1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm debating with myself whether I should get a PS2 or GC.

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by I.R Joey, Jul 23, 2001.

1. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

BTW please don't let this be some kind of Board war.

So anyway I was fixing to go get myself a PS2 with my B-Day money (by the way my Birthday was the 20th) and the Tax rebate thing. I wanted Zone of the Enders (I'm like the only one not buying it for the Demo :D :p ,) Armored Core 2, and Virtru Fighter 4, But then I thought.

"Heck Spaceworld (Nintendo's much hyped game show, a mini-
    E3 if you will) is coming in just a few weeks, and maybe I should wait to see what happens there. Nintendo might release so great games, and it is perhaps the only console this gen that will have tons of exclusives (1st and 2nd party.) But as it stands the launch line up for the Cube and the Box aren't really that appealing to me. "

I already know 3 games I want for PS2, and at least 1 I want to rent.

Opinions anyone?

Funny story. My brother asked me if he could take my VF3 now since I'm getting Virtru fighter 4, when I laughed and said heck no... he told me I was stingy and stuff. :p

Thoughts.

2. optimal321

optimal321 The Manhunter from Mars

Let me start off by wishing you a happy belated birthday! Now, about the games; i don't know which is better. I just know that i'm probably gonna get the Gamecube just because i've stuck w/ Nintendo thus far, and i'm probablly gonna.

3. The Mad Hatter

The Mad Hatter Whyyyyy'sis heead so biiiiiig?

Get an Xbox!!!

Kidding.

Well, since more and more games are going multi-platform, since the Gamecube is so easy to port for, I think a major factor in your decision would be which first-party games are most appealing to you. Do you think that Gran Turismo is the ultimate thing out there? Or are you more intrigued by the new Zelda? If I had to pick one or another, I'd do some long hard research into the first party games and see which crop gets you more excited. Personally, I'd get both just to cover all the bases, but I know that's not always possible.

Oh, Zone of the Enders wasn't that great. It's certainly pretty, but you only fight three mechs over and over and over, plus it's really short. I'd rent that one first.

4. icecold

icecold Guest

Unless you wan't a DVD player too I suggest GC. The only reason I'm still thinking of getting a PS2 is because of MGS2 and Batman: Vengeance but I heard that they're porting MGS2 to multiple platforms and GC is getting Batman: Dark Tomorrow, so I'll just wait and see.......

5. Bird Boy

Bird Boy WF Admin
    Staff Member Moderator

I prefer nintendo over PS2..but...from a HONEST non-hating either systems oppinion..well..lets just see.

GC is $100 cheaper. Mainly because it has no DVD player. PS2 is $300 because it has a DVD player. If your buying the system for strictly gaming..get GamECube, if you are buying it for more than gaming..get PS2. sorta hard I know, but I'm getting GC anwyay.. :)

oh..and Happy B-B-Day!!! :)

-BB

6. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I don't know if this is true, but I recall reading that the PS2 is difficult to program for (like the N64 was). Nintendo, I know for a fact, has publicly admitted to the problems of the N64 and stated that it will be easy for programmers to use the full potential of the system. Based on that and the fact that it's newer, I'd say go with the GC. And GC should be less expensive, right?

I don't have a PS2, so the above is just based on what I've read, heard, and observed. But, it doesn't seem likely to me that the GC will have a weak game selection. And since it'll be newer and cheaper, it seems like a definite win situation. I have a playstation, which I much prefer over the N64, but I think the situation will be different with GC and PS2. My feeling is that the GC will be the better system.

#6 DarkAngel, Jul 23, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2001
  7. The Mad Hatter

Random observations:

Icecold: Batman Vengeance IS coming to the Gamecube. No worries there.

Yeah, the PS2 is a pain in the butt to program for, and the Gamecube is ludicrously easy. In fact, Sega's Sonic team managed to port over Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2, the ENTIRE game mind you, in less than a month. With this in mind, it would make it so easy for game companies to take the time to port over what they've already planned for the PS2.

And the developers were so excited with what they saw at E3 that Nintendo can't make enough development kits to fit demand. The GC will do a lot better than the N64, I'm sure.

8. icecold

icecold Guest

YES! YES!! YES!!! thats great! you know anything definite about MGS2??? because that would really make my day!!!

9. The Mad Hatter

No word on a GC Metal Gear. Konami has said that it's looking to take it to multiple platforms, but in the past they seem to have been leaning pretty heavily toward the Xbox and away from the GC. Then again, that was before E3, when Nintendo impressed the heck out of everybody and Microsoft looked pretty mediocre. No details have come in from Konami since then, so there's no way to tell if they've changed their minds as other game companies have. I'm hopeful, though, since porting's so easy on the GC.

10. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

What about wrestling games? Any headed to the GC? I'm expecting Smackdown 3 for the PS2 to be spectacular, and I'm hearing there'll be Raw is War for X-box. Any chance of either of those ending up on gamecube? Also, is Twisted Metal Black (and future releases of the series) only going to be for PS2?

11. icecold

icecold Guest

The Wrestlemania series is coming to GC and I can't wait because in my opinion, No Mercy beat the pants off of Smackdown! 2.

12. I.R Joey

Still Virtru Fighter 4 is a big priority for me. It looks like the PS2 is going to be the Fighting game system, and for me that's a big genre in determining system purchaces. The 64 wasn't so big on fighters.

As for Konami I don't know I heard somewhere that Hideo Kojima (the series director/ as well as the producer of Zone of the Enders I believe.) said that he doesn't think MGS2 would sell on
    the system, because of the preconcieved notion that Nintendo is kiddie co. Of coarse anyone with eyes to see understands that this isn't true, but oh well.

As for your Zone of the Enders opinion Hatter, I saw it being played and it looked right up my alley. I love my Mech games, heck I was just playing Virtual On yesterday trying to learn the finer points of Ajim's teleprtation techniques. I also desire Armored Core 2, and My brother and I practically cried because my computer isn't fast enough to run Mech Warrior 3. Oh well.

13. The Mad Hatter

That whole "Nintendo is kiddie" thing is ludicrous. I just realized that maybe part of that stigma comes from the fact that the N64 was still cartridge based... if only Nintendo never made that stupid decision. Ah well, the Gamecube should change a lot of minds.

And nope, no chance of Twisted Metal coming to the Gamecube... it's published by Sony. Great game, though...

14. DarkAngel

DarkAngel Lord Vader

I don't know if that's fair to say. I have Smackdown 2 and it rocks. Yeah, it's got problems, but in my opinion it's just because of the Playstation's age. Specifically, the loading time is incredibly, incredibly long. Take that away, and there's no obvious weakness. Great graphics, great control, great character selection, great number of match types, and a good CAW, and a season mode that's not bad (again, if you take away the loading time).

When talking about PS2 and GC wrestling games, I would expect them to be about equal. I just wasn't sure if GC was even going to get one. But now that you've confirmed that for me, I'm excited. A GC wrestling game actually would have an advantage in that it might be able to incorporate the WCW/ECW invasion into the game. That would be impressive and a heck of a lot of fun.

15. Vigo Sprax

Vigo Sprax Member

Why don't you get both? Buy the PS2 now with those games and then buy the GameCube. You most likely have money if you're getting a tax rebate and at $200 the GameCube is inexpensive. Since you didn't buy the PS2 at launch, getting things first probably doesn't matter to you, so buy it in January with some Christmas cash. This is exactly my plan (I already own the PS2 though). You probably won't reget it because up until Febuary I know every month is going to have at least 1 great game.

Anyone know how much GC games will sell for? $49.99 like PS2?

16. Mr. Obsession

Mr. Obsession Active Member

The people who are saying to get both are right. Do it if you can, if you can't just take a "I'll wait and see approach" and buy the system that has more of the type of games your prefer. I have a PS2 and love it but I'm also planing on getting a GC once I see some more of the games that will be coming out for it.

17. The Mad Hatter

Ya, with a PS2 and a Gamecube the only thing you'll miss is Microsoft's 1st party games, which are mostly uninnovative crap anyway.

And I remember reading that the Gamecube games will indeed be priced like PS2 games and cheaper than the N64 carts... it costs less than a buck to press each of those disks, compared to over $10 to make a cart.

18. I.R Joey

If I could I most certainly would, If I can get the cash for a GC it would be nice.

But there are other things I might want to do. Games I have to buy.

I mean Civ 3, Dreamcast games I need to get, and with a bunch of 20-30$ GC/PS2 Games a man could get broke really fast.

Always one to throw POT SHOTS at the X-Box eh Hatter LOL. :D

19. The Mad Hatter

Well, I'm honestly trying to give the machine a fair chance, and believe it or not, I was honestly surprised at how underwhelming most of its games were at E3. Maybe the big M will deliver a true A-list title... but the way things are going, that's not looking likely.

Besides, Microsoft is evil. (Grandpa Simpson voice) That company is evil, I tell you... EEEEEEEEEVILLLLLLLLLL!!

Lisa: Grandpa, you say that about all companies.

Grandpa: I just want attention. (sulks in the corner)

20. Frozen

Frozen When Hell freezes over.

I HAVE to get a PS2 'cos the game I'm working on is coming out on it... It's the only way I'll be able to show the folks at home the finished result..!