1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could create your own ABC Saturday morning block...

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by NavyThunder, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

For a Disney owned network block to work, they'd need shows that are exclusive to the block and not airing anywhere else amongst their other channels currently:

7:00 The Wuzzles
    7:30 The Gummi Bears/Winnie the Pooh Hour
    8:30 Darkwing Duck
    9:00 One Saturday Morning (Doug, Recess and Pepper Ann), with new skits and shorts that are exclusive to this block, including new Schoolhouse Rock.
    11:00 The Weekenders
    11:30 The Weekend Special (who remembers that show?)

2. NavyThunder

NavyThunder New Member

OK, I get it.

That's So Raven did tape its final episode in 2007 but That's So Raven had been airing on ABC Kids way beyond that up until the block's cancellation in mid 2011. The same applies with the other shows up there.

What killed ABC Kids, I think, was airing the same old reruns of old shows without bringing in new shows as you guys put it. Bringing in some new shows and ABC Kids might still be on.

Me, personally? I'd take a 3-4-hour block of new or old Disney shows on ABC rather than this Litton's crap any day or night of the week.

3. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

That, and the death of SatAM blocks on broadcast television in general. As previously stated most of the broadcast networks don't do their own Saturday morning blocks anymore because they can't compete with cable and the internet.

Disney would first have to be convinced that resurrecting ABC Kids would be financially worth their while. Currently they don't need to run cartoons and kids shows on ABC on Saturday morning since they have Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior which they can air their animated and live-action kids' shows all day. A once-a-week 3 to 4 hour block on broadcast TV can't compete with that. In fact, many of the broadcast networks were losing money on these blocks, which is why they're few and far between nowadays. The number of households without cable or satellite are a dwindling market which gets smaller every year, and for the few homes that don't have cable, satellite or fiber optics, the internet now exists to fill that void.

You're not beholden to TV in this age of Netflix and DVD, you know. If you don't have cable, you can always buy the DVDs of your favorite shows or stream them legally online. A weak program schedule or block means nothing when you can pick and play whatever shows you want at any time. That's another reason why most kids are abandoning the broadcast networks for SatAM entertainment, and why many people are looking past the broadcast networks for entertainment in general.

4. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

What NavyThunder is forgetting is that ABC's SatAM schedule starts with Good Morning America, then Litton's block of programming kicks in. The networks believe that news programming will generate more revenue. Disney pretty much gave up when they decided not to reprogram the block with newer programming before turning things over to Litton. As of tomorrow, CBS will be the same, a morning news show, followed by a block packaged by Litton. Meh.

5. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

Why should it matter what the broadcast networks are doing now that we're living in the era of Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime and iTunes? Now that people can subscribe to these sites and watch whatever they want, whenever they want, the broadcast networks' programming schedules are becoming less and less relevant. And the execs in charge of them know this.

6. jfoley85

jfoley85 Member

Honestly, if I could create a Saturday Morning block I'd call it ABC Saturday Sparkle, this of course after the CDN version of ABC Family called ABC Spark. I'd be filled with Disney shows.

#26 jfoley85, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
  7. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

The name looks very 80s.

8. Goldstar Neo

The name sounds like the name for a block of girl-centric programming, which is something that CBS tried a few years ago with KOL Secret Slumber Party (the name was changed to KEWLopolis the following season after CBS dissolved it's partnership with AOL).

9. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

What about...
    ABC 4U?
    ABC Starfire? (oops)
    ABC Grrl?
    ABC For Her?
    ABC Kids 2013?
    ABC Kids, part 2: THE REVENGE?

10. NavyThunder

NavyThunder New Member

I fail to agree.

When ABC Kids was on, it began with The Emperor's New School, not Good Morning America. GMA was never part of the block. Besides, I remember at the end of my local news, the achor at the time would announce that The Emperor's New School is coming up next. So I think the local news came before ABC Kids... in my region anyway.

And to everyone else, I get that the existance of Netflix, Hulu, internet, cable TV, etc. has pretty much killed the need for SatAM children's telelvision blocks in general. However, I'd still like to argue that as if that were the case, it'd kill the need for TV in general! And moreover, in that case, why is Saban Brands running Vortexx?

I fully agree with whoever said in order for a new ABC SatAM block to work, they'd have to do a show that exists solely for that block. This way, more TVs would be tuned into ABC at that time as that show is airing nowhere else.

As I am pursuing a career in acting, film production, TV production, etc. I'd like to start my own ABC SatAM block, just like Saban Brands did Vortexx. I would take a hour to devote to any Disney Channel or Disney XD show the viewers pick to air on the block during the 10 am timeslot, by voting for it on the block's website... like Vortexx has its own website. See, I don't just wanna bring back ABC Kids, I want it to be better than what it was so it prevents a second cancellation.

I forgot to say this in my last post but I wanted to have my hourly dose of That's So Raven on the ABC Kids new lineup, not just because it's my personal favorite but also because a lot of Disney Channel viewers favor That's So Raven as well. That series garnered higher rating than any other Disney Channel series, hence why it busted Disney's standard limit of 65 episodes per show, going to 100 episodes instead. I'd like to believe THAT is why That's So Raven aired for a full hour on ABC Kids... AND that it aired from 2004-2005 all the way until the block's cancellation in the fall of 2011. So with all that said, if enough viewers like it enough to want to keep watching it, I'd have it air on my block.

9:00 am - Phineas and Ferb
    9:30 am - (ABC Kids Exclusive series)
    10:00 am - U Pick The Show!
    10:30 am - U Pick The Show!
    11:00 am - That's So Raven
    11:30 am - That's So Raven
    12:00 pm - Power Rangers: RPM
    12:30 pm - Power Rangers: RPM

But then a new ABC Kids would mean of course new bumpers, have some Disney Channel stars to be announcers and performers in those bumpers, etc. Also, then of course I'd have to buy the rights to air Power Rangers: RPM on ABC again.

11. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

The thing is that Saban is paying the CW to run their shows, so even with the minuscule viewership Vortexx receives, The CW is still getting money for it because of Saban. Now, due to the rise of cable and the internet, and seeing as how most companies aren't interested in cartoons on broadcast anymore, as shown with Fox Kids, Kids WB!, One Saturday Morning, etc. ending their runs, Disney's profit would be minimal, and done in-house would mean even less money would be earned.

Another thing, why only one ABC Kids exclusive series? Having one show surrounded by an island of repeats is not a smart idea, especially shows that are several years old, and since Disney owns ABC, they can easily put said series on Disney Channel, XD, or Junior and it would probably do better than if it was on ABC Kids.

And three more things: 1. While That's So Raven was on the lineup for a long time, the current target audience most likely doesn't watch or even remember That's So Raven, so the people that watched the show back in the day have grown up and not a part of the demos this block was intended for. 2. What incentive would Disney have to place Power Rangers on the lineup? RPM ended years ago, and kids are currently watching Megaforce on Nickelodeon, and since Saban is placing their programs on Viacom channels and WB channels, why would Saban want to add a season that was years ago back in 2013, especially since Power Rangers wasn't treated all that well on ABC Kids to begin with.

And lastly, if you really want to see a Saturday morning lineup, then go change the channel to Nickelodeon, Disney XD, Cartoon Network, and Hub Network which all have a Saturday morning cartoon block that air first-run and new episodes of cartoons, and you're bound to find one gem. And nowadays cartoons are treated even better with some airing on primetime such as Legend of Korra, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, etc. So having one obsolete block that was only there to repeat Hannah Montana and Emperor's New School disappear isn't that big of a deal. It's like complaining about a Burger King that closed down in your area, even though McDonald's, Wendy's, and Arby's are nearby. True, you'll have to travel farther, and some food might taste different, but you'll still get a delicious burger.

12. Silverstar

No, not in general. Just on the broadcast networks. Kids' cable channels like Cartoon Network, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and The Hub all air SatAM blocks, and there are also digital sub-channels such as Qubo and PBJ whose blocks air 3rd party on various broadcast channels and affiliates.

Anyways, this whole plan breaks down in the exact same place: confusing one's wants for a network's needs. You may want Disney to revive ABC Kids, but they don't need to by a long shot. The broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX) aren't interested in launching their own SatAM blocks anymore because they're no longer a profitable venture in today's entertainment market, and Disney has no need or desire to relaunch ABC Kids when they have their own cable channels to run their shows on, all of which put more butts into seats than a tiny programming block on ABC would. Relaunching ABC Kids wouldn't make the Mouse House nearly enough money for them to consider such a venture worth their while.

And even if Disney decided to relaunch ABC Kids, the block couldn't consist of just 1 original show surrounded by ancient (by TV standards) repeats. Power Rangers fans have long since moved on from RPM and the current generation of tykes whom SatAM blocks are typically aimed at didn't grow up watching That's So Raven, so they wouldn't exactly be clamoring to see some old Disney kidcom that aired before their time, it certainly wouldn't be enough to steer them away from their favorite Nick, CN, Disney Channel and Hub shows. So this new ABC Kids would be better suited for nostalgic adults, and Disney would be even less inclined to pour money into that.

#32 Silverstar, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2013
  13. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It seems to me that a whole lot of TV executives are living in fear that your last sentence is exactly what's happening right now. To pick one thing, it seems like most anime companies aren't working overtime to get their shows on TV, broadcast or cable, in favor of pushing new stuff on their official YouTube or Hulu or whatever channels. I think there's been pressure on both sides to change the situation on the ground, but that's the first case I can come up with where media companies have found a workable alternative to broadcast.

People are always going to want their entertainment. How they get it is increasingly not going to be controlled by TV as we knew it.

That said, I don't have an issue with blue sky games, or with serious efforts to figure out how to make something like a SatAM block workable. Nobody has all the answers yet, and I don't think it's because there aren't any.

14. NavyThunder

NavyThunder New Member

I completely agree and understand by every extent, especially the stuff I boldfaced. The same applies with what everyone else is trying to get through to me.

Though I'm not and can't reply to everyone, I am listening to what everyone is saying. I'm no longer bent on trying to get ABC/Disney to bring back ABC Kids like I was before. It's just that to see the ABC Kids block leave the syndication is depressing, to say the least. Even more so, I wasn't there on August 27, 2011 to watch the last ABC Kids, so bringing it back would've meant a whole lot to me and I did vow that if that were to ever happen, I'd be there. Besides, on CN, Toonami was a cartoon block that was shut down only to be revived a couple of years later so I couldn't see how or why ABC Kids woouldn't be able to live the same destiny, but I can now.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that ABC Kids didn't go off syndication sooner, as it's been showing those reruns repeatedly with no new episodes in sight, and I understand viewers not wanting to watch the same old episodes of Hannah Montana, The Suite Life of Zach and Cody, That's So Raven, Power Rangers, etc. again and again and again with no new episodes or new shows in sight.

I'm really making no effort to spark up an argument with you, Silverstar, as what you're trying to tell me does make sense, just that some of the points you're making are disputable and I'm sure mine are as well.

Unfortunately, I wasn't there to watch Lost Galaxy as I had no idea it was on at the time but taking into consideration that Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy and Power Rangers: RPM aired their runs in 1999 and 2009 respectively, Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy aired on the Vortexx block through the summer and fall of 2012.

Power Rangers: RPM is a newer series than Power Rangers: Lost Galaxy the only other difference being that RPM was a Disney-produced series whereas Lost Galaxy was a Saban-produced series.

Power Rangers: RPM was a season that was well-liked among the Ranger fandom so even if this new and revived ABC Kids were to happen, I'd doubt it'd hurt to show Power Rangers: RPM for yet another year.

This had nothing to do with trying to put more butts in the seats to increase viewership for ABC Kids but Power Rangers: RPM was an ABC Kids exclusive. We have Disney's ignorance to thank/blame for that as Disney had originally intended against producing another season after Jungle Fury but Bandai and Jetix UK had to finance RPM with their own money or the season would've never existed. What does this have to do with ABC Kids? Again, as Disney had no intention of producing RPM, Disney, out of spite, ordered RPM to air only on ABC Kids.

In any case, this was good for ABC Kids for the mere and solid fact that RPM was airing on no other channel and Power Rangers fans had to tune in at 12-12:30 pm (or 5-5:30 am depending on their region) to the ABC Kids block to watch the season, whereas if Disney had let RPM air on other channels viewership on ABC Kids probably would not have been as high. Granted, the 2010 revision of the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was also an ABC Kids exclusive (was it?) but that was nowhere as successful as RPM.

Does this make sense?

I don't know about only ONE ABC Kids exlusive series. Like I said to Silverstar, Power Rangers: RPM was an ABC Kids exclusive, so... in a more nutshell version of what I was explaining to her/him, BECAUSE RPM was airing on no other channel, ABC Kids' viewership should've increased and brought Power Rangers fans into watching the block, even if only to watch RPM.

That does make sense and again, as I previously stated, That's So Raven was on ABC Kids from 2004 up to the block's cancellation in 2011 because it was Disney Channel's most watched show with the highest ratings! But you are right that kids nowadays aren't expected to even know or remember a show that aired years ago, a show that taped/premiered its last episode in 2008 at that... and most people that are still watching that show are most likely nostaligic adults (such as myself) and as Silverstar stated, Disney really isn't going to put money into funding a SatAM block consisting of ancient shows for nostaligic adults to watch when the money can be better spent on newer shows and programs that can actually earn them a profit.

You might possibly be right, but I'm not so sure I agree with that last sentence, that Power Rangers wasn't treated right on ABC Kids. How not? Power Rangers was a good (if not excellent or sure-fire) way to bring even more people into watching the block, but then again, for some reason as Disney didn't give Power Rangers the love and care it deserved, I don't find it much of a coincidence that ABC Kids' last timeslot (12pm - 1pm) was devoted to Power Rangers.

And as I previously said, Lost Galaxy had been airing on the Vortexx block last summer and that's a much older season than RPM so I don't think showing RPM on ABC again wouldn't do much harm. In fact, I and a few other Ranger fans had the idea that Saban/CW should air another Ranger season on Vortexx to prevent cancellation.

I actually laughed at that. But look at it this way: I'm complaining about a Burger King that closed down in my area, it's been replaced by a fast food joint that's nowhere as good as Burger King, worse yet people are complaining that rats and roaches are running around in there. You're right that I'd have to travel a bit farther but I can still get a delicious drink or a burger at another Burger King or another burger joint.

But back to the topic at hand -- when I can afford it, I will get cable so I can watch my Disney shows, I miss being able to watch Disney Channel as I was years ago anyway. But when I last checked That's So Raven isn't even airing on Disney Channel anymore (Disney XD) but luckily there's Netflix or YouTube for that. Again, That's So Raven is an older show, so I can understand why.

They shouldn't have to. Not everything on TV is available online. Please do keep in mind that the creators who are producing and actually OWN THE COPYRIGHT to the material have control over whether or not their stuff goes online, simply by not publishing it or not letting it be published on the internet so people would have to watch it on TV where it's only available. Well, there are crooks who commit piracy and copy their stuff and post it only anyway but that's a whole 'nother story.

EDIT: And Mr. Pine, someone previously suggested that in order for a new SatAM block on ABC to work, there should be a Disney show that's not airing on any other channel in order to keep viewers watching the new block, but you're right that having only ONE show surrounded by an island of repeats would probably be unwise. What I was thinking was, Season 1 of the show would preimere on ABC Kids and then afterwards the show can go on Disney Channel or Disney XD or whathaveyou and then Season 2 would be an ABC Kids exclusive and then move to Disney Channel when Season 3 premiers and so forth.

Thanks for all your insightful replies guys. I really did learn a few things.

15. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

While NavyThunder is technically right, GMA did air in front of the ABC Kids block. What I meant to say is that GMA airing on Saturdays prevented ABC Kids from being a full 5 hour block.

Back to point. as I noted earlier in the thread, ABC/Disney shot themselves in the corporate foot by not updating the ABC Kids block and let it stagnate the last few years.

Example: When That's So Raven ceased, the spin-off, Cory in the House, could've been plugged in, but because it bombed on Disney Channel, Disney decided to cut the losses and opted not to run it on ABC.

A fair number of Disney shows, such as Dave the Barbarian, could've stood to have the extra exposure on ABC to save them from cancellation.

As far as the cablers go, Nick's notorious for playing their shows into the ground, and they don't do premieres on Saturdays unless it's something intended specifically for that daypart (i.e. Ninja Turtles, Planet Sheen, TUFF Puppy). We've been over Cartoon Network's mishandling of DC Nation at this time last year a zillion times. The programmers for these channels have a narrow mentality in programming, and it will hurt them long-term.

Let's just accept the fact that there's only CW and maybe NBC for your SatAM toon fix on broadcast channels now. In that regard, television has come full circle, since cartoons weren't added on Saturday mornings 'til the early 60's, I believe.

16. Goldstar Neo

@NavyThunder: You seem to be implying that the SatAM shows that are presently airing aren't as good as the shows that have aired on ABC Kids during it's heyday, and while I respect your opinion (if that is indeed the opinion that you have), I must ask: how many of the current SatAM shows on cable/satellite have you actually seen? I would say that shows such Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder (Disney Channel), Regular Show, The Amazing Wold of Gumball (Cartoon Network), The Aquabats Super Show!, Littlest Pet Shop (The Hub) and Monsters VS Aliens: The Series (Nickelodeon) are just as good as the ABC Kids' programming, if not better, but that's just my opinion, which doesn't carry the weight of oxygen.

The reason why I bring up this point is because you appear to putting together a block that's made up mostly of the shows that you personally want to see, which is fine, except that if said block is intended to be viewed by children (and by 'children', I mean people who are kids now, not people were kids 10-15 years ago), then it has to be made of shows that they like. Kids aren't old enough to appreciate nostalgia. They don't want to watch a bunch of shows that aired before they were born. Some would be willing to, but not enough to sustain a block that's made up mostly of old-school programming. Said program block would need to consist mostly of shows that today's kids want to see.

And hobbyfan is correct; One reason why ABC Kids failed is because ABC and Disney allowed the block to go to pot by not updating it after a couple of season. The newer shows such as Phineas & Ferb, Fish Hooks and wizards of Waverly Place were never added to the lineup, instead, the lineup remained the same for 3-4 years, becoming stale and tired. There's no reason to resurrect the block now.

#36 Goldstar Neo, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  17. NavyThunder

NavyThunder New Member

Oh, no-no-no-no-no... I'm not saying that at all. What I was trying to say was that I favor ABC Kids as a block. Moreover (and I didn't say this before), the 2002-2006 era ABC Kids wasn't as good as 2006-2009 era ABC Kids. 2006 was really when ABC Kids started getting good.

A portion of this thread was dedicated to establishing that had ABC canned a couple of old shows and plugged new ones in as hobbyfan was implying, ABC Kids would've lasted longer, and still would be in syndication now.

I haven't seen Disney Channel since 2004, and have recently learned that Disney XD used to be TOON Disney, so even though I've been hearing that Disney Channel isn't as good as it used to be, I still am going to get cable so I can watch Disney again but in the meantime ABC Kids will still be sorely missed but I understand why it had to go... for the good of ABC and Disney as a co-company as it seems the feel they are better off without it.

There was even the time a couple or a few years ago, one Saturday night in like November or December... on ABC, I can't remember if it was because they were airing their boring football games but That's So Raven aired for a full hour at 5:00 pm! My local ABC affiliate did anyway. And that was my favorite show too! I mean, they could've aired The Suite Life of Zach and Cody or even Hannah Montana, but That's So Raven? WOW! That whole hour meant a lot to me because they aired That's So Raven when they didn't have to... when they weren't supposed to, actually, as it would normally air at 10:00 am here in the east coast. Oh, and the ABC Kids bumpers were there as if it were 10:00 am. I even remember one of the episodes they aired (the one about the plants...)

I would've loved for them to do that again, if only for one more time but that seems to be a pipe dream now as ABC Kids is gone and is never coming back. I mean, not that I wanted ABC Kids back solely to see That's So Raven at 5 pm ('cause I mean, heck, if they did that EVERY Saturday it wouldn't mean so much) just that, in that special occassion I like that they did that.

Ah, memories...

R.I.P ABC Kids

18. Silverstar

Hmmm, I don't know about that. For one thing, ABC Kids was never syndicated; you may be thinking of 1 Too, which was a weekday syndicated knockoff of ABC's 1 Saturday Morning, which later became ABC Kids, but ABC Kids was always exclusive to ABC. When or if one's local ABC affiliates chose to air the block will vary depending on where you lived. For another, sure if Disney had rotated ABC Kids' shows, the block may have lasted for another season or 2, maybe, but I highly doubt that it would still be on now. As others have mentioned before, the bottom fell out of the broadcast network Saturday morning industry around the mid to late 00's, so there wasn't much need or incentive on Disney's part to let ABC Kids continue. One reason they stopped rotating the shows was because they just didn't need ABC Kids anymore. Toon Disney became Disney XD and a few years later Disney Junior was launched, and subsequently ABC became an unnecessary appendix for running their kids' shows on.

Most of the people saying that are older teenagers and adults who now no longer belong to age bracket that Disney Channel and its' sister networks caters its' programming towards. These same people tend to make the same claim about today's Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, but that's largely peoples' nostalgia talking. it's natural for some people to turn their collective noses up at a channel's newer programming simply because it's not what they grew up with, or to put it simply, haters gonna hate. The fact of the matter is that TDC is quite popular with it's target audience:children and younger teenagers. My advice is when you get cable again, give some of their shows a look and judge for yourself. Like Goldstar Neo said above, some of them are really quite good.

TBH, something like that would've been a more feasible thing to do during the 1990's, when TDC was just a single Pay-TV channel which a lot of households didn't receive, the weekday syndicated Disney Afternoon block was still around and broadcast network SatAM programming was still going strong. Such things were typical practices then: new episodes of shows like Chip 'n' Dale's Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, Bonkers et al would premiere their new episodes on TDC, then they would be seen on the Disney Afternoon, and in the case of some shows like Darkwing Duck and Goof Troop, there would also be exclusive-to-ABC seasons of episodes airing there on Saturday morning, which would eventually find their way to TDA. But the industry has changed a lot since then, and today Disney Channel has since not only moved to many cable and satellite systems' basic cable packages, thereby exposing the channel to hundreds more viewers than it had as a pay channel, but it has also expanded to include 2 additional cable channels to toggle their shows between, so nowadays they just don't need ABC to run their animated fare on.

#38 Silverstar, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  19. Nicolas Gonzalez

Nicolas Gonzalez New Member

I've come up with a plan for the new ABC Saturday Morning Schedule. It is called: ABC Kids XD, and it will air in Fall 2017
    Here's the following schedule
    9:00am Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil
    9:30am Star vs. the Forces of Evil
    10:00am Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja
    10:30am Accidentally Adventures
    11:00am Pinewood Middle School
    11:30am The Adventures of Lola Kane
    12:00pm Kickin' It
    12:30pm Lab Rats