1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Infinite Crisis" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by EinBebop, Oct 8, 2005.

1. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

[​IMG]

(Summaries re-edited to include some stuff I left out...)

Infinite Crisis doesn't TECHNICALLY start until next week, but most of the preludes have wrapped up, and a couple of books have already begun their Infinite Crisis storylines, and this week's books had "Infinite Crisis is Here!" tags across the top.. So now seemed like a good time to get this rolling.

So, in case you missed anything, here are my summaries of everything that has happened/is happening, leading into Identity Crisis. If you haven't read this last week's comics, now's a good time to turn back...

Day of Vengeance (Mini-series Talkback) – Seduced by Eclipso, The Spectre had declared war on the realm of magic, and the mightiest of the magic community were out of commission. The ShadowPact succeeded in banishing Eclipso into orbit around the sun, but Spectre killed the wizard Shazam and shattered the Rock of Eternity, scattering pieces of the Rock and other magical artifacts (including the Blue Beetle scarab) throughout the world, and allowing the Seven Deadly Sins to escape. The Rock of Eternity materialized over Gotham City before exploding, taking a large portion of the city with it. Billy Batson was last seen tumbling to the ground, unable to remember the words that transform him to Captain Marvel. The Shadowpact, with Phantom Stranger returned, has vowed to remain together to continue pursuing the Spectre and deal with the magical fallout.

The OMAC Project (Mini-series Talkback) – In ‘Countdown to Infinite Crisis’, Blue Beetle was killed by Maxwell Lord when Beetle discovered that Lord had taken over Checkmate and a satellite used by Batman to monitor Earth’s heroes. Max’s goal was to eliminate all superheroes, and began sending out deadly robots called OMACS after the heroes who were getting too close. Maxwell Lord used his mind control powers to take control of Superman, and Wonder Woman stopped Max the only way she could think of: snapping Maxwell Lord’s neck. This set into motion the ‘kingisdead’ protocol- the computer, “Brother Eye” began putting several world-threatening scenarios into action before releasing the OMACS - all 1,373,462 of them! The heroes were able to lure most of the OMACS to one place so Batman could initiate an EMP to deactive many OMACS. Sasha Bordeaux, Checkmate agent under Maxwell Lord and former lover to Batman, stopped many more by releasing a virus to deactivate them. Sasha has been turned into a half-human / half-next-generation-Omac hybrid by Brother Eye.

Batman's ties to Brother Eye, Wonder Woman's killing of Maxwell Lord, and Superman's near-murder of Batman have eroded their mutual friendship. Brother Eye and 200,000 OMACS are still at large, and Brother Eye sent out a transmission around the world of Wonder Woman killing Maxwell Lord.

Rann-Thanagar War (Mini-series Talkback) – The Planet Rann was transported into the heart of the Polaris System, destabilizing Thanagar's orbit. It was a big old space drama that I couldn’t follow too well, but it would appear that at that a full-blown intergalactic war was about to break out, despite the fact that a HUGE rip of the space/time fabric has appeared. Oh, and Evil Thanagarian diety Onimar Synn was destroyed. Hawkwoman Shayera Thal was killed by Blackfire.

The Return of Donna Troy – Donna Troy, alive and well on the other side of the galaxy, was fighting alongside the Titans of Cronus, who were manipulating her mind to make her forget her past life. With the help of several of her old friends- members of the Teen Titans and the Outsiders, she was able to regain her memory. She discovered that the Titans were using her because she was the combined product of several dissimilar beings across a thousand universes combined together- the reason she continues to be reborn- and that this gave her the power to open a door to other universes. The Titans wanted to leave this universe, so Donna opened a door for them—to Tarterus. Hyperion and Thia were warned before they entered the door, and Donna and her friends used a Sun Eater to consume them. Donna’s Titan husband, Coeus, bound himself to Tarterus to prevent the other Titans of Myth from leaving. Donna chose to remain alone on New Cronus, and discovered one of her alternate earth lives was was Dark Angel, who recorded the Multiverse’s histories for the Anti-Monitor just as Harbinger did for the Monitor. Reading the histories, Donna discovered why the Titans wanted out of this universe… “I see old friends returning, but also death. I see the end of everything coming far too quickly. And it is TERRIBLE. This is too much- too big! I need HELP!”

JLA – “A Crisis of Consience” – Following up on Identity Crisis, several formerly mindwiped supervillains united for revenge on the Justice League. The League stopped the villains, but the person behind the memory restoration, Despero, was able to bring several league members under his control. The League defeated Despero, but the team all but disbanded. J’onn figured out that Batman wasn’t so much upset by his own mindwipe as the possibility that Catwoman, a former Supervillain Society member, might’ve had her personality altered. J’onn J’onzz and John Stewart put themselves to the task of building a new JLA, and J’onn realized that all of the major events going on recently were somehow connected. But before he could share his theory, he was confronted by someone the League computer identified as Superman, and the Watchtower exploded.

Villains United (Mini-series Talkback) – Luthor has been uniting the villains of the DC Universe, many afraid or angry about having their minds played with by superheroes, and woe to those who don’t choose to join. A group of villains united against Luthor’s group, and Mockingbird assumed control of the group, his reasons as unclear as exactly how this mini-series will affect the events of Infinite Crisis. The Secret Six (Catman, Cheshire, Deadshot, Parademon, Ragdoll III, and Scandal Savage) with unwitting assistance from a captured Firestorm have shut down a plot to mind-wipe all heroes on Earth. But the most noteworthy event of this series is that Luthor has recently brought two villains into the fold central to CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: Lady Quark and Pariah. Pariah is something of a prophet, and only appears when something really bad is going to happen. He told Luthor: “"You think you're this planet's apex predator. But there's another. And I don't think you'll survive his coming!" Luthor revealed to Pariah that he was not the REAL Luthor before killing Pariah, and Mockingbird was revealed to be the real Lex Luthor.

JSA Classified – “Power Trip” – Power Girl’s powers have gone all wonky since Supergirl showed up, and she’s been having weird hallucinations tied to the mystery of where she came from. Finally, the person behind the hallucinations, Psycho Pirate (noteworthy for being one of the very few people who remembers the original crisis), who is working for Lex Luthor, revealed himself to Power Girl, and told her: "We're going to take a trip, you and I. And you'll finally understand I'm only trying to help you. Worlds lived...worlds died...but you survived!" Power Girl broke free, but not before Psycho Pirate revealed her Earth-2 origins to her, which seemed to satisfy Luthor. Kara was subsequently attacked by the Secret Society, taking her right into Infinite Crisis #1.

The Crisis Begins...

In JSA 77, Airwave was being driven mad by intergalactic transmissions, which were traced to New Cronus, where they met Donna Troy. Donna asked Alan Scott and Airwave to travel with here to the center of New Cronus to find the source of these messages. In JSA 78, the team, investigating the disappearance of both Dr. Fate and Thunderbolt/Jakeem, found Nabu in control of Fate again. Nabu opened up a portal for the JSA to go to the fifth dimension, but were attacked by Mordu, just escaped from the weakened wizard Shazam before the Spectre attacked, leaving heroes injured on both sides of the portal. In the fifth dimension, Hourman, the only JSA member on that side not injured, found Thunderbolt who told him that Jakeem had somehow become the conqueror of the fifth dimension.

And in the Outsiders, Deathstroke cut a deal with demon Sabbac, promising he would be set free if he joined the united villains. The Sinister Six broke Mammoth out of prison, apparently with Sabbac’s help. The Outsiders arrived to stop the Sinister Six at exactly the same moment that the wizard Shazam died and the Seven Sins were set free. Sabbac somehow ensnared the Seven Sins into his being, making him almost unimaginably powerful.

Over in Catwoman, Batman apparently plans to let Catwoman in on the whole mindwipe thing. What about the main Batman titles? How will Jason Todd tie into IC? How much impact did Day of Vengeance have on Batman's world? Or will the Bat-titles kinda be doing their own thing for the most part?

In Wonder Woman, Brother Eye obviously wants revenge on Wonder Woman, and appears to be sending several OMACs to Themyscara.

The Guardians of the Universe know something's up... they're recruiting and training as quickly as they can, and there will now be TWO Green Lanterns in every sector. The Guardians have told Kilowog that the universe is about to change.

And Superman's all not trusting himself after the whole mind control thing, and convinced that Pete Ross was NOT Ruin, the mysterious villain who knows his secret identity.

So there it is, and I am, for the most part, enjoying it. Have a blast. :)

#1 EinBebop, Oct 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2006
  2. Jack Frenzy

Jack Frenzy Monkey-King-in-Training

Excellent summary.

A few addenda, though.

Day of Vengeance: The Rock of Eternity materialized over Gotham City before exploding, taking a large portion of the city with it.

The OMAC Project: Sasha Bordeaux, Checkmate agent under Maxwell Lord and former lover to Batman, has been turned into a half-human / half-next-generation-Omac hybrid by Brother Eye. She is assisting Batman in his counterattack on Brother Eye. Meanwhile, Batman's ties to Brother Eye, Wonder Woman's killing of Maxwell Lord, and Superman's near-murder of Batman have eroded their mutual friendship.

Rann-Thanagar War: Evil Thanagarian diety Onimar Synn was destroyed. Hawkwoman Shayera Thal was killed by Blackfire.

The Return of Donna Troy: It's a little ambiguous, but Harbinger may have also been a counterpart of Donna's.

Villains United: The Secret Six (Catman, Cheshire, Deadshot, Parademon, Ragdoll III, and Scandal Savage) with unwitting assistance from a captured Firestorm have shut down a plot to mind-wipe all heroes on Earth.

The Crisis begins...

In Wonder Woman, Brother Eye is obsessed with avenging Maxwell Lord's death, and the deranged computer is targeting Wonder Woman.

So far, it appears that a grand story is in the works. I only hope it lives up to the hype.

3. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

Thanks! I knew I was probably overlooking some stuff, and that in particular was a VERY important little factoid.
    Yeah, what about that? Why would they choose Gotham as the place to give the highest proliferation of magical artifacts... I'm thinking: 1)The most obvious answer: a specific storyline... pre-Crisis, post crisis or both? 2) Instead of a big story, to put a more magical element in Gotham in general for telling different kinds of smaller stories. 3) Introduce new villains and change up current ones. Poison Ivy magically reincarnated?

Do Batfans find these possibilities a good thing or a bad thing?
    I actually considered that story part of the prelude, since it ends at the same time as OMAC #6. Was definitely a worthwhile read, though.... I enjoyed watching her DOMINATE the OMAC, and the reaction of her (and the people around her) to Brother Eye's shocking retalliation at the end.

#3 EinBebop, Oct 8, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2005
  4. Jack Frenzy

It might have something to do with the recent introduction in Gotham Central of "Jim Corrigan," a Gotham City cop with the same name and appearance as the Spectre's original host. Don't know much about him, but previews for #38 are suggestive (or misleading -- these days you can't trust anything DC puts in previews.)

I found it interesting simply because it broke -- in dramatic fashion -- the traditional divide between the "DC-universe" outside Gotham and the "Bat-universe" in Gotham. It's been an unwritten law for years that the Batbooks will not depict any elements of the greater DCU which might raise the conflicts/technology to "super-levels."

For example, Batman has a JLA transporter in the Batcave, but it never appears in the Batbooks. Why? Because it might open the way for Batman to go teleporting around Gotham.

I considered it part of the beginning Crisis because:

5. Singularity

Singularity Dullard.

Other reason for the mass OMAC deactivation was that Sasha hacked into the system and commanded them all to shut down. Brother Eye was able to stop her before she deactivated all of them, but she did take out quite a few.

Luthor's current obsession with Supergirl is probably notable, but I doubt it.

6. Damien

Damien Watching

Thanks for the summaries! I was way way way behind.

Quickness: You mentioned not knowing where Jason Todd stood. I haven't read Batman in awhile. It is indeed Todd? How did he come back? And how's the Joker after that beating he took?

P.S.: The mind-altering in "Identity Crisis" was cool, but does it seem to anyone else that maybe it's gone too far now? It's almost Nazism, the scale to which these heroes did this.
    I'm especially perturbed about Catwoman being altered, both at the heroes and the writers.

7. J-Ranger

J-Ranger John Stewart

Yeah it is Jason for a fact, DNA proved it but Batman is still reluctant to believe. We don't know how he came back but he says that he will be a better vigilante than Batman because he is willing to cross that line of murder if he has to. And I can't remember but I think Joker is still out with his beating, I don't think we saw him after it.

8. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

Thanks to those who corrected/added to the summaries. I went back and added a few things, and they should now be pretty complete for those who want to catch up going into Infinite Crisis issue #1. Thanks!

9. Geezil

Geezil Out Here

what the hey.......!!!!!!!

In other words, if we close our eyes and wait this out, it'll be 1985 again in the Original DC Multiverse?!??!!??? That's it ... I'm staying on the vintage cartoon boards next door, where migraines are harder to come by. :sweat:

10. Clayface

Clayface Molecularly Malleable Mod

Issue #1 hits stores today.

Einbop, I edited your first post to include links to the various mini-series talkbacks. Hope you don't mind! :cool:

11. Singularity

Singularity Dullard.

Newsarama has the real cover to #2 if you click on the Power Girl. Be warned that it will hit you in the face with a massive revelation. No, it's not the fact that Jim Lee has to make every woman into a babe.

12. J-Ranger

J-Ranger John Stewart

Just finished reading it, it was a good read. Definitely a good way to start off the series, a lot of deaths. What was the name of that squad again? Was it Freedom Fighters?

13. Agent S7

Agent S7 Destined to Rock

Alright, J-Ranger. I haven't been keeping in much contact with this whole Crisis Sequel thing, so I beg you to tell me...

WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!!??

I thought that Crisis counseling thing would actually help, but, for some odd reason, it didn't. And how is this a sequel to the first crisis? (Shame on me, I never read that either, although I have heard about it.)
    I bought the issue and I am clueless to what is going on. I have a general idea, but I really don't know.

~A thoroughly confused
    s7

14. krazymed

krazymed Active Member

Over-hyped doesn't even begin to describe my frustration. That was probably one of the largest letdowns I've ever read.

Problem 1 - Too many things occuring at once. For all of the "To be Continued in Infinite Crisis 1" issues (lost count at 7), this issue did nothing to advance any of the stories, except the Bat-WW-Supes one. My feeling on this was that Infinite Crisis 1 should have been a graphic novel installment.

Problem 2 - The trio split up, what else is new? Throwing in Mongul did nothing but make me say "hmm, this scenario is looking a lot like that Alan Moore story." A re-hash of a good story because the art of storytelling is lost when there are 100 different comics that are only linked because they say "Infinite Crisis" at the top.

Problem 3 - The last page. More on that when I stop seething over it.

That's all for now.

15. Jack Frenzy

In a nutshell, this first issue:

1. Showed what the world is like after the conclusions of the various mini-series.

2. Had Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman meet together for the first time since the end of OMAC Project to show just how eroded their mutual friendship has become.

3. Revealed that whatever is behind all this must have something to do with Crisis On Infinite Earths, since:

16. Parallax

Parallax Active Member

That has to have been the most depressing super hero comic I have ever read.

=[

17. Somejerk

Somejerk Member

Hmm mixed feelings,
    Seemed pretty dark and dramatic but hasnt the whole past year or so been.

Is this on par with Killing the Crime Syndicate in the first issue of the Crisis?

Who knew where they were trapped or at peace, Alex could still get a haircut

18. melibell21

melibell21 She's a marshmallow

is it absolutely necessary to read Crisis on Infinite Earths???

and wut about Identity Crisis???

#18 melibell21, Oct 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
  19. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Yeah, it did seem to be a bit of a downer, didn't it?

Then again, none of the comics I picked up this week really left me with a good feeling, not even Gravity (which had a reasonably happy ending). Maybe I just wasn't in the right mindset when reading my comics today.

20. Somejerk

Somejerk Member

I think you can survive without Identity, if you know basically what happened (easy enough to find out on the boards) but as of right now I would have been completely lost with the couple of pages if I hadnt read Crisis on Infinite Earths.