1. Episode 12 of the Toonzone Podcast is live! Listen to it here: http://www.toonzone.net/toonzone-podcast-episode-12/

We discuss the 2017 Best Animated Feature and Best Animated Short Oscar winners and nominees, what video games we're playing, what upcoming games we’re looking forward to, what’s different about the Nintendo Switch launch vs. the Wii or Wii U, why we loved the original Samurai Jack run and what we're looking forward to in the Season 5 premiere, which had not yet aired at the time of recording.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter for a chance to win "Adventure Time: Islands" on DVD! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

I Learned Something Today

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 27, 2012.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 The Joy and the Laughter

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

3. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

I learned that that Ringpop video with Aubrey Plaza was based on an actual Ringpop commercial. It was quite a surreal experience watching the parody first and then suddenly finding out that it was based on something. What's more, I spotted it during a recording of Roundhouse, which was "my show" for one 8-10 month period. I half expected the comments on the original to be filled with references to the Plaza parody.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd been on a Filmation/ Hanna-Barbera kick lately and I started wondering why only four of the seven segments from Filmation's Super 7 show made it to DVD, while the other three just seem to have been vaulted. This lead to me only recently learning that DC sued Filmation for copyright infringement over two of the segments, Manta & Moray and Superstretch & Microwoman. The other vaulted segment was Web Woman, which I read in the past, was part of the reason Marvel developed and rushed out their own Spider-Woman character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan_and_the_Super_7
    http://www.leagle.com/decision/1980...1.xml/DC COMICS, INC. v. FILMATION ASSOCIATES
    http://www.frosszelnick.com/dc-comics-inc-v-filmation-associates-inc

5. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

The Towering Inferno is an anagram of "not worth fire engine."

6. Dsneybuf

Wikipedia refers to Batista's father, Dave Bautista Sr., as, "a still active hairdresser in the DC area". A relevant Google search helped me find his Facebook page, although the website of the spa listed doesn't say whether or not he really does still work there. Additionally, a 2009 documentary I own about Batista, Batista: I Walk Alone, doesn't include any interviews with Dave Bautista Sr.

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Well, I didn't learn this today, but still quite recently :D
    Here in Belgium you always have to kiss 3 times on the cheeks. And Dutch speaking guys don't kiss other Dutch speaking guys. Apparatly it's a LOT more complicated in France.
    [​IMG]
    Apparantly Frenchmen take this super seriously :sweat: I never kiss my friends on the cheeks, only family members. My friends deserve a hug!

8. Dsneybuf

I learned that the guy who drew most of the comics I read in Boys' Life growing up passed away last December. The magazine already replaced him earlier that year, but I think the buildup to the style change sounds convoluted: In November 2014, Boys' Life started reprinting an old storyline of their flagship comic, The Wacky Adventures of Pedro. In January 2016, as opposed to showing how the storyline originally ended, Boys' Life had the new guy create a new, shorter conclusion. Shame, since it feels less epic than what I remember of the actual one.

EDIT: Found the original ending on Google Books, and now I'd like to admit only meaning "epic" in relative terms.

#248 Dsneybuf, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  9. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Always never quite right

#249 Kitschensyngk, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  10. Dsneybuf

I learned the other day that Adrian from the Rocky movies was played by Francis Ford Coppola's sister, Talia Shire (whom Coppola cast in the Godfather movies as Vito's daughter/Michael's sister Connie), and it just sunk in for me now that also makes her the aunt of Sofia Coppola and Nicholas Cage.