1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Identity Crisis" Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by HighSky, Jun 9, 2004.

1. titanic_sux

titanic_sux Member

question about Identity crisis

has Meltzer actually said anywhere that one of the hero will be THE killer??

2. titanic_sux

titanic_sux Member

my theory

is that a hero won't be THE KILLER but a hero will get so pissed off that he/she/it WILL MURDER the KILLER. Thus become a criminal in the eyes of the rest rest of the heroes.

3. Legionaire

Legionaire Eat it, Grandpa

Interestingly enough, I happened to have been going thru some very old JLA issues the other day. At the end of the first appearance of The Key (way back in JLA v1 #41), Green Lantern very matter-of-factly erases everyone's secret identities and the location of the JLA headquarters from The Key's mind. Nary a protest from anybody. It was almost an afterthought on the writer's part(Gardner Fox). The funny thing is, on The Key's next appearance, he doesn't seem to have forgotten anything. :D

4. Legionaire

Legionaire Eat it, Grandpa

I still think Sue having a child that went undiscovered by her husband (or noticed by anyone else over the course of several months) strains credibility to the breaking point. I don't care what "magic" was used to cover it up.

The idea of a Barry/Sue fling is interesting. But it really tampers with everything we've known about both characters throughout DC history, and so would be "stunt plotting" of the worst order.

I'd be very disappointed with Meltzer if either of these turned out to be true.

5. Gillespee

Gillespee Member

I don't think anyone objected to wiping secret identities from the minds of the criminals, that was almost a necessity. It was changing Dr. Light's personality, "cleaning him up a bit," as Hawkman put it, that started the argument whether or not that was taking things too far. No one seemed to care when Zatanna made him forget. It was no big deal. So seeing Lantern do it shouldn't have been a problem either.

6. Somejerk

Somejerk Member

Everyone was over in the Killer Revealed Leak Thread, but I wanted to discuss the revalation about Batman.

I don't buy the idea that everyone exept for Batman believes that the killer was Boomerang

Also Merlyn when talkingto Calculator said that Deadshot called Luthor. Is Luthor back? I thought he kind of fell off the map afte the frist Batman/Superman arc?

7. Gillespee

Gillespee Member

It sure seems like there should be more to all of this than
    That's obviously where they writers want us to go with this, but I'm not sure we don't have a couple more plot twists coming up. Maybe I'm just wrong, and they want us to be questioning. *headache*

If this turns out to be true, I'm going to be very dissapointed. I', with somejerk, why EVERYONE out there is accepting Boomerang for the killer? How would he have gotten inside Sue's apartment? How would he know who Lois is? Green Arrow's lengthy internal monologue makes it clear that they don't know how, they just accept it. The hero's behavior makes no sense. "Well, someone out there pretty much knows everything about us. It looks like this overweight, hasn't accomplished anything in years loser might have done it. Then again, he might not have. But we're not worried."

As of now, all I see is a fairly whacked out DC universe coming out of this (and Robin having more time to dedicate to the "job.") Unless they've got some major fireworks planned for # 7, this might be the DC version of the Clone Saga.

Edit: It might also have been nice to see a bit more of Robin. He gets the first few splashy pages and then he's gone into thin air. Would Batman rob Robin of the chance for revenge knowing how much it would mean to him? I know he tried with Dick in BTAS, but would he race off to find Ray without even mentioning it to Tim?

8. Reirden

Why would he? If the
    is the IC killer, it won't matter to Tim. The man who killed his father was already dead, and I doubt Bruce would let him get his revenge on the person who put out a hit. That's not what Batman's about anyways, he's more of a justice type of guy more than revenge. Besides, if your father was just killed a few hours before, would you really want to hear, "Hey, I found him. Want to bring him down?"

Anyways, IC 6 really got me thinking. This already has had some huge effects on the DCU, Firestorm, Sue, Jack, and Boomerang are all dead. And it seems the Deathstroke has a personal vendetta against Green Arrow. Tim's probably going to live with Bruce or Dick now (unless they drag his step-mother back into things :ack: ), and become more of a traditional Robin, which is cool with me.

The ending has me thinking the most. That room held my two top suspects for the killings, though I can't help but think that

I don't like how everyone's accepted Boomerang as the killer. Why would they let that slide? At least the DCU has some smart heroes who continue to investigate the case.

I don't think it's anyone suspected earlier. It would be a poor ending to a murder mystery to use someone that people suspected early on. I don't think the murderer will be anyone the heroes suspected at the beginning. I still put my money on
    , though I can't come up with a solid motive.

9. Gillespee

Gillespee Member

Very good point, I meant to say the person who payed for the hit.

Actually, yeah, I think that is exactly what my reaction would be (even more so if I were a costumed vigilante.) I'm not so sure about this distinction between justice and revenge. Sure, they're different, but I'm not sure that they are that different in Batman's world. I would want to be a part of bringing in (not taking down) my parents killer. As Bruce has never had this opportunity, I would think he would allow Tim that responsibility. And it's still botched that Tim never reappears.

10. MJC

MJC Active Member

It looks like it was
    I have no idea what the motive could be... :sweat:

11. titanic_sux

titanic_sux Member

ok here's my theory

Mind you I haven't got my hand on no.6

12. Jack Frenzy

Jack Frenzy Monkey-King-in-Training

After the revelations about Batman in 6, I can't help but wonder...

13. Damien

Damien Watching

I hate to interrupt. Haven't had a chance to pick any of these up, but from what I've seen, it looks really good. Any word on when a TBP will be released?

14. Jack Frenzy

You'll have to wait a little while.

Hardcover: September 2005.
    Softcover: Summer 2006.

15. Damien

Damien Watching

So...back issues then. Alrighty. Thank you.

16. Somejerk

Somejerk Member

I know they have reprinted The first issue (and maybe the second im not sure)
    so it shouldnt be too bad price wise.

17. Jack Frenzy

There's actually a THIRD printing of issue one coming out this week.

18. Jade_GL

Jade_GL An Aperture Science Original

Let's just say that after the upswing in quality that happened in issue 5, I am unbelievably unimpressed by the direction that issue 6 took the story.

So far, this series has had two great issues (1 and 5) and a bunch of mediocre issues (everything else).

I wish I could be optimistic about where the story is going, but with so little space to work with left, I really can't see how this is going to right itself.

Yeah, I will be mad if what the end of issue 6 implies is true. Not only that, but I am also getting more and more irked at the treatment of long time, estalished characters in the series itself. Yeah, I understand that people can be *different* than they have been portrayed in the past, but this is stretching it to the limits in my mind. Secret affairs and secret children (in some theories), heroes going bad for no good reason I can see, heroes that we have see act one way all their careers suddenly acting in another way, it just seems like it's too much to push the story along.

Anyway, I will wait for the next issue, but I can't say I am especially hopeful. Oh well. At least the art is pretty.

19. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity Active Member

Mister Intensity

20. Reed Richards

Reed Richards Mr. Fantastic

has anyone but me realized that this story is at least partially a big reprisal of the Squadron Supreme series? at least the 12-issue maxi that Gru did anyway.