1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for the February event!

Discussion in 'The Drawing Board' started by James, Jan 21, 2004.

1. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well after the talk in the Jan event, I thought we should start discussing now. I'm not throwing anything onto the table for this one, it sounds like we may have a backlog of unused ideas..

So lets hear them!

2. jeffrey 228

jeffrey 228 Active Member

Well although I don't do much drawing, I have an idea for the Valintines(sp?) day and make some drawings of Cuples like for example Starfire and Robin from the Teen Titans or even Batman with Catwoman, that sort of detail, it think that would be very lovly and very interesting too if that was done, just taking a good thought for the time being, I hope everyone else likes the idea. :) :anime:

3. Frozen

Frozen When Hell freezes over.

Well, the Valentine's theme last year was very succesful, I seem to recall... Do you think we can catch lightning in a bottle twice..?

4. Outlander00

Outlander00 Another Stand Alone Complex

hmmm... I'll agree with Frosty on this. I think we should bring back the contest for February (of peers at least), seeing as how it was so successful last year. If it aint broke dont fix it, thats my motto! :D

Then again, I have plenty more mottos if anyone wants to hear them :p

5. Rune

Rune off(world) model

I'm kind of torn to be honest, on the one hand last year's stuff was excellent, everyone usually feels inspired by the Valentine theme and likes showing off their favourite couple but on the other hand it can become a bit predictable (not that there's anything wrong in that really :D ), maybe a different theme could be adapted from the simple Valentine couples one? Secret admirer / guess who, forbidden love, my funny valentine (okay, enough with the cliches) - anybody have any ideas to throw in?

My other thought is since Valentine's Day itself however does have a sneaky habit of coming right in the middle of the month - its already only 3 weeks plus a few days away - do we go hell for leather and get it ready for the big romantic weekend or do we slide it to the end of the month when the day itself is long gone? I know a lot of people who participate in the monthly jams are busy with work/school/personal projects right now and so time does play a major key.

Perhaps so's not to put pressure on we could run a valentine theme deadlining / premiering around 14th that people could do if they wanted to - and had the time - while running another theme or jam with a later due date. Obviously if on the other hand nobody has a problem with sliding the valentine stuff back to the end of Feb then that's fine.

As mentioned here already I believe there's a backlog of ideas floating around so it would be good to hear of those too, I need to go think ... don't hold your breath waiting :p

6. Frozen

This is just a vague suggestion inspired by an even vaguer idea - but isn't the Store having a "Greatest love stories" theme in Febuary? Couldn't we do a bit of "cross-promotion" between the DB and the Store with us both adopting the same theme..?

Just a thought... *shrugs*

7. Rune

Rune off(world) model

Hmmm, that's quite an intriguing idea, I like it.

8. Dee

Dee What?

Yeah... I dunno. I wasnt around for last Feb but the whole love theme has already been done.

If we're gonna do "love" we might as well open it up to just the word. Theres more than the love between people. Homer Simpson loves a good doughnut, the worm aliens from MIB love coffee... Harley Quinn loves raising heck in gotham.

doing "couples" just feels like it's the same old thing, because it is. If we did "your love" as a theme then people could do couples but people with other ideas could still go down that path.

9. Frozen

Good points, and well made... :)

10. Tanooki

Tanooki Supplexing disease since 1982.

i'm not good with romance :sweat: can we concentrate on some other aspect of february instead? :sweat:

Falcon

11. Rune

Rune off(world) model

Uh huh, as I said higher up the thread it might get a bit predictable and as Blue's pointed out not everyone wants to think of mushy stuff Valentine's day not withstanding.

I had a look at an old suggestions thread from back in August and opinion then seemed to lean heavily on the fun factor rather than the competitive element so taking that into account what else does February - or simply this time of year - make us think of? It makes me think that spring is hopefully just around the corner, of spring breaks and also of pancakes though I'm not sure how we could incorporate them.

Maybe another phrase similar to the summertime themed jam could be cooked up. We choose a phrase and then everyone gets a letter and does their own thing. This way if we want to take a valentine-type route we could keep within the umbrella theme of love while keeping its interpretation more open as Delia suggested. That way we can have our favourite couples if we want them or draw individuals doing nothing romantic at all, simply celebrating the love of something they like to eat/drink/do etc - this gives a good chance for those who have them to show off their original characters too.

12. Frozen

I'm liking this idea... A lot. Kinda takes me back to the first ever All Star Jam... *goes misty eyed*...

13. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

Feb is the 2nd month, perhaps something based on '2' '2nd' ot double, and the like. Could be interesting

14. Mek

Mek Digestive Juices

If there's no romance, I ain't biting. :D
    (Sorry, just had to state my opinion, as brash as it is)

'Sides, I'll be out of town that weekend with someone I deeply love, so Valentines Day has special meaning for me this year. :)

And I can't think of anything else to suggest that isn't romance. Sorry! ^^

15. Tanooki

Tanooki Supplexing disease since 1982.

well, i guess we could go with a valentine's/lovey dovey approach. i'll just draw my character with a BIG FRICKEN HEART OF ICE! BWA-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH :EVIL: umm... <.< >.> where am i?

*cracks whip* 4 DAYS!!!

Falcon

16. Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Good Ol' Batmanuel! Dressing for success?

17. Dee

Dee What?

I love it! It would be kinda cool. So would it be a character we've made ourselves or just off the tops of our heads?

18. Good Ol' Batmanuel!

Good Ol' Batmanuel! Dressing for success?

Anything you want! :) The idea is that you use vague descriptions so that everyone involved has their own specific ideas.

Me and my brother would do all kinds of crazy things! I'd say something like "Draw a can of soup. Now have robotic arms coming out the sides. Now draw a radio for the head. Make weird shoes." :p Each of the items mentioned come in a gigantic variety, so there are tons of variations on a theme, so to speak.

Now that I think of it, it's kinda like a drawing version of Mad Libs. You only hear, and get to think about, small bits of info, then at the end, it's this completely crazy thing! :D

19. Magwheel

Magwheel boxed cat

excellent, but maybe a bit too soon. heh

GOB's got a great idea, but I dunno, I mean, look what nonsense I came up with months ago when he originally suggested it:

[​IMG]

And the version with alternative eye-protection is even sillier, I mean, lookit this: With wire mask. Sill-y.

Ok, so I'm just trying to selfishly push it back to March, because I'm busy right now. ;) But, if this is used for February, I could take a small break from my other art, becuase if any idea is gonna get me to finally participate, it will be something like this :D

In conclusion, I think it's a great idea, and I just wanted to say, "See, his idea works!"

EDIT: And yes, that thing with yellow on it, on his right sleeve, is a tire-pressure guage. :)

20. Pyro

Pyro Active Member

Well... since my birthday is in February, maybe everyone should do a Happy Birthday picture to me! :D

Just kidding! :sweat: I don't really have an idea. I might just take a break this month unless the theme really interests me. I'm not too sure I want to do a pic relating to the time of year. I think we should go with something new, like GOB's got a pretty good idea. Or maybe we could each draw a scene from a familiar legend or fairy tale and see everyone's take on it. I dunno. :shrug: