1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

I Learned Something Today

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 27, 2012.

1. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

2. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

3. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

I learned that that Ringpop video with Aubrey Plaza was based on an actual Ringpop commercial. It was quite a surreal experience watching the parody first and then suddenly finding out that it was based on something. What's more, I spotted it during a recording of Roundhouse, which was "my show" for one 8-10 month period. I half expected the comments on the original to be filled with references to the Plaza parody.

4. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd been on a Filmation/ Hanna-Barbera kick lately and I started wondering why only four of the seven segments from Filmation's Super 7 show made it to DVD, while the other three just seem to have been vaulted. This lead to me only recently learning that DC sued Filmation for copyright infringement over two of the segments, Manta & Moray and Superstretch & Microwoman. The other vaulted segment was Web Woman, which I read in the past, was part of the reason Marvel developed and rushed out their own Spider-Woman character.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarzan_and_the_Super_7
    http://www.leagle.com/decision/1980...1.xml/DC COMICS, INC. v. FILMATION ASSOCIATES
    http://www.frosszelnick.com/dc-comics-inc-v-filmation-associates-inc

5. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

The Towering Inferno is an anagram of "not worth fire engine."

6. Dsneybuf

Wikipedia refers to Batista's father, Dave Bautista Sr., as, "a still active hairdresser in the DC area". A relevant Google search helped me find his Facebook page, although the website of the spa listed doesn't say whether or not he really does still work there. Additionally, a 2009 documentary I own about Batista, Batista: I Walk Alone, doesn't include any interviews with Dave Bautista Sr.

7. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Well, I didn't learn this today, but still quite recently :D
    Here in Belgium you always have to kiss 3 times on the cheeks. And Dutch speaking guys don't kiss other Dutch speaking guys. Apparatly it's a LOT more complicated in France.
    [​IMG]
    Apparantly Frenchmen take this super seriously :sweat: I never kiss my friends on the cheeks, only family members. My friends deserve a hug!

8. Dsneybuf

I learned that the guy who drew most of the comics I read in Boys' Life growing up passed away last December. The magazine already replaced him earlier that year, but I think the buildup to the style change sounds convoluted: In November 2014, Boys' Life started reprinting an old storyline of their flagship comic, The Wacky Adventures of Pedro. In January 2016, as opposed to showing how the storyline originally ended, Boys' Life had the new guy create a new, shorter conclusion. Shame, since it feels less epic than what I remember of the actual one.

EDIT: Found the original ending on Google Books, and now I'd like to admit only meaning "epic" in relative terms.

#248 Dsneybuf, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  9. Kitschensyngk

Kitschensyngk Worse than one of those little blue crunchy things

#249 Kitschensyngk, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  10. Dsneybuf

I learned the other day that Adrian from the Rocky movies was played by Francis Ford Coppola's sister, Talia Shire (whom Coppola cast in the Godfather movies as Vito's daughter/Michael's sister Connie), and it just sunk in for me now that also makes her the aunt of Sofia Coppola and Nicholas Cage.

11. twilicorn

Thanks to the Blossom thread I learned that Ron Burgundy was based on a real person who worked at Detroit's NBC station, WDIV. Also I really need to watch Anchorman

12. Dsneybuf

I learned that Dick van Dyke and Fred Tatasciore both played the Man With the Yellow Hat's boss in the Curious George movies, which sounds jarring (although I haven't seen the sequels) because I normally associate Tatasciore with the Incredible Hulk.

13. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Today I learned when Gru stole the Sony Jumbotron, he was legally required to say "Sony" before "Jumbotron." Otherwise he couldn't say it at all. Sony is very protective of the "Jumbotron" name.

14. Dsneybuf

I learned that Kingdom Hearts (I've almost finished playing the first game on PS4) almost had a TV show, and that it would have recycled backgrounds from the movies that inspired the game.

15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Today I learned the reason Jane Seymour signed on to be Dr. Quinn was because she was "married to my business manager, who was the top business manager in the whole of Hollywood, and unbeknownst to me, he’d had addiction issues and squandered all our money and left me $9 million in the red, with lawsuits from every major bank. So my world crashed. And I found out that he’d been unbelievably unfaithful. He admitted to, I think, 14 or 15 other women, and I decided not to go any further. So I was pretty devastated, homeless, penniless, and with two small children, and I called my agent and said, “I need to work yesterday.” And he said, “What do you want to do?” And I said, “I’ll do anything.”"

16. twilicorn

I learned that Northern Calloway was suffering from these mental problems during his last few years on Sesame Street. They had to cut him off after he became infatuated with Alison Bartlett (Gina) to the point where he showed up at her school to propose to her. Cited in the Cracked article I got this from is Michael Davis' book Street Gang, which I have a copy of in hardcover but never read much (it's currently packed away).

17. Dsneybuf

I learned that Tokyo Disney sells sea salt ice cream (going through Kingdom Hearts II now), but not on a stick.

18. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

19. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I learned if you're having a tryst with someone, you put an e on the end of the word affaire (even though spellcheck doesn't like it.)

20. twilicorn

I learned that Looney Tunes accidentally turned the word "nimrod" into a synonym for "idiot". Bugs Bunny was comparing Elmer Fudd to the Biblical hunter Nimrod.

I also learned that people who play a lot of video games are more likely to have lucid dreams.

• Like Like x 1