I'm disgusted and depressed at the reception of Sonic Forces

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Yum, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Yum

Yum Active Member

Lately, I've been studying the Youtube comments section of every Sonic Forces game released, and what I've seen is horrific. Thousands of comments saying, this level is too linear, or the classic Sonic is pointless, or this game is basically playing itself. When I look at gameplay videos for Sonic Lost World, there is thousands of arguments from ornery fans who hate that style of gameplay. And when I see comments asking for a 3rd Sonic adventure, I feel disappointed, because Takashi Izuka, the CEO of Sonic Team said he doesn't want to stagnate the franchise to give the fans what they want. Well, it sure would help to impress the many unsatisfied Sonic fans. I don't understand; people loved the boost gameplay in both Generations and Colors, so when they bring it back in this game, what caused all this hatred?

I've never actually played Unleashed or Colors, but I have played Generations, and for the most part, I find Modern Sonic incredibly lightweight and too speedy for me to fully control in a 3D environment, compared to Mario. I always fumble with the advanced control scheme, Sonic's movement is slippery, and I like being precise when platforming, and it isn't easy for me to get onto alternate pathways, like in the beginning of Speed Highway, and I've died more than once on Seaside Hill. I really don't understand why people like it.

I've never played any of the Adventure titles either, but I hear that they're incredibly glitchy, and shoddily made and hold up poorly compared to Super Mario 64. I would like to play the Adventure titles one day and see how they play, sometime though.

The control scheme in Lost World(3DS) with the run button, double jump, parkour engine, infinite spin dash and wind kick, that I actually found much more intuitive and manageable, and I actually prefer that style of gameplay to the boost formula. The problem is, the level design, half the time is too challenging and tedious in the later levels; I particularly hated Tropical coast: act 3 where I had to control the drill wisp underwater, and I kept going down instead of up because I'm not used to controls like that. There's an uncecessary focus on wisp powers that make the game more tedious for me. Also, an unreasonable amount of puzzles you have to deal with. If only the level design were more like Windy Hill, where you could just run through it with little to no consequence, getting used to the control scheme instead of this obvious filler that detracts from what could have been a fun experience.

I'm just not sure what to do; at one point I feel like punching and wrestling Takashi Izuka for not listening to the region of the world that Sonic got his popularity from the most, the American region, to satisfy the Sonic fanbase.
    I wish I were a successful game developer, so I could develop my Sonic game using that Lost World control scheme, but have it less frustrating than the game it was based off of.

From what I hear, it seems like Sonic Team is an incompetent development , studio. What are your thoughts on what Sonic Team should do? Or rather, tell me rationally what exactly IS the matter with Sonic Forces, and how to alleviate them.

2. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

I've felt for some time, that Sonic Team (and by extension, Sega themselves) has been focusing less on making the best Sonic games they can make, and more on responding to criticism, and trying to give everyone (including themselves) what they want so nobody has to complain, which as you've mentioned people have been doing anyway. When I first heard that this would once again feature "Genesis-era" Sonic and "Dreamcast-era, and later" Sonic in the same game, I immediately figured that was simply another attempt to please the fans (at least where I stand), and then there's the ability to create your own character. I figured that this was clearly being done in order to address criticisms about whether Sonic should be the only playable character, or whether they should be other playable characters. My guess is that this may have been their way of trying to "split the difference". Also, along with Sonic Mania, this may as well be Sonic Generations 2, even if Sega says it isn't.

It just seems to me that either Sega or Sonic Team are considering whether or not they want to do Sonic games anymore. To me, it seems like the reason everyone keeps complaining is that Sega/Sonic Team have been trying to please instead of giving everyone their best. However, I can't stress this enough: You can't please everyone. Yet, Sega seems to be more afraid of what "the fans" (as they see them) will think if they do this or that, or of they don't do this or that.

However, all of this is just how I see it. I mean, who knows what's going on at Sega or Sonic Team. I can only hope that things do get better...

3. ShadowBlinky

ShadowBlinky Grape Groupie of Snoopy

Besides, reading YouTube comments is like banging your head on the wall because it feels so good when you stop.

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be surprised about the reception, usually there are cases when fans tend to be spiteful towards a Sonic game,while others tend to really enjoy them, much like Sonic Unleashed being one of those games.

5. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I'm sorry, but any demo that only allows you to play through 1 minute of something and that's it =/= a game worth getting excited about, honestly... Then again, Sonic Mania was made by different people (e.g.: not Sonic Team.). I'm convinced for a new Sonic game to succeed in the future, it will need to be made by someone who ain't Sonic Team. Why? Because only making a demo's stages playable for 1minute tells me nothing good about your game, let alone makes it worth playing for real.

Proof...

6. Looney Turtles

Looney Turtles Active Member

With Sonic's notorious fanbase, is this really any surprise? They have the reputation of being very hard to please.

If this game is like Sonic Colors and Generations, then I think I'll enjoy it. I'm not getting it quite yet though. I'm fine with Sonic Mania for now.

7. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Sonic Team and Sega should put Sonic to rest, that's what I think. For years the games have been mediocre at best, with Generations perhaps being one of the recent exceptions, but this latest Sonic Forces entry is utterly terrible just like Sonic Mania which is even worse. Sonic Forces is basically just Sonic Generations 2 with custom characters, which is really the worst thing you can do to an iconic series, and Sonic Mania is basically just an updated re-release of the old games - in other words both titles bring almost nothing new. It just seems like they don't know what to do with the franchise at this point - partially because of the split fanbase that wants both old and new things and partially because of themselves not being able to push themselves and create something fresh due to limited options the franchise provides. So I'd rather they let Sonic be, instead of further damaging the IP, than putting out bad products.

8. Looney Turtles

I couldn't disagree more. Sonic Mania is awesome. If you ask almost any Sonic fan, they'll tell you that it's one of the best Sonic games to date, and I agree. Sonic Mania is meant to be like the old games to appeal to us older Sonic fans. Sure, Sonic Mania has some of the old stages, but they are redone to the point that they almost feel like new stages, along with some all new stages to balance it out. It's really what Sonic 4 should have been. The gameplay of the original Sonic games wasn't broken, so why fix it?

9. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

To that @Looney Turtles I must ask why re-release it in the first place? Anniversary aside, Sonic Mania seems like insurance on Sega's part in case Sonic Forces flops - which it did since it's genuinely bad as most fans and outlets agree. Gameplay of the original games wasn't broken, true, but it is too little at this point (25+ years later) to be amazing. It's quite simple and dated. If I want to play the old games I can just play them properly one by one on various platforms and don't need a rehashed facelifted semi-collection that is creatively lacking and out there to not lose fans entirely. Nostalgia can work for only so long.

10. Looney Turtles

I can't call it dated at all. The Genesis Sonic games have aged really well to this day, and Mania proves that. It's a game I (and many other Sonic fans) have been wanting to see made in the last 20 years, and it delivered. Lacking creativity? I beg to differ, the game has a lot of new mechanics to offer, even within some of the old stages. It feels like a perfect progression from the Genesis games.

Don't dismiss the game as "bad", just because you don't like its premise.