I'm worried about the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie...

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Yum, Aug 3, 2017.

?

Could Sonic work on the silver-screen?

1. Yes?

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yum

Yum Active Member

In truth, I really wish that the rights to SEGA's Sonic the Hedgehog series had gone to some other company other than Sony Pictures, especially if they're deciding to do it live-action. I've never even seen Deadpool, yet they hired the producer of that film for this one.

Oh, why did Sonic have to go to Sony?? The company that created the beloved timeless classic like 'The Emoji Movie'?? Are there ANY Sonic fans working down there that care about that franchise as much as the fandom does? I've SEEN the irrationality of those guys, and it is CRAZY. I just don't think that Sony is the studio to really handle the Sonic franchise. If anything, I think Disney could make a better Sonic movie, judging by Sonic's few cameos in Wreck-It Ralph. Their Sonic animations are just as good as the CG trailers used for the latest Sonic games.

I would be more relieved if Genndy Tartakovsky were given the task of directing; the guy KNOWS how to pull of both cartoony visuals and violent action, judging by the Hotel Transylvania franchise and Samurai Jack. He would be MORE than capable to pull off a good Sonic movie, especially since the character has defined the 2D generation of side-scrolling platforming.

The Sonic franchise as a whole from the beginning, had a fetish for vast, speedy environments, bursting with color and rather random and unorthodox structures, judging by the Japanese promotional art and Sonic CD of course. It's music was very melodious and iconic. That's what really cemented Sonic into my childhood. Putting a world like that into live-action is challenging. I feel that Tartakovsky(or Craig McCracken, Paul Rudish, Rob Renzetti)would be the guys to be able to successfully translate that bizzare Japanese take on the series to a Western audience, pleasing the adults that grew up with the games as well as intriguing younger audiences. Wander over Yonder is literally everything a good Sonic cartoon SHOULD have been; bizzare, vibrant environments, orgasmic soundtrack, over-the-top characterization, and most importantly, FAST ACTION. If the Wander crew were working on this movie, then I would be relieved.

The reason for my anxiety for the movie is that this is Sonic's first WESTERN big-screen appearance, and it being in live-action only increases that anxiety. I'm worried it will fall into the same trap as HOP, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Yogi Bear, Cars, Cats and Dogs and Smurfs. What if it doesn't respect the source material or translate it well enough?? What if it ends up shallow like Emoji?? What if there are no equally Sonic obsessed people working on the movie? So many things could go wrong! This movie could end up TARNISHING the Sonic franchise, much like the franchise itself, and end up failing to cater toward the Sonic fanbase, as well as the uninitiated.

I guess what I want most in a Sonic movie, if it had to be made, is to focus on the individualized environments Sonic visits, especially in the old Genesis games. The music also has to be enjoyable too. Many zones in those early Sonic games are capable of telling their own stories: Chemical Plant is a metallurgical chemical factory that produces this toxic blue goop; who could be behind it? And for what purpose? Studiopolis is this bold, and stylish skyscraper of a town consumed of technology and Eggman produced goods, and the music adds to its pop-culture indulging theme. Hill Top Zone gives off a hillbilly, country vibe, Spring Yard is more of an urban city, and Mirage Saloon is more wild west influenced. Marble Zone especially contains a lot of questions: what reduced this once prosperous kingdom into rubble and lava? Who was the owner of this castle? Why are there so many traps? Was it once a dungeon, or a castle? And obviously, Green Hill Zone MUST be integral to Sonic's history, as it was his first level: why does he keep running to those other generic Green Hills, like Emerald Hill, Palmtree Panic, Emerald Coast, Windy Hill, Seaside Hill, Neo South Island, Sunset Hill, take your pick, there has to be a connection between Sonic and the first level, maybe personal or even deep. Those early levels have as much personality and iconography as the characters themselves; it's the reason these games and franchise has endured throughout the ages.

But that's my opinion on what I think should be in a Sonic the Hedgehog movie. But what do YOU think should be prominent in the Western interpretation of Sonic the Hedgehog's silver screen appearance?

2. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

From a well known video game franchise it does have at least a better chance than other video game movies.

3. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

It's going to be terrible

Who really wants live-action Sonic?

Unfortunately it probably WILL kill off the franchise!

This begs the question:

Is Sega purposely trying to ruin Sonic?

As for the music...

Don't count on hearing any classic remixes!

Instead the movie would probably use regular orchestral crap

If Hollywood wants to continue adapting Japanese video games they're better off going with something that can easily work in a western setting like Zero Escape or Danganronpa

The only issue with a live-action adaptation of the latter is they would have to use CGI for Monokuma but that's it

Zero Escape can EASILY be adapted into a live-action movie

Sonic does NOT work in live-action (unless they make him CG)!

Stop turning games without a story into movies

Doing so would be a recipe for disaster!

Didn't they learn that from the failed Mario movie?

• Funny Funny x 1
    #3 Mikurotoro92, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  4. Yum

Yum Active Member

As I've stated before, Genndy Tartakovsky and Craig McCracken are the two people who I KNOW would be able to pull off a good Sonic movie.

5. Pacman7821

Pacman7821 Member

Yeah. They should of just made a animation only movie.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The movie project has moved to Paramount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Informative Informative x 2
  7. PF9

PF9 Member

The move to Paramount brings its original relationship with Sega full circle.

From 1969 (the year Paramount's TV division debuted the "Closet Killer" logo) until 1983-84, both companies were divisions of Charles Bluhdorn's conglomerate, Gulf and Western Industries. As you may remember, it was Gulf and Western which shut down what was once known as Famous Studios in 1967.

Not long after the company folded into Viacom, an episode of Animaniacs, "This Pun for Hire", referenced the company, when Hello Nurse tried to run off with the statue that served as the main plot device for the episode, she said, "I claim this statue in the name of Gulf and Western!", and Yakko said in response, "the pair of legs is working for Paramount!" (appearantly the producers weren't aware at the time of the studio's sale to Viacom).

8. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

Makes for a good move that it continues with Paramount.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Yum

Yum Active Member

I'd feel even better if the project were handled by Nicholas Stoller and Steve Martino(Horton Hears a Who, The Peanuts Movie)

10. Yum

Yum Active Member

The main thing I hope that this movie avoids is:
    No Gross Out Jokes
    No Pop Songs
    No Pop Culture references
    No Product placement
    No sidelining title characters for some weak romantic comedy story
    No overly 'realistic' designs on characters
    AND ESPECIALLY NO 'EMPOWERED' female lead!

11. Yum

Yum Active Member

I'm not too sure, because it's still live-action/CGI. Remember that old movie, Monster Trucks?