1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

I Learned Something Today

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, Jun 27, 2012.

1. twilicorn

twilicorn HER AIM IS GETTING BETTER

Actually, I kind of do, but I was too lazy to put one in then.

2. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

[ SPOILER ] This is how you do it (except without the spaces). [ / SPOILER ]

3. Dsneybuf

Dsneybuf Well-Known Member

@Greg91 I know how to add spoiler tags (I even added some while quoting twilicorn's post), but didn't know if twilicorn did.

4. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

@Dsneybuf Ah... Okay. Disregard my comment then (unless someone else didn't know how to do it and can use the info).

5. twilicorn

Getting the thread back on track:

I learned that Wes Anderson insisted on making 30 copies each of EVERY paper object - even the ones that never made it into the film - in The Grand Budapest Hotel. He even had three newspapers made with actual articles even though the audience wouldn't see them. Also every single one of the paper items (except for the typed newspapers) were made by hand.

Then again, Wes Anderson is known for these insane details. The Darjeeling Limited was mainly filmed on an actual moving train. They also made a mirror version of the train cabin for afternoon shoots so they could make it look like the train was still moving in the same direction.

6. Dsneybuf

(Now with a video!)
    I learned that after The Cricket on the Hearth, Marlo Thomas voiced one other Rankin/Bass special: That Girl in Wonderland.

If they didn't intend this as a parody (I can imagine Saturday TV Funhouse doing this, if it existed back then), then I'd feel pretty surprised.

7. twilicorn

I learned that Scooby Doo was originally pitched as a straight mystery show about five teens and a dog, and was called "Who's Scared?" It was rejected because they thought it was too scary for kids (mind you, this was the late 60's). Then it was retooled to focus slightly more on the dog (who was refitted after Bob Hope's cowardly film persona) and the rest is history.

8. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

I learned that Nerf darts can be bought separately from the guns and that the caliber of dart can vary dramatically.

9. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

What I heard was that the title of the show was originally "Too Much," since it was supposedly hip slang, and it was the original name of the dog. In the final version the human characters are based on the teens from Dobie Gillis; the hippie Shaggy was inspired by the beatnik Manyard G. Krebs.

10. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Today I learned everyone in Bulma's family is named after undergarments. Turns out "Bulma" is based on the Japanese word "Buruma," or bloomers, and then there's Trunks and Dr. Briefs. And in Dragon Ball Super, she's supposed to have a daughter named Bra.

11. Dsneybuf

I didn't learn all of this in one day, but it sunk in for me recently that the apparent trifecta of classic 1960s Christmas specials, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas, by now has become divided equally among CBS, ABC, and NBC.
    Someone on TV Tropes rose the possibility of Rudolph returning to NBC in a few years; I personally like the thought of them undoing CBS' edits (they've already undone the trims ABC made to The Grinch), but also wonder if having 2/3 of the trifecta and It's a Wonderful Life would give them too unfair an advantage during Christmastime.

12. twilicorn

apparently CBS still has Frosty which is sort of the fourth ranger of the classic special trio so even if they lose the rights to Rudolph they'll still have another classic Christmas special to run.

Also, this just came to me, but wouldn't it be funny if NBC dug out those interviews from that one 1994 airing of the Grinch and had somebody from SNL or something host it?

13. Dsneybuf

Jimmy Fallon sounds like NBC's likeliest choice, although I don't like him as much as I do Phil Hartman.

14. Peter Paltridge

Staff Member Moderator

Turns out Roger Rabbit had a lot more altered for home video than Jessica's cooch. There's a part where you see a bathroom stall and "Call Alison Wonderland" is written on it....in the theaters, there was a phone number there, and not a 555. I don't know whose it was.

Also, when Betty Boop was adjusting her dress, she originally flashed the camera for a couple frames. (NSFW, obviously)

15. Dsneybuf

Additionally, the part where Baby Herman flips a lady's skirt, and walks through her legs, apparently used to have him point at the lady's "cooch" with his middle finger.

16. twilicorn

it was all of us.

17. twilicorn

Apparently at the Grammys the artists themselves and not the labels/producers/etc are in charge of sending the For Your Consideration discs to the Recording Academy. Beyonce tried - and failed - to get a song on her new album nominated for Best Country Song. (She did get a Best Rock Song nom, though, with a Jack White collab.)

18. Dsneybuf

I learned that Lucille Ball's old hometown has two bronze statues of her, the first of which only remains standing because of how infamously it failed to capture Lucy's appearance.

19. twilicorn

Today I learned that Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree, a special reviewed during the early days of the Misfit Specials, was based on an old picture book.
    http://www.toughpigs.com/willowby-book/

20. Dsneybuf

I learned that when Josh Keaton portrayed the love interest in The Even Stevens Movie, he had to have the lei taped to his chest, or else he would have broken some limit of how many tattoos a person can show off on Disney Channel.