1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

If they can't kill Brian Griffin, why not kill off Lois?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by DBZAOTA482, Sep 9, 2017.

1. DBZAOTA482

DBZAOTA482 New Member

I know Brian is the most hated character in Family Guy but I don't think Lois is much better than him. In fact, I don't think many people even like her at all. When the show started she was the voice-of-reason alongside Brian and was very doting to the family even to Meg (didn't stand out too much but wasn't a bad character either) but as the show was revived, her character quickly deteriorated. Now on her best day she's the standard nagging housewife but at her worst, she's a spiteful jerk and hypocritical slut.

I wouldn't even mind this so much if the show didn't always try to paint her in the right no matter what but it does. For example, she's cheated on Peter multiple times and the show always justified even when she almost had sex with Meg's boyfriend. She even "killed" Chris' girlfriend just because they have a better relationship than she and Peter yet the show somehow wanted to believe she was "right" to do that.

Worst of all she's rarely ever funny. Terrible people being terrible people is cheap, lazy comedy.

#1 DBZAOTA482, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2017
  2. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Well-Known Member

Considering that Stewie hates his mother so badly, don't give McFarlane and his staff of lunatics any ideas.

3. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Hate is an old term for Modern Stewie, there really hasn't been much of that in the modern seasons.

4. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Aside from the fact that Lois is on the merchandise (which is also why they couldn't kill off Brian for real) it bothers me that the first place a fan goes when they don't like the character is to suggest killing them off. There is another solution. Demand the writers stop writing Lois, Brian, and Peter so badly and improve their characters. It's less dramatic than killing the character off, and I imagine much easier to do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. copper20

copper20 Member

I'm sorry but Brian and Stewie are unsalvageable by this point. Brian should've stayed DEAD. We were lucky with SpongeBob and the gang but not this time.

These two characters exist only because these "writers" have some insane obsession with these two stage hogs. I've had enough of their spotlight stealing since Season 5 and it's gotten worse. Peter and Carter are right up there. If they just kill off Brian for good this time, turned Stewie back into being a fiendish infant with a obsession for world domination and destruction, and put Lois back in piano work, then there would be some light back in this show. Second, stop giving Seth MacFarlane voiced characters the most in spotlight, it's getting old. Meg has some potential, and the writers don't bother with her because... well, I don't know. They just don't bother, likely because they convinced me that they write as good as a kindergartner - seriously, I could and DID write stories better 20 years ago, and I was only 5! If child labor wasn't illegal and time machines were here, I'd go back in time and have my 5 year old self take a job as a writer for Family Guy and force the others fired. No college degree needed!

#5 copper20, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  6. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I mean Family Guy is Family Guy. Seth McFarlane creatively checked out of the show like six years ago. So technically, the show show has been dead creatively for six years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. copper20

copper20 Member

Oh REALLY... would you believe me if Seth was behind the Life of Brian fiasco?

And don't forget they mentioned Stewie is Enciente in the commentary of Christmas Guy. I don't own season 12 on DVD but I bet Seth MacFarlane was in that too.

8. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Guys, keep it cool. You can criticize all you want on what you dislike about the show and how it's being written, but simmer down with the needless insults. Keep it within reason. Calling people "lunatics" or claiming they have "fetishes" - whether you're being facetious or not - is not conductive to a good, mature discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. copper20

copper20 Member

Okay well then obsession, is that okay to say that? Nevertheless I've been appalled by how the direction of the show's been going for 10 years.

10. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

The direction of the show has nothing to do with the members on Toon Zone. It's perfectly all right to keep things civil here.

11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

"If they can't kill Brian Griffin why not kill off Lois?"

Ah, the original Riddle of the Sphinx...

12. Daffyfan2002

Daffyfan2002 $enior member

I agree. I didn't like Herbert too well when they put him in every episode just to make a lame joke or something, but now that he's only around when the episode calls for him for something relevant to the plot, the character has sort of started to grow on me. It could be the same case with other characters. Plus if Lois were killed off, who would sing the first line of the theme song? :wakko:

• Like Like x 1
  13. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

I posted this last Tuesday, but there hasn't been a reply since. So, I'm going to repost this for attention.

The commentary for "Christmas Guy" also mentioned how Stewie and Vinny would properly befriend in an "all-musical new episode", but so far, we haven't even seen it happen.

Plus, Lois and Donna have been total idiots because of their feud in "He's Bla-ack!". It should have went like Peter and Ernie's chicken fights, and it should have ended like, and forgive me for going off-topic show- and network-wise, "Family Feud" in Rugrats.

14. copper20

copper20 Member

Stewie needs to stop with this befriending stuff and go back to being vicious without any of the excessive violence we've seen in the recent seasons (that whale scene in particular)

15. LDEJRuff

Less talk about Stewie right now, more talk about Lois.

And by "whale scene", do you mean the one from "Peter Problems"?

16. copper20

copper20 Member

1. That should be the case for the entire show if they're not going to un-flanderize him. Pull him, Brian, Carter, Quagmire, and Peter to the side for a few seasons.
    2. Absolutely. The very same scene. Anyone who didn't see it the attachment is the scene I'm mentioning. I picked an image where it didn't show the disemboweling part.

maxresdefault.jpg

17. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Look whether or not you still enjoy Family Guy or not, you have to recognize what kind of show it is. Like the Simpsons it's an animated sitcom that really only setps up plots and scenarios to tell jokes for about 20 minutes and doesn't ever really follow up on any long running stories or plot lines. It's meant to be non continuity driven and pretty much always go back to status quo in the end. Thus why you don't really see major characters die and stay dead. Meg and Peter for instant have died at the end of episodes or in cutaways or gags but are always back by the next episode or even the next scene perfectly fine as things don't really carry over for the most part. "Life Of Brian" was pretty much a ratings trap meant to try and trick the viewer into thinking they would kill off Brian for good but yeah only did so for about three episodes and then moved back to status quo. So I don't see why anyone would think they'd kill off another one of the main family members. Seriously they aren't going to off Lois because there have to be at least 3 episodes a season about the Griffin's martial issues in some form or about Lois making really deplorable bitter responses to something or trying to be a voie of reason in the rest of the insanity of Griffin household but still doing twisted things from time to time. That's the formula the show has and obviously likes. I mean didn't they say in the episode with Brian's son "if you don't like it, go complain on the internet?" indiciating they don't care what some online fans say so long as they are still going and have a decent size fanbase that allows them to continue being in production. Really Family Guy isn't a Venture Brothers/Rick And Morty/Bojack Horsemen where you need to pay attention to what happened in previous episodes as they impact some sort of overall story or have elements that will really matter as they have some sort of overall plan. It's just a series that loosely ties plot together as an excuse for jokes especially cutaway jokes and has found a status quo and characterization they like and want to keep plugging away. Hell if there are any changes to the cast it's only because they'll have to be forced to change things with Adam West and Carrie Fisher's tragic passings so Mayor West and Angela can no longer be characters in the show (the later's case was likely the ONLY reason Peter still has a brewery job so that should at least change in the next season).

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

I won't mind both tbh. They're both the most unlikable characters in the show right now (at least since season 14 started).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. LDEJRuff

Weren’t “Stewie Kills Lois” and “Lois Kills Stewie” a ratings trap, too?

20. copper20

copper20 Member

Plot recycling is one of the most serious offenses with this show, that and filler. Seriously why do they need so many episodes about Brian dating or any character in general? Or episodes about Brian and Stewie solely which don't improve? They get really boring fast.

• Agree Agree x 1