1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Identity Crisis" Mini-Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by HighSky, Jun 9, 2004.

1. HighSky

HighSky Immortal

The Event begins.

Identity Crisis #1 (of 7)

[​IMG]

WRITTEN BY: Brad Meltzer
    ART BY: Rags Morales and Michael Bair
    COVER BY: Michael Turner

THE STORY:The JLA has a secret. It’s a secret they’ll fight to keep, a secret they're willing to sacrifice themselves for. But this sacrifice, this victim seems almost too much for them to bear… For more information, see the feature article.

--------------------------------------------------​

Identity Crisis #2 (of 7)

[​IMG]

THE STORY:Continuing the shocking miniseries that will shake the entire DCU to its very core! In the aftermath of a devastating loss, past and present members of the JLA revisit a deep dark secret of their collective past. Alliances will form and trusts will be broken as the heroes and villains try to solve the greatest mystery to hit the world in decades!.

Identity Crisis #3 (of 7)

[​IMG]

THE STORY: The mysterious murders in the DCU continue to fuel the flames of unrest in both the heroic community AND the emerging cabal of villains! And if the knock-down, drag-out battle supreme between Deathstroke the Terminator and the Justice League is any indication, things are going to get far worse before they get better!

Identity Crisis #4 (of 7)

[​IMG]

THE STORY: How could anyone get past the Thanagarian, Martian, Apokoliptian and Kryptonian security systems installed since the murder of a loved one in IDENTITY CRISIS #1?

And look out, because new suspects in the serial killings just may start involving the villains’ loved ones too!

Identity Crisis #5 (of 7)

THE STORY: The heroes take a proactive stance against the villains of the DCU…at the cost of lives on both sides of the crisis! Unfortunately, nothing can prevent another loss in a hero's private life. With the stakes raised for everyone involved, things are going to get a lot worse before they get better!

Identity Crisis #6 (of 7)

THE STORY: From the very start, he's been on the case and sifting through clues. No one knows better what it’s like to lose someone you love. He's the World’s Greatest Detective. Now it’s time for Batman to prove it.

Identity Crisis #7 (of 7)

[​IMG]

THE STORY: It’s the shocking conclusion of the most talked-about comic book event of the year! For the past seven months, a new level of humanity has been brought to the DC Universe. Here's where it all comes together. Lives are saved but souls are wrecked as this landmark story concludes!

Please remember there are major spoilers in this event and long lasting effects on the DCU.(Or at least thats what they keep on telling us.)

~SkY~

2. VDelsante

VDelsante Member

What a beautiful book. Story, art...beautiful is the only way to describe it. I almost bawled on the train last night.

Curse you, Meltzer!

3. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

The writing was good as was the art. I like Ollie's insight to on the funeral. If Ollie, Ralph, Dinah, Carter, Ray and Zatanna are right about who did the deed and if Ollie's statement of the cops had better find the killer before they get to the murderer implies what I think it does, then Doctor Light had better watch himself. Ollie has a point about Bruce though. I like Bruce, but he is human and can overlook stuff. It was kinda nice to see him go in there with Scott, Buddy, Ray Terrill, Ray Palmer, and two of the Metal Men to investigate to see if Bruce overlooked something. Before I conclue this I gotta say one thing...

Rest in Peace, Susan Dearbon Dinby.:( Especially tragic that she was pregnant when she died and how she did. Here's to hoping no one else joins her.

#3 JLU Dude, Jun 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2004
  4. Nick K.

Nick K. Active Member

Exceptional! Meltzer, Morales and Bair have all created an exceptional piece of work. I think the storyand art are amazing. This is definitely the beginning of a great miniseries that looks like it will go through the DCU and rock some stuff.

And for anyone who feels it was a bad move to kill Sue Dibny, I would say you're wrong. I had no idea who she was until I started reading what Identity Crisis may be about, and from that it was just she was the wife of Elongated Man, a character I cared nothing for. After reading this issue, I have not only learned about both of them but am deeply affected by the story. They introduce this as a love story that turns into the loss of onbe of them and that truly hits the reader hard... I'm sure more stuff like this will happen and this is just a great start so... Cannot wait for next issue!

5. HighSky

HighSky Immortal

Good god.

A story that goes beyond the big 3? Every hero is involved, but it comes down to the classic JLA(Palmer, Queen, Zatanna, Hall,Dibny, Lance, and The late Mr.'s Jordan and Allen). What makes it harder and more emotional was that Sue was pregnant.

I can't wait to see where this story goes. And find out where it plays in the long run.

5 F'n Stars.

~SkY~

6. KuwabaraTheMan

KuwabaraTheMan Active Member

This story was one of the best comics I've ever read, it absorbed unlike anything since "Watchmen". Even though I knew who was going to die, it was one of the best things ever, and I can't wait to read the rest of the series as it is released.

7. MAXIMUS

MAXIMUS The Hound

I don't wanna sound like a n00b but who is Dibny?

8. Nick K.

Nick K. Active Member

Dibny is the last name of Ralph Dibny (Elongated Man) and his late wife (now) Sue.

9. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

I originally wasn't going to get this, but I caved and bought this anyway. Now I'm pretty glad they did. What a moving comic.

I suggest we all have amoment of silence for the late Sue Dibny.

10. Mister Intensity

Mister Intensity Active Member

At this rate, the only woman who will be left in the DC Universe is Wonder Woman (Diana).

Mister Intensity

11. Sue

Sue Hawk Groupie

This is one of the best, most powerful comics I read in some time. Though I'm only casually familiar with the Dibneys, losing Sue the way Ralph did was awful. The flashbacks to happier times for them and the funeral really brought the tragedy of it home for me. Also, it was nice see the show of support from everyone else, from Mr. Miracle, Animal Man, Atom, etc, helping at the crime scence to various DCU teams attending the funeral. Brad's a great storyteller, and Rags' pencils (as usual) flat out rocked! I'm really looking forward to the next issue :cool:

12. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

I thought this clip from the big funeral pic was interesting...

[​IMG]

Guy Gardner... Green Lantern? It was definitely Kyle Raynor sitting off to the back.

13. Cool Blue

Cool Blue Grand Master

Well, I wasn't sure about getting this comic. I wouldn't know whether or not to get it until reading these reviews. With all the positiveness, and good comments I'll go on and pick it up.

14. halinar

halinar Active Member

I was thinking the exact same thing... What's up with that? I've been out of the GL books for a long while but I don't I would have missed something like that. Last thing I knew was he was running some bar from what was seen in the flash recently.

But an in-freaking-credible book!!!
    I knew about sue from all the JLA books but it read so that someone who knew nothing about the character would still feel the impact of her death.

WOW!

15. Thanos

Thanos The Mad Titan

Wow. That was certainly one of the best comics I've ever read. I've never actually read a story that prominently featured Sue or Ralph, but Brad Meltzer made me care about these characters as if I had been reading them my whole life. This issue was so well written that I actually spurred a tear during the funeral scene. Meltzer's love for these characters really showed in his beautiful writing and Rags Morales captured each person's emotions beautifully. A++

16. Emerald Archer

Emerald Archer From the Inner Sanctum

The Truth may come out..........

Guy as a Lantern may have a tie in with Green Lantern: Reborn. We are being promised that this will more than just revitalize Hal. I have suspected for awhile now that Guy was going to come back as GL. We need him in the Corp!

As an aside, by this time next week my official review of Identity Crisis #1 will be us.

EA

The Mad Reviewer!

17. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

That's why I mentioned that Kyle was in the room as well. Either this takes place in the very near future in the GL continuity, and it will all be explained. Or it takes place with what's going on concurrently in GL... and Guy's walking around without a ring that noone's told us about yet.

Or it's a continuity mistake, the same way they messed up with John's mask in Crisis. :) But since the Green Lantern fixes are such a big part of this event, I find that hard to believe.

18. randomguy

randomguy Came, liked Ike, and left.

It wouldn't be the only significant continuity error in this issue, because Captain Atom is dead yet shows up at the funeral. I don't think there's a way around that, unless this takes place prior to Superman/Batman #6, which seems pretty unlikely for a variety of reasons.

19. JLU Dude

JLU Dude Active Member

Well, DC's been a but lax in the continuity department lately, anyway. I mean, The Tenth Circle just ruled out all prior Doom Patrol stories as continuity and has forced Geoff Johns to revise Beast Boy's origins in Teen Titans. Any way, regarding Guy, it might have been a repilca of his old GL costume (Which until EinBebop mentioned it, I didn't noticed Guy in his GL costume). Captain Atom, even though he aid it was a possibility he'd die in S/B 6, I can't explain him.

20. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Wlll, I think it takes place some time in the future, because Tim's dad knows he is Robin, and he's wearing the costume again, meaning that Girl Robin isn't around anymore.