If the voice is familiar.....

Discussion in 'Saturday Morning Forever!' started by hobbyfan, Aug 19, 2009.

1. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Many voice actors past & present have also either done some "face acting" (live-action) or did voice-overs for live-action shows. You wouldn't have known back in the day, but here's a quick list.

Bill Woodson: The long-time Super Friends announcer/narrator (1977-85) previously was the announcer for "The Odd Couple", particularly during the early years when he narrated the opening that explained just why Felix & Oscar shared an apartment.

Jerry Dexter: Better known as the voice of Aqualad (1967) and Alan (Josie & The Pussycats, both series, 1970-73), Jerry was also a part-time member of Jack Webb's repertory company, having appeared a number of times on "Dragnet" during its' 2nd run (1967-70), owing more to his also being a LA radio personality.

Shannon Farnon: As I noted in the talkback thread to her recent interview, Shannon was also a member of the Webb repertory company before being cast as Wonder Woman (Super Friends, 1973-84). Appeared on Dragnet and I believe either Adam-12 or Emergency! Didn't realize this until many years later when I caught a Dragnet repeat on cable.

Louise "Liberty" Williams: The original voice of Wonder Twin Jayna (1977-85) has a small handful of face acting gigs on her resume, including a few guest shots on "Three's Company", and co-starring with Peter Scolari (in between Bosom Buddies & Newhart) in 1983's "Baby Makes Five".

One other thing. I remember seeing a commercial for Planned Parenthood (or something akin to it) on one of the NYC stations several years ago that had a female kangaroo on the beach (I think). The kangaroo is in silhouette. The voice sounded like it belonged to Louise, but I've never been able to track down this ad online. If anyone can help solve this case, I'd be very happy.

A number of actors have criss-crossed between live-action and toon work over the course of years. Norm Alden, H-B's original Aquaman (1973-78), as most people know, also co-starred in "Electra Woman & Dyna Girl" during the 1st season of "Krofft Supershow" and has guested on many other series over the years, including "Operation Petticoat" and "Murder She Wrote". The seemingly ageless Michael Bell boasts guest appearances on "Benson", "Three's Company", "Dallas", & "Star Trek: The Next Generation" over the course of over 40 years in the business. Not sure if he's also doing those Mr. Opportunity ads for Honda, though. Phil LaMarr (Static Shock, Samurai Jack, et al) crossed over from "Mad TV" and seemingly hasn't looked back.

We don't need to reference the most obvious (Casey Kasem, Gary Owens, et al), just the ones you might not expect to actually see. If anyone's got a few favorites.....!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  2. Replikon Xum

Replikon Xum Reporter

Actually, I just found out from Michael Bell (Zan) that BJ Ward never played Jayna on the "Super Friends" series -- hence my recent retraction to my Shannon Farnon article. He also confirmed that Ms. Williams indeed voiced Jayna in 1984, though uncredited.

And IMDB has some cleaning up to do...

Xum

3. Kenny E. McCall

Kenny E. McCall We fight like cats!

I recently saw Daniel Gilvezan (Transformers, Pound Puppies, Jem) on an episode of "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" where he played a psychiatrist named B. Witchfield.

And I'm pretty sure I saw Susan Blu (various cartoons) on a 1979 episode of Three's Company, before she became very popular in the animation business.

Kenny :D

4. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

I remember sometime in the mid-90s, Comedy Central showed episodes of this sitcom about the lives workers at a cartoon studio called The Duck Factory. They did it largely because it was the first television series featuring Jim Carrey made in the '80s way before In Living Color. I brought it up because one of the characters on the show was played by voice-acting legend Don Messick who played a voice actor in the cartoon within the series. It was a fun little series, but it was cancelled early and rarely seen.

5. Eric B

Eric B New Member

Wow; growing up on both series (Odd Couple first); never realized that!
    the voice on Jayna in 1984 was clearly different, and when they were saying "Wonder Twin Powers" in unison, it sounded all off.

6. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Neither did I until a few years ago.

Indeed, which had everyone thinking Louise Williams had been replaced after 7 seasons. Now, if we can confirm she did that Planned Parenthood ad I referenced before (and I wish I could find the video).......

7. SF4Ever

SF4Ever New Member

You're right, Eric. The voice of Jayna sounded different in 1984. I happen to own Superfriends: The Legendary Super Powers Show on DVD. Jayna, that season, sounded more like Russi Taylor, as she also voiced the girl the Wonder Twins and Apache Chief rescued from the root branch on a cliff. If there was any voice actress, back then, with a squeaky voice that succeeded Louise Williams as Jayna, it was clearly Russi Taylor. Please check out the short cartoon, "The Village of Lost Souls" with the Wonder Twins, Apache Chief and Wonder Woman, and listen to the voices- you could probably tell by watching and listening to the episode that it had to be Taylor as Jayna.

8. Fibber Fox

Fibber Fox New Member

Woodson also did the Freberg Underground album. You can't miss his voice. I remember him on camera from a Get Smart episode; he did some off-camera stuff on at least one other very late in the run.

I was going to say Marvin Miller was the original Aquaman, but that was a Filmation series, wasn't it? (Some of the voice acting on the Superman part was done in New York, because it featured Bud Collyer, Joan Alexander and Jackson Beck from the original radio show).

Thanks for the note about Jerry Dexter. I didn't realise any of that (or maybe forgot after 40 years).

F. Fox
    http://yowpyowp.blogspot.com

9. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Now, that's something I didn't even know!

You are correct, sir!! ;) :p :D Now you know why I entered the qualifier.

10. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

I'm going to add another name to the list.

Michael Rye: Most of you will remember he was the voice behind Green Lantern & Apache Chief during his Super Friends run (1977-86), but he also worked on the original Lone Ranger cartoon (1966). To my surprise, I discovered that his career extends all the way to the 50's, as he was the announcer for "The Cisco Kid". ("Here's adventure! Here's romance!") I found this out when I popped a Cisco DVD into the player one day. Michael also can be heard on the Dragon's Lair video game that came out in the mid-80s. Not sure if he also worked on the short-lived cartoon that spun from the game.

11. CelesteK

CelesteK Secret Gobots Fan.

Walker Edmiston: I was suprised to learn on his IMDB profile that he had done an extensive number of characters on H.R. Pufnstuf and played Doctor Brown on Little House On The Prarie.

Peter Cullen: Almost all of the bad guys on the Gobots including Spoiler, Pincher, Blockhead, Tank, Loco etal.

Frank Welker: Half and half on the Gobots. Scooter, Zeemon, Rest-Q, Screw Head etal.

Arthur Burhardt: Turbo, Cop-Tur, and Klaws on the Gobots. He had taken over the role of Cop-Tur from Bob Holt after he died in 1985.

Marylin Lightstone: She played Miss Stacy Muriel on Anne of Green Gables the Sequal. She also had a double role playing Crasher and Pathfinder on the Gobots.

Paul Eding: Played Perceptor on the Transformers. Also played Scorp on the Gobots.

B.J. (Betty Jean) Ward: Played Scarlet on G.I. Joe, Princess Allura and Witch Hagar on Voltron, and was Velma Dinkley on Scooby Doo and also had a double role playing Small Foot and Snoop on the Gobots.

And those are the ones that I'm aware.

12. Eric B

Eric B New Member

Yeah; that name sounds familiar. It's not in the Cartoon Encyclopedia, so perhaps I saw it in the credits.
    I remembered Cullen's name from PacMan. There, he was Sour Puss (all he did was screech, and that sounded more like Frank Welker, like Chomp Chomp). Russi Taylor was in there too, as Baby Pac!

13. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

A couple years ago I stumbled across an episode of Three's Company on TV Land. I didn't recognize the guy standing there at first, but as soon as he started talking I could instantly tell he was a Ninja Turtle from the '80s cartoon. It was Barry Gordon, the voice of Donatello.

Kevin Conroy has been in a variety of live-action television series prior to B:TAS, including a starring role on the short-lived Rachel Gunn, R.N., where he showed his comedy chops, and a semi-starring role in the first season of the '80s Vietnam series Tour of Duty.

It's actually Rob Paulsen. I hear them on the radio sometimes, too. Bell was also doing Zales diamond store ads a few years ago.

14. CelesteK

CelesteK Secret Gobots Fan.

There were a few more people who's voices and faces that I'm familliar with.

Peter Renaday: Master Blaster in Kidd Video, The Master Renegade in the Gobots, and Splinter in the Mark Wolfe version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Rene Auberjonois: After doing some extensive research I found that before he was Odo on Star Trek DS9 he did some voice work on The Gobots, Extreme Ghostbusters, and Duck Dodgers to name a few shows.

15. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Barry also appeared on "Fish" w/Abe Vigoda.

Ok, I wasn't sure about the Honda ads, and it sounds as if Rob's doing a good mimic of Bell. Michael also did the Parkay talking tub ads as far back as the 70's, and was doing Zales until at least a year or two ago. Thanks for the info.

16. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

Pre-DS9, Rene also co-starred on "Benson" (as Clayton). Like so many others, he's made a 2nd career in voice-overs.

17. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

Mary Jo Catlett played Pearl, the Drummond's final maid on Diff'rent Strokes. Didn't even realize it at first, but she also plays Ms. Puff, the ever-suffering boating teacher of the title character on Spongebob Squarepants. I was kind of shocked when I found that out because deep in my pop cultural-addled mind, I recognized the voice and thought "I know that voice. Wasn't Ms. Puff on Diff'rent Strokes?"

18. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity New Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one but the mother on Wizards of Waverly Place is Justice League's Hawkgirl, Maria Canals, and the father is Megas XLR's Koop, David DeLuise.

19. Nickle98499

Nickle98499 Member

I did some research about a few of the voice cast of Scooby Doo over the years on IMDB and I was surprised to learn several interesting things. First, even though he has been mentioned here already i'll mention him again Frank Welker the long time voice of Fred and the current voice of Scooby was in an Elvis Presley movie called The Trouble With Girls if i'm not mistaken, also in that movie was the first voice of Velma: Nicole Jaffe. Also according to IMDB Nicole was in a couple episodes of the tv series Room 222 and was in Disney's the Love Bug. Also, apparently Heather North the second voice of Daphne did quite a few tv shows as well including Green Acres, Sesame Street, Adam-12 and Ironside, plus she was in the soap opera Days Of Our Lives(quick side note, I watched the Green Acres episode with her on TV Land back in April, the voice she used for Daphne was very close to real voice). Pat Stevens the second voice of Velma did quite a few episodes of M*A*S*H in the late 70's as well. Plus, Stephanianna Christpherson the first voice of Daphne did a few tv shows including episodes of Sanford and Son and Here Come The Brides.

20. hobbyfan

hobbyfan Active Member

I do remember that Heather North had appeared on Days of Our Lives for several years back in the 70's and I presume also the 80's.

And as long as we're talking Scooby, Casey Kasem (Shagggy) had a few live-action credits under his belt before launching "America's Top 10" in July 1980 (the sister series to American Top 40, which had marked its 10th anniversary at the time). Casey had appeared on Hawaii 5-0, and would later make guest appearances on Saved By the Bell (2), Matt Houston, and Sweepstakes (short-lived NBC anthology). He also did some Dean Martin roasts, and one of them---the Don Rickles episode---is available in part on YouTube. Casey's only movie credit was, of course, "The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant", w/Bruce Dern and post-Munsters Pat Priest in 1971.

And of course you know, the current Velma, Mindy Cohn, was making a bit of a comeback, since she hadn't been seen or heard much since Facts of Life signed off several years ago.