

12. Jin Kazama

Jin Kazama Hawkguy
    Staff Member Moderator

I loved the last page. It really reminded me of the original Crisis' last page with Psycho Pirate. I'm not sure how I feel about him still being alive (as it insinuates that there could be another episode with him), though.

It did seem to feel like it just fizzled off, though, just turning into a generic "every hero v. every villian" ending. But at least it was a good everyone v. everyone battle, to it wasn't so bad.

I sort of wished for a moment, though, that Bart would be the official new Flash. It would work perfectly with him taking the super-hero thing seriously now. Or, did, I guess.

13. sdp

sdp miscrave

just read it today, i dont' know how i feel about it, i think this crisis should have lasted 12 issues, i don't know, i mean we had a crap load of tie in titles and mini series that lead up to the event while the event could have been so much more massive, plus they had so many chances to do so many different things but didn't, oh well. it ws still a nice read.

14. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Heh... :)

-B.
    Still gagging over the excessive amount of shock-value violence and blood/seeing favorite old characters and minor oldies (Kal-L, Superboy-Prime, etc.) treated like chumps/etc., from what he saw perusing it at the store...

15. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

I usually dont condone heroes killing but Superboy Prime is far too dangerous to be left alive. He's insane and kills with ease and without any regard. He has one of the highest body counts of anybody Ive seen in comics. Now he's guarded by 50 GL's at all times so he wont escape. That sound secure but all it takes is for someone to shut down the GL rings and he'll be free.

16. Max Mercury

Max Mercury Member

So what's going on with the Flashes? Let me try to get this straight... the original Flash (Jay) is the only one left because his powers aren't derived from the speed force? And then Bart's the only one that made it out, except he's older and doesn't have his powers because the speed force doesn't exist anymore? What about Wally West and Max Mercury? Is Barry Allen dead? How exactly did all this happen?

Again, this story was pretty complex and not in a good way, but I felt compelled to keep up with it just so I knew what was going on with a lot of my favorite characters.

17. Beat

Beat Retired

Well SOMETHING needs to trigger the next crossover. Leaving the ultimate Silver Age fanboy alive is a disaster waiting to happen.

18. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Right about the new plane. I forgot about that. But in remembering, I also remembered that her invisible jet/organism actually became the buildings, etc. of Themyscria. So it's still been around.

And for the record, I don't believe for a second that ahole Batman is gone for good. For crying out loud, the Batbooks had a 9-month crossover whose ultimate goal was to get rid of that characterization and to get rid of the "Bruce Wayne is the mask" line that had been going for years. And then the next writer comes in (Loeb and "Hush", which was a wretched story, but I digress) and completely ignores that, and three years later we had to be told he went on a year-long trip around the globe to lose it again. He'll be barking orders and not caring again in no time at all.

19. Knight

Knight Emerald Knight

Does anyone find it odd that the world SuperboyPrime wants back is our own. The one we are living in right now. The Prime earth is the one us readers are from. I dont know about anyone else but I dont want Prime back here.lol.:p

20. Somejerk

Somejerk Member

I was actually thinking about that. I thought it was pretty cool that I wasnt the only one who it occured to