1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Identifying Kennedy Cartoons Animators

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Cartoon_central, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Cartoon_central

Well thanks anyway it was worth a try.

2. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Yeah, sorry I can't be of much help. When I had an email conversation with Willy Ashworth a few years ago he was going to send me John's contact info but it never materialized and I didn't want to pester him about it.

I've also asked Enzo Avolio if he remembers what he animated for Disney at KC, and he didn't. The general tone I got from his response was, "Dude, that was ages ago." That was disappointing, but it's to be expected: With the show over 25 years old now, memories are getting fuzzier every day. And I'm not sure exactly how much context the animators were given for the scenes they animated- remember, not all of them worked out of the Kennedy studio. If they were merely mailed directions on what to animate, without any context of the plot, and they only did about 15-20 seconds of work in an episode, it's even more understandable if one can't remember specifics.

EDIT: Hope you don't mind, but I re-titled this thread, since we're talking about more than just Dave Feiss now.

#22 SB20xx, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  3. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I will say, even though the quality of their work could vary greatly, one thing I like about Kennedy Cartoons is how each individual animator's work can be told apart, very much like the golden age of animation. My favorites would have to be Jon McClenahan (duh!), Glen Kennedy (that is, his good stuff like in "Gang Busters" or "Best O' Plucky Duck Day"), John Williamson, and maybe the late Harold Duckett.
    All this talk of the different animators has gotten me considering doing a discussion thread about "Fields of Honey," as that's also one of my favorite Kennedy episodes, and it seems to show off nearly all of the different Kennedy styles, including Glen Kennedy, Jon McClenahan, Willy Ashworth, David Feiss, and some other distinct ones we haven't identified yet.

4. Cartoon_central

I have a feeling John Williamson did the Kennedy esque bits in It's A Wonderful Tiny Toons Christmas Special such Elmyra dresssing up Montana Max as a star and trying to kiss him, when Byron eats the Christmas turkey, and some of the Plucky Duck Show intro, he is credited in the episode.

5. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Weren't the original bits of animation in the Plucky Duck Show intro just animated in-house at WB? They were merely taken from TTA (the Plucky-centric episode intros and "Parting is such sweet sorrow.").

6. Cartoon_central

I was talking about the one used in "It's A Wonderful Tiny Toon Christmas Special" when Buster looks at the vision of how Tiny Toons who be if he never existed:

I think Williamson animated the part where he says "Oh I'm Plucky Duck and I'm a zany mega star, there's lots of other Tiny Toons but who cares who they are".