1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Image Comics' Eric Stephenson: "We are once again falling victim to our worst instincts"

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Wonder Woman, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Image Comics' Eric Stephenson made a great speech about the history of comics and why, once again, comic companies are getting greed and lettign short-term thinking dictate future plans. It's a great read for anyone interested in the medium and concerned about the current state of their favorite publishers:

The whole transcript is here:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/02...tephenson-addresses-comicspro/#comment-anchor

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Stunningly accurate. As someone who has dropped every last book I was readying over the years, the author shows great insight into what has turned me away.

This fad of a new #1 every few years needs to stop, as people have stopped buying into it. It also seems to create unnecessary changes to characters, most of which are illogical. I liked Dan Slott's run on Amazing and loved his Superior Spider-Man, but I am not buying this Tony Stark inspired revamp... Peter Parker is an everyman, albeit, a science prodigy, but still an everyman. Making him a globe trotting, tech based superhero simply isn't Spider-Man.

Most of the rest of the characters I liked are unrecognisable. Thor is a woman, The Falcon is Captain America, Daredevil has reverted to what it's spent the last 5 years avoiding... all for the sake of a new #1s off the back of another event.

And while this seems trivial in the grand scheme of things, every single last revamped costume looks utterly horrible.

No thank you.

• Agree Agree x 1