1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

If you could create your own ABC Saturday morning block...

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by NavyThunder, Aug 10, 2013.

1. NavyThunder

NavyThunder New Member

Hey guys! New to the boards.

So anyway, this was something i've been thinking about for a while now. I know it probably doesn't seem to be happening in the near future if ever again but what if Disney came back to ABC with a new Saturday Disney show lineup? Like ABC Kids but with a new name? And longer lasting block?

Remember how One Saturday Morning became ABC Kids in 2002? The comeback could/should be even better than ABC Kids... with different shows too! First what would your new Saturday Morning block be called? What would your ideal lineup look like if you were hired by the Disney/ABC execs to create a lineup?

I don't know what MY block be called but here's my lineup i would like the new block to look like (ABC Disney Saturday Mornings, i guess):

8:00a - The Emperor's New School
    8:30a - Lilo & Stitch: The Series
    9:00a - The Replacements
    9:30a - Suite Life of Zach and Cody
    10:00a - Wizards of Waverly Places
    10:30a - Pheneas & Ferb
    11:00a - Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
    11:30a - The Proud Family
    12:00p - That's So Raven
    12:30p - That's So Raven
    1:00p - Power Rangers (Ninja Storm - RPM only!)
    1:30p - Power Rangers (Ninja Storm - RPM only!)
    Then Litton's Weekend Adventures from 2pm - 6pm.

I'm sorry but Hannah Montana can go.

And i know it probably looks strange because That's So Raven and Power Rangers are the only two full-hour shows up there and the last two shows on the block. But there's my lineup.

OH! If ABC airs a football game, then here are a few alternatives and what i would then do:

Firday Morning (before 6am Saturday):
    4:00a - Buzz Lightyear of Star Command
    4:30a - That's So Raven
    5:00a - Power Rangers (Ninja Storm - RPM only!)
    5:30a - Power Rangers (Ninja Storm - RPM only!)

The Following Saturday Evening:
    4:00p - That's So Raven
    4:30p - That's So Raven
    5:00p - Power Rangers (Ninja Storm - RPM only!)
    5:30p - Power Rangers (Ninja Storm - RPM only!)

I'm also just noticing i posted this on the near anniversary ABC aired its last ABC Kids...

2. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

Hi.

Just a friendly heads-up: fantasy schedule threads aren't allowed on this board.

That said, the shows on this block are all too old. Realistically, you can't make a SatAM block consisting of nothing but cancelled reruns. No kid is going to switch off a new episode of SpongeBob or Beware the Batman to watch a years old rerun of That's So Raven or Buzz Lightyear of Star Command. You'd need to toss in a few first-run shows to keep kids interested. Phineas & Ferb is the only show on this block still making new episodes. A programming block must contain something exclusive that kids can't see anywhere else or they're not going to tune in.

And NO broadcast network or network affiliate would ever run kids' programming for 4+ hours. They still have to air their news and sports programming, which are more profitable to networks and affiliates than kids' shows, and there'd be no point for them to since nowadays there are cable channels which air kids' programming 24/7. The Alphabet Networks lack both the ability and the desire to compete with cable, satellite, the internet, home video, online streaming services, video games, computers and all the other outlets available to kids these days, which is why the majority of them no longer try. The only reason most broadcast affiliates run any kids' programming at all is because of the E/I mandate.

#2 Silverstar, Aug 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2013
  3. NavyThunder

NavyThunder New Member

Oh, they're no longer allowed? Sorry. I've seen plenty of threads like this on these forums. I never had the chance to do one myself until now.

Is'nt Wizards of Waverly places doing new episodes? And does what you've explained above explain why/how ABC Kids got axed a couple of Augusts ago?

Not to mention, Power Rangers is also still going on.

Again. Sorry.

4. Silverstar

No, WoWP ended last year. There was a made-for TV movie since then, but the series proper is done.

Yes. The broadcast networks by and large have bowed out of the SatAM programming game. The few remaining blocks are largely handled by syndicates.

Nickelodeon has the rights to Power Rangers now, and Viacom doesn't do loan-outs.

5. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

Yeah, the CW is the only broadcast network that has children's programming on Saturday mornings from 7 to 12.

6. TheBombFunn

TheBombFunn Member

Like Silverstar said, fantasy schedules are prohibited from toonzone.

Anyways, I don't see a new ABC Saturday morning block coming anytime soon. I'm not really sure if ABC kids already ended, but, I don't see how Phineas and Ferb would air on there, isn't it still running? Or did Disney Channel finally end it, because I hear it ended but I'm not so sure.

7. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

I'm pretty sure ABC Kids aired still running DC shows.

8. NavyThunder

NavyThunder New Member

No rudeness intended, but I recently went back to review the rules of the site and this particular board, and I have failed to find anything regarding fantasy schedules being banned from the site.

The closest thing i did find that is close to that is no list threads, just explain your selection if that's what you guys meant.

9. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Fantasy schedules have been essentially list threads in the past. We've also had problems with members posting them without any context or leaving much room for discussion, which is really what we're about. This thread has enough worthwhile content that I've left it open -- I don't have a problem with fantasy schedules as such, as long as that's not ALL your doing.

10. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

It's really a shame Disney wrote off Saturday mornings on network television. They could be using that to showcase the kinds of shows they are reluctant to give more or any time slots on The Disney Channel.

It would be especially nice if the Marvel series could escape the DXD ghetto and air on the same network the SHIELD series will.

I suppose they'd have to fill the educational entertainment requirement but I wonder if Phineas and Ferb or some of their other series could do that. They used old Disney Channel shows to fill the requirement in years prior.

7:00 AM - Doc McStuffins
    7:30 AM - Sophia the First
    8:00 AM - Jake and the Neverland Pirates
    8:30 AM - Phineas and Ferb
    9:00 AM - Phineas and Ferb
    9:30 AM - Wonder Over Yonder
    10:00 AM - Gravity Falls
    10:30 AM - Ultimate Spider-Man
    11:00 AM - Avengers Assemble
    11:30 AM - Hulk and the Agents of Smash

The premieres would stay on Disney Channel and DXD of course.

Oh and Silverstar that's a bit misleading, Viacom doesn't control Power Rangers right now Saban does and Saban has only sold the cable broadcast rights to Viacom while they are free to air it on Vortexx if they so desire or even ABC if Saban were selling shows to them or running a block on ABC themselves. That said I don't think Power Rangers airing on ABC is all that likely unless Saban was programming the block like with Vortexx. I'm aware Vortexx is not currently airing Power Rangers but they have while Nick was airing Samurai and various other seasons and likely will again at some point while Nick and Nicktoons continue to air Power Rangers as well.

11. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

What really killed ABC Kids was Disney refusing to put shows like Phineas & Ferb, which does fit the E/I requirements, IMPO, on ABC to replace tired sitcoms like That's So Raven, which should've been repurp'd in primetime anyway.

Sad to say, but as Silverstar noted, SatAM as we knew it growing up is gone, save for CW's Vortexx block, which Saban is programming (shudder). Network executives are only interested in ad revenues, ratings, and money in general, and don't see the need for children's programming being there like it was 50 years ago.

12. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

As evidenced in this song from the episode where they make X-Ray glasses:
    "They say that beauty's just skin deep,
    But I've got a brand new perspective.
    Your skeleton is symmetrical,
    And your vascular system's effective.

You can't keep secrets from me,
    'Cause I can always see it
    With my X-ray eyes!
    I got a brand new way of looking at life,
    An altogether different visual spectrum.
    Sometimes photons behave like a wave,
    But they're particles when you reflect 'em.

But that don't bother me,
    'Cause either way I see it
    With my X-ray eyes!
    With my X-ray eyes!
    With my X-ray eyes!"

13. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

How about a weekend morning block called "Disney Junior on ABC"?

14. RandomMe

It may run for an hour or two, followed by Phineas and Ferb and then Fish Hooks and then two live-action series.
    2 hours of Disney Junior + 1 hour of Phineas and Ferb to meet E/I requirements, FH + Live-action series are non-E/I.
    They could bring back ABC Kids! With the schedule base that I just made.

15. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

With how much Disney Channel proper plays live-action, I'd rather a new ABC Kids block not have much if any.

If Phineas & Ferb works for E/I then that and a few Disney Junior shows would suffice for the E/I requirements allowing them to focus the rest of the line-up in some manner.

I think by mixing their animated comedies and animated action series they could make a pretty solid block.

I suppose the biggest issue is even if Disney did do this, where's the profit? Saban and 4Kids paid CW to run their blocks, Disney doing this in-house means they're not getting paid by anyone to do it and the ratings revenue for Saturday morning network television sure isn't what it used to be. Granted Disney doesn't need to make money on the block but there's not much in the way of incentive for them to do a block on ABC.

16. RandomMe

DISNEY JUNIOR ON ABC: Saturdays from 7 to 9, E/I
    ABC KIDS: Phineas and Ferb (E/I show) from 9 to 10, other shows (Fish Hooks, Sonny With a Chance, Shake it Up, etc...) from 10 to 12

17. NavyThunder

NavyThunder New Member

Hey there,

Sorry for reviving my old thread but I'm back here again because I'm serious about doing whatever necessary to revive ABC Kids if it's at all possible. I just wish I knew where to write the ABC/Disney execs and talk to them about the return of ABC Kids

The OLD ABC Kids (2009 schedule):
    9:00 am – The Emperor’s New School
    9:30 am – The Replacements
    10:00 am – That’s So Raven
    10:30 am – That’s So Raven
    11:00 am – Hannah Montana
    11:30 am – The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
    12:00 pm – Power Rangers: RPM
    12:30 pm – Power Rangers: RPM

And here's what I'd like to see happen with the NEW ABC Kids:
    9:00 am – The Emperor’s New School
    9:30 am – Phineas and Ferb
    10:00 am – The Replacements
    10:30 am – The Suite Life of Zack & Cody
    11:00 am – That’s So Raven
    11:30 am – That’s So Raven
    12:00 pm – Power Rangers: RPM
    12:30 pm – Power Rangers: RPM

So it would be the same 9am - 1pm, four-hour block of Disney Channel, TOON Disney, and Jetix shows... just different in whatever way to keep the viewers watching, the ratings up and whatever Disney shows favored by the audience to keep the block up and running to prevent yet a second cancellation.

What did you mean by "in-house"? I can see Disney really not wanting to run a SatAM block on ABC if there is no profit in it for them. I just wish I knew what you meant by the stuff I boldfaced. But I do agree with profit as if this happens, it would have to be in a way that keeps Disney happy as well as the viewers AND heed to the E/I regulations. Also, what did you mean when you said Disney doesn't need to make money on the block.

What I'm still trying to figure out is if or not Disney or ABC had plans to can ABC Kids before Litton took over with Litton's Weekend Adventures or if ABC Kids was canned for Litton's Weekend Adventures. Aside from money, I'm guessing what this all comes down to is E/I and keeping the shows that at least provide some educational value for the children the block in aimed toward anyway.

Do not get me wrong, I'm all for E/I programming and the concept that just because it's Saturday and kids are not in school doesn't mean kids should stop being taught. HOWEVER, with that being addressed, I think it would be a good idea if ABC Kids aired FIRST and then show Litton's Weekend Advenutres. Think about it. ABC Kids is a four-hour block. Litton's Weekend Adventures is a three. So ABC Kids can go from 9am until 1pm and then LWA from 1pm until 4pm. Or LWA can air on the Live Well Network (ABC sub-channel). Do you guys agree with this idea?

One more thing, I know Saban and Nickelodeon owns the rights to the Power Rangers franchise but it'd be a really cool way for the resurrection and to boost ratings and views. It would really be worth it in the long run. Maybe they can pay Nickelodeon somehow for the rights to air Power Rangers: Mystic Force - RPM on the new ABC Kids, only if for a certain period of time... still on the same 12:00-:30 timeslot and whenever ABC Kids is NOT showing Power Rangers then they can air football or LWA afterwards, starting at 12pm.

18. Silverstar

No network is going to try and launch a Saturday morning block in today's current market. The only network which still has their own SatAM block is the CW who has Vortexx.

The reason the broadcast networks have bowed out of the SatAM game is because cable and the internet have pretty much killed the need (and more importantly to them, the profitability) for broadcast networks to run their own Saturday morning fare. 3 to 4-hour network blocks can't compete with 24/7 kids cable/satellite channels and online services such as Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. The broadcast network affiliates actually make more money running independent programming such as news, sports and infomercials than they would running cartoons and kids' shows, so they run local and syndicated programming during that time and let 3rd parties handle the kid-friendly fare to meet broadcast TV's E/I requirements.

Disney terminated ABC Kids because it was starting to lose money and they really don't need it. Disney doesn't need to run their kids' shows on ABC on Saturday mornings when they have 4 all-day cable channels (Disney Channel, Disney XD, Disney Junior, ABC Family) to run their stuff on.

#18 Silverstar, Sep 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2013
  19. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

One problem that I see here is that this "new" ABC Kids lineup isn't new enough. These shows are all much too old. The only 1 of those shows that's still in production now is Phineas & Ferb. That's So Raven ceased production in 2007. The Suite Life of Zack & Cody ended in 2008. Same deal with The Emperor's New School. The Replacements ended in 2009. The kid actors on those shows are all adults now. You would need to add some current Disney shows which are making first run episodes such as Gravity Falls, Fish Hooks, Shake It Up!, Lab Rats, Jessie, Sofia the First, Jake and Neverland Pirates, Pac Man and the Ghostly Adventures, Wander Over Yonder and the like in order to attract kids to the block. A new episode of Jessie is going to put more butts into seats than a 6-year-old rerun of That's So Raven. Sorry, but an all reruns block just isn't going to fly.

Anyway, it's a moot point, since Disney now has The Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior to run their premieres on. They don't need to have a Saturday morning block on a broadcast network anymore.

20. RandomMe

Go up and see my suggestion! Even though they are about to make the network TV premieres of hundreds of episodes of Phineas and Ferb.