1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Identifying Kennedy Cartoons Animators

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Cartoon_central, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Cartoon_central

It turns out to be none other than Cow and Chicken and IM Weasel creator David Feiss, a user on Twitter who storyboards for Wabbit a Looney Tunes Production mentioned once that those scenes where the characters have skinny limbs in the Kennedy Cartoons episodes of Tiny Toon Adventures have a striking similarity to the art style of Cow and Chicken especially how the mouths moved in those scenes, so I had user John Pannozzi who had previously interviewed him for Platypuscomix to ask him also sending him gifs of those scenes.

This is what he had to say: " I think it is so amazing that anyone could have spotted an individual style from these cartoons! I DID work a bit on the Kennedy Cartoons Tiny Toons, it is my style when I was a very young animator, and I have a very vague recollection about those individual sequences I animated when I was in my twenties."

#1 Cartoon_central, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. Erased Paper

Erased Paper Member

What episode is this referring to?

3. Cartoon_central

There are at least two episodes where this style shows up, Buster and the Wolverine and You Asked For It Part II during the segment "The Return Of The Toxic Avenger'', during a discussion of Kennedy Cartoons on this site they referred to one style as the "skinny limbs" animator, this is what it looks like:http://imgur.com/gallery/SK3mPF8
    http://imgur.com/gallery/gfg49gk
    http://imgur.com/gallery/jj2mzxb
    http://imgur.com/gallery/TjFZ13x

4. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

That's amazing! Now I know who was responsible for that recurring walk cycle seen in "Buster and the Wolverine"...
    [​IMG]

I believe the scene in "Hare Today Gone Tomorrow" when Buster and the other animal prisoners escape out the window was also animated by David Feiss, as it looks similar to those other scenes ("Dear diary, I am so happy, I think I may boo-hoo!" Fifi writes in her diary at that part.) This was in the second act, directed by Ken Boyer, which had some variety in animation styles, but still half of it was animated by Glen Kennedy. (Of course, Glen animated a LOT in the first act and the entire third act, directed by Eddie Fitzgerald, whom really liked Glen's work and probably wanted to have him animate as much of Eddie's parts of the episode as possible.)

5. Cartoon_central

I think you're right thanks for pointing that out, it also looks like Feiss' style when Furball is sitting in the cage groaning.

#5 Cartoon_central, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  6. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

On the subject of uncredited Kennedy animators, does anybody know if it's accurate that Bob Carlson animated on "Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow"? I see his name listed on imdb for that episode but any registered user can add anything to that site, and I'm not familiar enough with his style to pick it out myself to verify.

7. Cartoon_central

I have no idea I'm not that familiar with Bob's style either, but unless there is some evidence to back it up I don't believe it's true.

8. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Yeah and unfortunately Bob Carlson is dead so it's not like we can just ask him like we did with Dave Feiss and Mike Milo.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

That is a huge surprise. You can normally tell Feiss's style by the giant jutting teeth and narrow eyes on his characters, neither of which are present on the TT characters during these scenes. I never knew it was him.

10. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Bump. I believe Feiss also worked on "Fields of Honey", the scene where Babs waits through multiple seasons for people to come to the theater, and then laments, "Why isn't anyone coming?!" and decides to advertise.

11. Cartoon_central

Thanks for the find!

12. wiley207

Yes, I recall seeing Feiss's style in "Fields of Honey." That episode seems to have showcased nearly all of the Kennedy Cartoons styles in it! It's one of my favorites too; a great plot for WB cartoon fans, and some of my favorite Jon McClenahan animation in it too. I may need to do a discussion post about it soon, also pointing out the different styles...

13. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

BTW, cartoon_central, there seem to be some incorrect identifications on your Imgur link.

- This one isn't animated by Harold Duckett, but by Glen Kennedy. It's possible Duckett assisted Glen, though.

- I'm pretty sure the Plucky reaction shots are by Glen Kennedy. The animation on the female duck could be by Harold Duckett, though.

- Almost certainly by Jon McClenahan, not Harold Duckett.

- Again, I don't think is by Harold Duckett. It's almost certainly by Glen Kennedy.

- This isn't by Jon McClenahan. Unfortunately I don't know who actually animated it. Could've been one of the Koreans, but that's strictly a guess.

#13 SB20xx, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  14. Cartoon_central

Most them are guesses based on things I've read and know about their styles, as for the Harold Duckett stuff I got most of them from this picture he had hanging in his office when he was an animation teacher, so I assumed all these scenes were animated by him: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3826/898/1600/HAROLD- 011.jpg

I too thought the Wolverine carrying Hamton on the plate was McClenahan but since a frame from that is on the collage I attributed it to him, maybe Duckett just animated the Wolverine running from behind.

15. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Harold Duckett's style is most evident with these examples:

- As I think I mentioned previously, this is proof that Kennedy Cartoons helped out on "Hero Hamton" despite not being listed in the credits.

- The "And I made some sandwiches!" part, anyway- I believe the animation right after that is from a different animator.

16. wiley207

I remember I also saw a brief bit of Harold Duckett animation in the Darkwing Duck episode "Whiffle While You Work," after Quackerjack traps DD in the motorized hula hoop and he says "Run away, run away, we could play another day" and takes off on a motorized pogo stick. It looks pretty similar to those "Hero Hamton" and "High Toon" examples.

As for "Hero Hamton," I'm pretty sure the brief bits of Kennedy animation in that episode were put in to pad out the episode due to it running a bit short. I mean, that jump rope scene earlier in the episode looks like it was just cut and pasted into the episode, and Harold Duckett's bit also looks like it wasn't originally part of the episode.
    Also with identifying the different animators, Glen Kennedy is often easy to spot, due to the way his characters tended to shuffle their feet as they talked, stick their index finger in the air at times, and stuff like that. The way he draws eyes and other facial features are also often rather distinctive, and I also recognize how he often does wild takes as well. Some really good examples of his work would have to be the majority of the "One Minute to Three" short and the first five minutes of "Fields of Honey," and he also did most of the final act of "Gang Busters."

17. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Duckett's work is also seen in "Jurassic Jumble" (the brief animation of Stegmutt nodding) and "Water Way to Go" (the brief animation of Darkwing and Launchpad hitting the wall and then falling).

18. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

19. Cartoon_central

Thanks can you point out some more of John Williamson's stuff, I know he did The Wolverine playing drums, Furball playing a fiddle, and the opening for Slappy Goes Walnuts.

20. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!

Sorry this reply is so late, but I'm not terribly familiar with John Williamson's work. The only one I know with 100% certainty is the old cartoon from "Slappy Goes Walnuts", and that's because Jon McClenahan verified it on the forums.