1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm debating with myself whether I should get a PS2 or GC.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by I.R Joey, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Vin

Vin DVDtoons.com

Playstation 2

I, myself, really want to get Playstation 2 because I currently have Playstation. So, instead of buying a new system and having to start buying a whole library worth of games, new controllers, multi-tap, I can just transfer my Playstation games over to PS2. I hope so at least. Hey Hatter, do you know if I can use my Playstation controllers, memory cards, and multi-tap on Playstation 2? If so, then I'm defintely in luck. Plus, a DVD player! The only thing I would have to figure out is if I have to get an adapter for the back of very small tv.

Twisted Metal: Black here I come!!

2. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Eh? You're a game designer? Dare I ask which company you work for, or even what you're working on? It would be truly neat to play something designed by someone I've encountered on the boards...

And Vince, welcome to the wacky world of PS/PS2 compatibility. Nearly all the PS games are compatible on a PS2, and the PS2 has an option you can turn on that makes some PS games look a bit smoother. Controllers are no problem as well, since PS and PS2 controllers are almost identical.

But memory cards and multitaps? Oh dear. Yes, you can use a PS multitap to play PS games on a PS2. In fact, you have to... you can't use a PS2 multitap to play PS games on a PS2. And neither can you use a PS multitap to play PS2 games. Memory cards are the same thing: you HAVE to use PS memory cards to save PS data, and you HAVE to use PS2 cards to save PS2 data. So the compatibility isn't perfect.

And it's very nice having a DVD player, even if it is low-end...

3. Vin

Vin DVDtoons.com

Ugh...

Thanks alot Hatter. Guess I'll have to end up spending more money than I had hoped. Well, hopefully I'll be able to get it soon. Thanks again!

4. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

All of you have reminded me why I'm leaning more towards The Game Cube. (the price too...)

I'm still a little worried on the Playstation2 front because of my....hunger. See I only bought a Playstation in the first place because of the one and only stand up arcade I would ever play. Marvel vs. Capcom (and it's constituents, X-Men vs. Streetfighter, etc. I've even gotten to liking "Capcom vs. SNK" which I tried for the first time yesterday).

I think Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (which is a REAL complicated stretch from the first, lemme tell ya) is only out for Playstation2. I need my nindendo installment, but I need to feed my awkward hunger too. There's a lot I have to learn with MvC2 and it aint gonna happen quick! ;) :D

Is there any word on platform status for Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Capcom vs. SNK?? Something down Nintendo's way?

5. Frozen

Frozen When Hell freezes over.

Well, I'm an artist for a games studio - I design characters, produce 'front end' illustrations, concept artwork and the like. I'm bursting to show people the work I'm doing at the moment, but my 'confidentiality clause' forbides me to, sadly...

6. The Mad Hatter

Confidentiality clause? Drat. Ah well. Still, when the game comes out, I hope there's a way you can at least point us in its general direction.

As for Nightwing's comments:

Personally, I don't think a PS2 would be a bad investment, but I know a lot depends on what games you want to play. Again, a PS2 and Gamecube together will cover 99% of console games, but I know a lot of people can't afford both.

Ah, Marvel vs. Capcom 2. My favorite fighter, since it's so ludicrously over the top. There's nothing quite like the look on my friend's faces when Tron Bonne unleashed that army of servbots. Anyway, the game is out for Dreamcast, and that's likely where it'll stay. The good news is that since the Dreamcast is tanking, you can find one for real cheap. They're retailing for $70-$80 at stores, and the price will drop to $50 at Christmastime. I'll bet you can find them even cheaper on pawn shops or ebay. And I'm sure MvC2 is cheap, too.

As for Marvel vs. SNK... Dreamcast again. Most likely no others, sorry. Marvel vs. SNK2, however, will likely show up on the PS2. Not sure about the Gamecube, but I'm sure that with the E3 buzz, there are lots of new projects we haven't heard about, so there's always hope.

7. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

To Hatter and Frozen.

Are either of you going to the Tokyo Game show or Spaceworld, if you are fill us in on stuff there.

Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is on Dreamcast only, for now.

Capcom Vs. SNK 2: Will be on PS2 and Dc, and you'll be able to play it online IE a person could be playing against someone on another console. I wrote an article about it.

If you like 2d fighters you definately can't go wrong with a Dreamcast, with both SNK and Capcom content on it.

8. The Mad Hatter

Nope, I'm not going to either of those. I'd love to, but the only way I was able to get to E3 was because work paid for it.

Oh, and currently Capcom is waffling about whether to bring SNK vs. Capcom 2 to the Dreamcast, according to ign.com.

But you're right, the Dreamcast is loaded with fighters.

9. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

Oddly enough, I'm not a fighter game person. :) Marvel vs. Capcom (and all of it's children of course) is the only stand up arcade I'm interested in. Same goes with Half Life being the only PC game I'm interested in. So aside from Nintendo's stuff, I'm not really a gamer, I'm just....here. lol

Yeah I heard a bit about Capcom vs. SNK 2 but I don't really think I'm interested. My interests now are on Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and most likely Capcom vs. SNK. As of now a Dreamcast is only $100, so that and the games probably wouldn't be that bad, but either way I'm waiting.

I just payed for my lap tops upgrade (memory and hard disk), I want a memory card for my digital camera, and there's the matter of picking up The Game Cube. Good gravy, life is expensive! lol.