1. Episode 13 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-13/

We discuss The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, the Nintendo Switch, 20 years of Toonami, Toonami’s first era on Cartoon Network, the Adult Swim era, and what we’d like to see from Toonami in the future.

Dismiss Notice

I Learned Something Today

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember going to the bank with my mom in the 90s and they used to seem so amazing to me. I had no idea they were around that long.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

2. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

In 1978, not-yet North Korean leader Kim Jong-il kidnapped South Korean director Shin Sang-ok and his wife and made him direct propaganda fantasy films for the North Korean government. Kim was a huge fan of Godzilla and the kaiju genre, and one of the films he had him make was a 1985 giant monster movie called Pulgasari, based on a Korean folk legend about a creature who ate iron and steel and destroyed evil. They even brought in the special effects crew from Toho Studios, the makers of Godzilla, including the actor who was donning the famous rubber suit at the time (who in 1998 was quoted as saying that he prefered THIS movie to Roland Emmerich's Godzilla).

El Rey Network's running Godzilla movies all weekend and they flashed that factoid on screen. Made me think of the Book of Russel from Gorillaz's Instagram page.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. pacman000

pacman000 New Member

Charles Band remade that movie as a European fantasy. I'll see If I can't find the title.

5. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

The one with Sam Jackson?

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

6. pacman000

pacman000 New Member

Don't know about Sam Jackson. Sorry. :)

Pulgasari was remade as The Legend of Galgameth in 1996. Not sure if Charles Band was the producer tho. I should've checked that before posting. :)

7. Dsneybuf

I learned that in Disney's Hercules, the voice actors for Young Hercules' speaking (Josh Keaton) and singing (Roger Bart) voices have a 17-year age difference.
    I've also read before that Josh Keaton originally both spoke and sang for Young Herc, but after he failed to hold a long note, Disney brought in Roger Bart to re-record the songs.

8. Dsneybuf

I learned that while some of the people I follow on Twitter follow some of the other people I follow, none of them follow Batista. (I've also noticed a few others that they don't follow, but he seemed the most surprising.)

9. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

The DJ whose lips appear throughout the 1979 cult film The Warriors was played by Lynne Thigpen, who was also The Chief from the PBS game show Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?.

"All right, all you boppers, Carmen was last seen on a subway train headed for Coney Island. Go get her, gumshoes!"

10. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Just found out that if you place your mouse cursor over a thumbnail on youtube, you get a short GIF of the video itself.

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

12. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

that's a new feature they implemented. Unfortunately it will probably spoil the joke of many new SiIvaGunner videos if they have some sort of visual element.

I also learned that Disney didn't have a ban on marijuana in its parks until recently.