1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

I Learned Something Today

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

AHA!

2. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

I learned that Tunak Tunak Fun was made in response to complaints that the singer's previous videos were only popular because they had beautiful women. So he made a video with only copies of himself greenscreened in and the result became more popular than any of his other videos.

3. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Is it true that the USA doesn't have nudist beaches? If so, then I learned something today.

(But where do American nudists go to when they want to swim? :eek:)

4. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

No. Some of my siblings and I accidentally walked into one once, but I forget where.

5. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Freelance Photographer

Sometimes Spain and Portugal are collectively referred to as Iberia. I knew they were both on the Iberian Peninsula, but I didn't know that the region was classified that way.

6. twilicorn

I learned that the "Heart Shaped Box" Nirvana was singing about was actually a... certain body part of Courtney Love's.

7. Dsneybuf

I learned that in Japan, the short that opened Pokemon 3: The Movie, Pikachu and Pichu, fell out of circulation after the narrator became arrested for drug possession.

8. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Today I learned there's a hidden marriage proposal (or at least a declaration of love) in Bart Simpson's Escape from Camp Deadly for the Game Boy. If you have the debug mode on, you can scroll past the end of the first level and you'll eventually see messages written by the programmer (Mark) to his wife (Maria).

https://tcrf.net/Bart_Simpson's_Escape_from_Camp_Deadly

9. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I learned that if your phone stops working, you can hold down the power button + volume down for 15 - 20 seconds, and it will work again.

10. Dsneybuf

I learned that old Kodak color photos exaggerate the darkness of non-Caucasian people because the film didn't have chemicals to properly capture darker tones, and the developers used pictures of white women ("Shirley cards") as reference for color balance. Apparently, Kodak eventually received complaints from furniture producers and chocolate makers that their pictures didn't accurately distinguish the different shades of their products, so Kodak put out both a new kind of film, and Shirley cards with women of different races.

11. twilicorn

I learned that "take an arrow to the knee" is an old Nordic term for getting married.

12. Dsneybuf

I learned that iTunes has gone from selling the Star Wars Trilogy soundtracks in their Special Editions, to selling digital versions of the original LPs alongside them, to only selling the digital versions of the original LPs - causing much complaint about iTunes no longer carrying the complete movie scores, and confusingly renaming some of the cues they kept.

13. twilicorn

I learned that Steven Page (frontman of Barenaked Ladies) is the second cousin of Snow (basically our answer to Vanilla Ice). Both of their most well-known songs ("One Week" and "Informer" respectively) similar to each other, which is another thing that needed to be noted here.

14. Dsneybuf

I learned that Peter and at least some issues of BANG! Magazine have their own pages on the Comic Book Database, if that sounds special at all.

Also, Happy Meal toys now have a gimmick, where you can scan them with a smartphone, and unlock a mobile game.

#234 Dsneybuf, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  15. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Really? Cool. That's nice to see.
    You know, I've been waiting for years for the Grand Comics Database to have anything listed on BANG, but nothing still.

16. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Today I learned Square One TV was originally going to be called "That's Mathematics!" and Tom Lehrer was hired to come up with the theme song. He did so, but then the name was changed. Here he is performing the theme he came up with.

17. Dsneybuf

I learned last night that one of Sony's Real Ghostbusters DVDs uses a copy of "Slimer, Is That You?" that replaced Lorenzo Music and Laura Summer with Dave Coulier and Kath Soucie.

18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Freelance Photographer

I learned that the authors of The Berenstain Bears series are hardcore conservative Christians:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. twilicorn

From what I heard, the books only became like that when Stan Berenstain died in 2005 and they let their son Mike take over. To quote Cracked, "Mike had gotten a lot of feedback that Christian families loved the Bears' values-based message, and wanted him to slide on down that slippery slope. So he did. And he never looked back. The great majority of the books published since 2008 are explicitly God-themed."

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dsneybuf

I learned that early commercials for the Dairy Queen Blizzard used the tagline, "So thick, you gotta spoon it up!" because the Blizzards replaced a line of thick milkshakes.