1. Enter for a chance to win "Digimon Adventure tri.: Reunion" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're giving away Twin Saga MMO Starter Packs! Get your free key here: Twin Saga Starter Pack Giveaway
  3. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

I Learned Something Today

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's weird that that's one of the episodes I remembered the most, not expecting that it would be one of the most remembered period.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

I learned that when Walt Disney won his special Oscar for Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, his speech ran at least 20 minutes, because he also took the opportunity to promote Pinocchio. Imagine a modern filmmaker spoiling his or her next picture at the Oscar podium...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

BBC America has been showing classic Tom Baker episodes of Doctor Who to coincide with the premiere of the recent season.

The other day I learned that John Cleese made a cameo appearance in one of them:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

[​IMG]

There's a new Peanuts book out that's a gallery of raw images -- original pieces of art, papers Schulz drew on, etc. Among the artifacts is a series of corresponding letters between Schulz and a black woman from Tennessee that resulted in the creation of Franklin.

In the 50th Anniversary book, Schulz said Franklin was simply created as another character, so apparently he forgot about this. The woman was wondering if a black character could be added, and Schulz's response was that since he wasn't black himself, he couldn't portray what it was like accurately, and he had no desire to put a different race in simply as a token, our of fear it would be condescending. Which is a valid concern. She wrote back that it didn't matter to her if the character was a token or not, the point was that black children should be able to see themselves in the Peanuts cast. Schulz was eventually convinced and Franklin was introduced two months later.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dsneybuf

I learned that Michael J. Fox might have already started contracting Parkinson's when filming the Back to the Future sequels: In Back to the Future: The Ultimate Visual History, he recalls that he couldn't put as much energy performing "Johnny B. Goode" for Part II as he did performing it for Part I, because of "that physical pressure" that he hadn't yet realized as a sign.

Annoyingly, three ads for King Games popped up before I could finish writing and sharing this post.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dsneybuf

I learned that the song Jessica Jones' alarm clock played in one of her show's teasers was sung by Maya Rudolph's mother.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Was it Lovin' You they used?

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

8. Dsneybuf

9. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

there was also a fairly recent episode of Arthur where they submitted a story to be turned into a little film or something, and it was won by a kid based on the real kid who submitted the premise for that episode. BWOOOONG

10. Dsneybuf

That episode aired in 1999 (hence why it had so many parodies of '90s cartoons, including Arthur itself).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Today I learned the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is a real organization. ......Do they experiment on rats?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Was schooling someone on One Saturday Moning cartoons and we ended looking at the Fillmore intro. I was trying my hardest to figure out where I knew the creator, Scott Gimple, from until seeing he was the EP on The Walking Dead.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Today I learned how expiration dates might not tell the exact time freshness last for foods.

• Like Like x 2
  14. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

I learned that Ivan Dudnysky from Roundhouse (one of my favorite Nickelodeon shows) is the director for Hollywood Game Night as well as Celebrity Name Game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I learned Kanye West is going to name his next album "Turbografx 16". This is bad news since the games are expected to increase in price, and they're already expensive! Stupid Kanye. Why not name it 3DO?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It would be cool to see Neo Geo get some recognition.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Kanye is known to change the names of his albums several times before release.

• Like Like x 1
  18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Air Commander

I learned Sega just straight up lost the source code to Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, and a bunch of other last wave Saturn titles which is why they have never rereleased any of these limited print games on other consoles or steam. This is a company that went head to head with Nintendo.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Lol. That's embarrassing. No type of port is possible?

20. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Air Commander

I wish. But if they could, they probably would've done it by now.