1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

In which oldfolks gape aghast at how dark superheroes are now (major recent spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Shawn Hopkins, May 22, 2010.

1. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

This a reference to all DC heroes. Superman does NOT need a digital armor suit and plus his current persona projects no warmth or friendliness

And Even Batman would often project his more human side even in costume

2. Bat-Fan Beyond

Bat-Fan Beyond Active Member

I like the look of Superman's new armored costume, especially when drawn by capable artists like Jim Lee, but I'm still at a loss for why he has it, too. Have they even revealed yet what purpose it serves? The only comic I'm currently reading with Superman is Justice League, and they haven't said anything about it there. I gave Morrison's Action Comics the first six issues, but then I bailed, because it was just bad. And the regular Superman title just looked bad from the start and didn't have a creative team I was interested in at all, so I avoided it -- 'though I may try it once Lobdell and Rocafort take over.

So, yeah... why the armor?

3. Anthonynotes

Anthonynotes Active Member

Because it resembles the costume in the upcoming "Man of Steel" movie, which is more important (from Time-Warner's viewpoint) than the comics, that's why.

That, and it looks "modern" ("we got rid of those silly red trunks you guys all complained about! He looks kewl now!"). Guess just going back to the old "invulnerable fabric" idea wasn't as "cool"...

And anything would be better than his "Lil' Abner" "costume" that's supposed to be his "early days" outfit (jeans, boots, and a t-shirt?!)...

I'm just reading "Action" (I bailed on "Superman" after Perez left) as the only "New 52" title (long story short, I think the "New 52" bites).

4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Is there any hard data that a superhero movie raises interest in that superhero's comic book? If not, then why do they keep thinking this?

5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

I know I've said it a million times, but trunks just make sense. Covering your crotch with one thin layer of something like spandex is not a god idea, unless you want people to guess your religion. You can't wear a cup or padding, either, it would look bizarre.

Movies have minimal impact on comic purchasing. Comic nerds consume the movies but it doesn't work the other way around. There are probably way more Spider-man and Batman fans who have never read a comic than their are that have.

6. Bat-Fan Beyond

Thanks, but none of these are the answers I'm looking for. I'm not sure if you're just being funny or if you misunderstood my question. What I meant was what reason within the comic stories do they give for the armor's purpose? I think I remember reading somewhere that it's Kryptonian battle armor or something, but other than that, I'm at a loss. I mean, what reason would a "man of steel" need armor?

7. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

If it's Kryptonian battle armor, then it probably had use on Krypton and Superman might be wearing it as a symbol of some sort (to him, if to nobody else). I don't much like this explanation either, if only because I think it's fundamentally wrong-headed to link Superman to Krypton very much. The whole point of the exercise is that he's human in all but biology; the "he's from another planet" is not interesting in its own right and exists only to tell us how he can do the magical, wonderful things he does.

However, the reality is that I'm just guessing based on hearsay I'm reading in this thread. The only Superman comic I've cared about in recent years has been All-Star Superman and a good chunk of the Kurt Busiek run.

8. Anthonynotes

I was serious (since that is the reason), but didn't know you wanted the in-story reason given, so...

As for the new costume, they seem to be sticking with the S-logo-as-the-House-of-El symbol idea introduced in the 70s Superman movies (but not to the comics until IIRC the 2000s). Thus, Superman wears his costume in part as a way of honoring his Kryptonian heritage/identifying with such. The "New 52" seems to put a greater emphasis on Superman identifying with being from Krypton, a la the Silver/Bronze Age Superman. Except the Silver/Bronze Age Superman identified with Earth, too (and was close to his Earth friends, versus the tiresome "emo loner" feel of the New-52-Clark...though the most recent issue suggests he's become friends with Batman, at least...).

9. Bat-Fan Beyond

Cool, Thanks, I really appreciate the info.

But now I have to ask...

Does the armor do anything special? I mean, other than him wearing it in honor of his birthfamily and Krypton, does it grant him any extra defences or abilities? And does he wear it under his civilian clothes when he's in disguise as he did his old Pre-52 costume?

10. Anthonynotes

In the "present day" setting, guess he wears it under his clothes like normal (though I bailed on "Superman" after Perez left). In "Action Comics", he's shown switching between the armor and his "Lil' Abner" look (wearing the former for JL adventures, the latter when in Metropolis).

Other than honoring his birth family, a few Morrison story remarks suggests it's invulnerable (a la the pre-Crisis-on-Infinite-Earths costume), but otherwise, it doesn't seem to do or offer anything special, unless "no red trunks" counts as "special."

11. Bat-Fan Beyond

Thanks again... but...what...?

The Superman in Action Comics is part of the Justice League already? Has Morrison's Action Comics caught up to the present time? And yet he's still wearing his T-shirts, jeans and boots when he's in Metropolis? Doesn't this conflict with his look in the regular Superman series?

12. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

It's also able to change color schematics to apparently match different cultures.

13. Anthonynotes

"Action" is still apparently set in the past, but after he's joined the Justice League (he's seen conversing with Batman in the latest issue). Apparently he opted to only wear the armor costume on JL missions and the "Lil' Abner" one while in Metropolis... and eventually shifts to wearing only the armor costume full-time by the time of the present (as seen in "Superman").

14. Bat-Fan Beyond

Thanks for all the info, buddy!

So basically the new continuity so far goes something like this (?):
    • Action Comics #1 - 8 (Five years in the Past)
    • Justice League #1 - 6 (Five years in the Past, but after Action Comics #1 - 8)
    • Action Comics #9 and on* (Sometime between Justice League #6 & Superman #1)
    • Superman #1 and on (Present day)
    • Justice League #7 and on (Present day)
    *I believe Morrison said his run on Action Comics would end at issue #16, then it would be brought up to the present along with the Superman and Justice League titles.

15. Shawn Hopkins

Miss Martian is so cute. She might be a White Martian, but she's chosen to control that side and be one of the brighter points of the DC universe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miss Martian is just lighthearted fun.

16. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

What issue of what is that?

17. Shawn Hopkins

From Teen Titans 58 from 2008. The backstory is that Miss Martian's evil future self sometimes takes over her mind and goes trolling for anonymous bathroom sex, but this time the main personality woke up in the middle and wrecked, apparently killed, the two guys she had hooked up with.

You know, for kids!

My original plan for this thread was to provide a sort of exhibit of this kind of stuff, and this is one that I missed.