1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

In regards to "Greatest" threads (EVERYBODY PLEASE READ)

Discussion in 'Fun & Games' started by Jave, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Due to the recent burst of topics involving "Greatest ________ Ever" games, I'm going to ask everybody to refrain from making new ones until all the current ones are done (be it because all matches are done or it goes to the second page due to inactivity).

I appreciate everyone's efforts on keeping this board alive. If anybody has any suggestions on how these topics should be handled in the future, this is the thread to post them.

2. Charles Chimag

Charles Chimag I also find this amusing!

I'm surprised at the sudden interest in these things people are taking. I agree that five running tournaments is a reasonable number. I think that tournaments that are finished should be closed a week or so after they are finished, so that everyone has a chance to see it and give their opinion of the results, but so that they are also visibly done with.

3. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

Maybe this is a dumb idea, but I've been thinking the tournament threads should have their own forum so the Fun & Games forum has room for other stuff and doesn't get overcrowded. Just a thought

4. Dub C

Dub C Just a animation lovin' dude

Heh, this is good to know. There was one contest/tournament I was thinking about starting up here, but then I noticed all the tourneys already going on now. I'd be willing to wait a few weeks.

5. Lazerboy5000

Lazerboy5000 Catch 'ya Later!

I call dibs on the Greatest Song Ever Thread. :p

6. Charles Chimag

Charles Chimag I also find this amusing!

There really should be a new forum for this purpose - I'm thinking about a Greatest Fighter Ever thread.

EDIT 5/31/09 - Hey, I actually went through with it! I'm surprised no one else used it....

#6 Charles Chimag, Aug 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2009
  7. Prof. Mecavio

Prof. Mecavio The New No.2

I third the motion that all the tournaments should have their own forum, I have a feeling that it'd be more practical that way. Besides, I have a few ideas for "Greatest Ever" threads myself.

8. Jave

Jave Beware of the SPLAT
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

A sole forum for these topics seems a little excessive. As long as we keep it so that there around four or five currently going on it shouldn't be a problem.

Besides, there are so many ideas you can use for these type of games, it's only a matter of time until all the good stuff is taken.

And one last thing, Harley is the only person that can create new boards. With all the work she has currently backstage on the site, this wouldn't be a priority. ;)

9. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

The problem isn't that a new board is needed for this stuff. The problem is just that there's so many of these types of threads that giving them the attention they deserve is difficult. Before there was a half dozen of these the "favorite animated series" and "favorite villain" polls were getting a lot more votes and discussion than they are now. When you do too many of these things people just get burned out. Why is there another "favorite animated character" poll? Didn't one just end?

Starting a brand new forum for these gives people the incentive to go overboard with new polls in order to give the forum some reason for being. IMHO there should only be two (three tops) running at the same time.

10. Captain Highwind

Captain Highwind Active Member

I just pick whatever one interests me, which seems to be the video game one, and stick to it (I'm surprised it has so many titles in there that I really like...I'm also getting information on games I've never heard of and want to play now).

Having a seperate forum kind of loses the relevance if all I see is a wall of "greatest..." threads though. Having only 3-4 threads at a time makes it more appealing when new threads get created after the last ones are finished.

11. Daxdiv

Daxdiv Does this look like the face of mercy?

My idea to help this is to have a limit on how many nomination a person can have. I mean looking back at my thread, I really wanted more variety and posters to have a say. I was thinking like a number limitation like 4-8 per person. They can be separate posts, but as long as they nominate a certain number limit.

Also another idea is something like popularity. If two posters have the same thing nominated, it will go in. You know like "I nominate XXXXX for YYYYYY" Then someone says "I second that nomination" or just list it.

12. Lazerboy5000

I like the popularity idea. It would alow more vareity. Not just the first 64 that are nominated. That way, you can have maybe 100 or so nominations but 50 may be popular so those get into the tournment. The rest can be put in at random.

13. Daxdiv

But you need at least an even number divided by 8.

14. Galaxy 9000

Galaxy 9000 Active Member

I'll probably do greatest video game character ever after I finish with my greatest animated char ever.

15. HEATXZ

HEATXZ Duck Knght

I have some other Greatest___Thread ideas after I'm finish with the Greatest Hero Thread

16. Daxdiv

I had two. One was Greatest Video Game Character thread, though since GameFaqs is doing that right now, I have a mixed feeling about that, since Basically I was going to copy their rules. My other one is greatest Gaming Franchises.

17. Lazerboy5000

Well, yeah, but if 50 get multiple votes, then those 50 are in, then we can add 16 more out of the 50 left that only got one nomination.

I hope you understand what I was saying.

18. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think limiting how many votes one person can nominate sounds good. I tried to do that with "Greatest Animated Series Ever", but it ended up just being HG and I, since he didn't read my rules, and I kind of did want to get that done and over with.

And I want to do "Greatest Band Ever". Maiden or bust, btw.

19. Lazerboy5000

Yeah, I got the song thread. And Iron Maiden is a great band, but I would have to say Queen or bust for me. ;)

20. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Since we just finished one, are in the final match for another, and the final four for another, I think I might start my Greatest Band Ever game, as HG started his Greatest Movie one. The thing about these Greatest ____ Ever games is that they seem to be popular and gain quite a bit of activity, more so than the rest of the board has gained lately, so blocking anymore now doesn't seem like a smart move to me.