1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"iCarly" Seasons 1-4 Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Taco Wiz, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Taco Wiz

Taco Wiz The Loyal Order of Stupids

This show is a missed opportunity in so many ways. First off, Drake and Josh was awesome. Dan Schnieder should've done something like that. Plus, iCarly is the name of both a TV show and a tie-in webshow. Talk about confusing!

www.icarly.com

A TV show about the creators of a webshow could've been hilarious, resulting in many in-jokes aimed at the Encyclopedia Dramatica crowd, or to be more marketable, the mainstream YouTube/LOLCats crowd. The only relevant internet reference is how Fred is guest starring...eventually. An episode where Freddy [the character, not the guest star] is traumatized by Lemon Party could've been done. Wait, this is a family show. How about an episode where Sam rickrolls everyone in town? They'd get mad, and chase her out in an angry mob. Okay...that plot sucks, but you know what I'm getting at.

2. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

He did. It was called Kenan & Kel. ;)

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's better than Drake and Josh. I don't find that show very funny.

4. chdr

chdr Active Member

A show for the 4chan crowd would be epic fail.

Also, if Carly's webshow existed in real life, there is no way it would be so popular. That's one problem I have with the show, the fact that the whole webshow is just "Look at me!!! I'm doing random stuff!!!".

5. MegaJ

MegaJ Like a spring breeze.

One of the more tolerable tween shows of this day and age that I actually like. The dynamic between the three leads is interesting (particularly Sam and Carly, the two actresses have gotten better with comedic timing) and I like the fact that Carly's two friends cannot stand each other.

6. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty darn far outside the target demographic for iCarly, but I have to admit I've found it amusing on more than a few occasions. (Though I prefer Drake & Josh when it comes to recent Nick shows.) The pacing is fairly quick, and the humor, while not necessarily anything special, is pretty harmless. Spencer usually cracks me up, and Miranda Cosgrove is really pretty. I even find the theme song rather catchy. :)

7. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Using internet memes would be pointless. Very few people would get them or care, and most of those that would aren't in Nick's target demo (i.e. adults/college students). Despite what people on the net think, most people in real life have no idea or care about the various memes.

Or be flooded with "hot! Show us your ___!" comments like a lot of girls videos on YouTube have.

8. Taco Wiz

It does exist.
    www.icarly.com
    The green-screen bag pipes thing was hilariously random. Infact, iSpy a Mean Teacher was the only episode up to Drake and Josh standards.

9. chdr

chdr Active Member

I meant that if they weren't being paid by Nick and this was an actual standalone webcast, there's no way that tripe would be popular.

10. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

True, but they've had two moments that would result in over a million hits. One was when Spenser accidently caused a MAJOR traffic accident on the expressway. I mean, dude, if that happened in real life that would be all over the news and bring attention to the site. The other was tonight when they, again, accidently blew up the doorman.

But, anyway, what makes this show good has nothing to do with the webshow. It's the moments outside the webshow like when that little fat kids started dancing shirt-less on top of a restaurant table. lol.

11. chdr

chdr Active Member

I don't hate the show, but that popularity aspect always bothered me.

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While I do overall prefer Drake & Josh, I do admit that iCarly is a good show too. I like some of the humor from Carly herself and her brother. The three main stars have some good chemistry together, especially Carly and Sam. Freddy is pretty funny too, especially with his overprotective mom. I have found myself laughing inside and out at some of their misadventures and their webshow episode, like the one time they had to do it in detention. Overall, its a pretty fun show for me to watch.

13. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Fourteen Years!

I'm not going to be one of those people who hates on something just because it exists and I'm also 100% aware that I'm definitely not in iCarly's target demo. I'm also not going to wish the show away, or wish something would happen to the cast. I'm also aware that I watched an awful lot of garbage in my day. I can't watch Saved By the Bell nowadays without wondering what the heck I saw in the show.

But I still think kids can do better than iCarly. Some of the acting is atrocious, especially that goofy brother character, whatever his name actually is. Maranda Cosgrove is also an actress with the sort of Rachel Ray "I'm better than you" sort of face that just bugs me for some reason. Then again, I'm basing all of this on commercials I see for the show on the rare occasions I watch Nick. LOL

But it's easy to ignore. I just don't watch it. :p

14. George3000

George3000 Member

I love that show so much, more than I loved Hannah Montana and Wizards. The actors are just so funny, and even Jennette McCurdy actually has her own web show on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/mebejennette

15. Bloody Marquis

Bloody Marquis Quite smashing, eh?

The show's okay. Some of the jokes are a little funny. Spencer's my favorite character on it. But, Carly's just too perfect on the show. She's like a Mary Sue. And I get too much of a "morning talk show host" vibe from her. With those factors combined with Miranda Cosgrove's acting, I find Carly the dullest character on the show. Still, the rest of the characters are okay.

16. Taco Wiz

Agreed. Carly's such a bland character.

17. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

She was WAY better as Megan on Drake & Josh.

18. Taco Wiz

How did I forget to mention how much Megan rocked?

19. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

Man, most other people I know hate Megan and much prefer Carly.

I don't have a problem with either, myself.

20. MasterofRoku

MasterofRoku Active Member

Count me in as one of the people who dislikes Megan.
    Throughout the whole show, she has never gotten her comeuppance.