1. View our list of the Top 10 Characters That Need a DC Animated Film. Click here.
    Dismiss Notice

I just watched Animaniacs and I have questions and stuff

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Ando, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Ando

Ando New Member

Hey, sorry for the wall of text ahead. I just watched Animaniacs for the first time recently and I would like to share my opinions with you and hear what you think about it.

I'm 24 and am relatively interested in cartoon drawing and animation, and as weird as it sounds, I've never watched Animaniacs before. I knew it existed but I could never stand the Warner Brothers mini-show, and since I barely watched TV and the show tried so hard to make those an icon spamming them with most of the episodes and cameos I just lost interest fast as a kid.

However, youtube recommended me some Rita and Runt videos the other day (no idea what this was until that moment) and I loved the songs and the characters. This made me consider watching Animaniacs, which I did, but I still disliked most of it, except for Rita and Runt and Slappy Squirrel, so I pretty much skipped everything except those two shows.

The thing is that after watching "Rita and Runt" and "Slappy Squirrel" I feel highly impressed and disappointed now, because this is a kind of humour I never see in any show of today, and the animation and drawing was incredibly better too. For instance I really enjoy "Rick and Morty" but the animation and drawing is so damn lame compared to the 90's warner animation (and even older animation). Same goes for any famous show of today such as "Adventure Time", "The Simpsons" (compared to the older seasons which were also objectively better), "Steven Universe", "Gravity Falls", "MLP:FiM", etc

Some of those have better animation than others, but none of those are even close to the animation and drawing details I see in Animaniacs. Yes, the quality is better now, and they have more technological elements to apply for more tricks, which is good, but it feels like they stopped using everything else. It's like the fashion of today's cartoons is to not even have a visual style.

I know this sounds super hipster but I can't help it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to mention that all the innuendos and similar humor these shows had are impossible to come true today. Today's animations feel closer to 80's cartoons than 90's, where everything was so ridiculously cheesy and censored, but animated and drawn like hell too.

Am I going crazy? Because I really don't get it.
    As I was watching "Slappy Squirrel" and "Rita and Runt" I was wondering how much animation improved from then to nowdays, but It haven't improved as much as I would imagine, in fact, it looks like it got worse.

Maybe 3D (model) movies have affected 2D animation in some indirect way? I wouldn't know.

And other disappointment was that I didn't see any newer Warner animation similar to this. Is there any more modern Warner 2D animation with this same style? I think Animaniacs is probably the last thing they did, if not something else from the same years.
    To be honest I think "Slappy Squirrel" is the most underrated show amongst all the ones I ever enjoyed. "Rita and Runt" had potential too, but since it was a more "feely" show I guess it would have needed more time for a proper developement, this being the reason it got very few episodes that felt mostly like an excuse for songs, but I still really liked the idea of that mini show, and the songs are actually good too.
    I am legit surprised at how they didn't do anything else with "Slappy Squirrel". Maybe it's just me but I think it was great and that it deserved a lot more. The only 20 minutes episode it got was great and surprisingly deep for that super sarcastic show. It really had a lot of potential for more.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR Version: I just watched Animaniacs and damn it looked good and was very well drawn although I only really enjoyed Slappy Squirrel and Rita and Runt and think they are great and underrated shows and the animation and drawing of today shows are lame compared to these and other 90's shows.

Do you agree or disagree?

I would also want to know what's your favorite show from Animaniacs and why.

• Like Like x 1
    #1 Ando, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  2. Yum

Yum Member

My favorite characters? Hands down, the Warner trio, Yakko Wakko and Dot. I can't help it, they drew me in as a toddler with their 1930s Disney/Iwerks/Fleisher style. Their character designs were fresh but in a retro way; no other show from WB or any other network has ever had its main cartoon stars designed in that vein even today. Mickey Mouse 2013 are just flukes. Their bright pastel-colored clothes contrasting against their mostly black and white bodies, add a killer theme song and deadly character animation and BAM! Instant appeal! The red noses they have are also a reference to a character created from that era, he was a rabbit, but not Oswald...

I also can't help but agree with your sentiments on the state of mainstream animation nowadays; as it is an expensive and labor intensive process, corners must be cut in order to maintain budgets. That's why shows like Steven Universe, SVTFOE, GF, Clarence, AT all use the same character asthetics you see nowadays. Milo Murphy and Loud House managed to be flukes. For setting the standard for 2010s style, it worked great...to a fault.

Can't you smell the focus tested cynicism?

Back to Animaniacs, their design was necessary for them to stand out from the rest; they were from the 1930s, which explains their offbeat personalities. If it weren't for those three characters, children would have never known aide from Mickey Mouse that there was once an era where all cartoons were black and white. They're reminders of what came before, a bygone era, which adds to the audience's sense of nostalgia, even without watching the show. Let's face it, if not for those three characters, you would have never known Animaniacs even existed. They're that powerful. They stood out. Like a SORE THUMB.

But just because they're the mains doesn't mean that they're IMMUNE TO EVERYTHING.

I too, wish for a day when the golden age style would return to mainstream again. The only piece worth a damn is this:

Obviously done by Soike Brandt. But in a finacially/creatively strapped time like this, another 'golden age' seems unlikely. Nobody knows or cares to draw in the 1940s style anymore, that style doesn't cater to the 2010s sensibilities, Spielberg won't release the rights to Animaniacs so more episodes can be made, and it's gotten to the point where not many people know who the Looney Tunes are anymore:

Let's face it. TTG and PPG are the safest way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yum

Yum Member

No one around has the patience to cultivate those 1940s principles anymore in mainstream. It would be too expensive, and kids wouldn't be able to understand it. Rather than expose them to anything out of their time, why not pander to their generation with the latest technology and trends? It's working for TTG, whyever not?

4. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I find the Animaniacs very 90s and not at all 30s. I love the Looney Tunes and the Walt Disney shorts but I never got into any Warner Bros show from the 90s except DCAU.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ando

Ando New Member

I don't think they are bad characters at all. The whole show is great, but I just don't think the Warner Brothers mini show is the best of all of Animaniacs. I don't think any of the Animaniac's Minishows are bad, but I personally like Slappy the most. I think it had the most unpredictable humor of all of them, and the main character being an old retired actress living with her nephew makes it very unique and perfect for this kind of comedy. I enjoy the Warner Brothers but their humor just gets very predictable at least to me.
    I'm not saying all of Slappy was gold either tbh, some of its episodes were very regular or not precissely good imo. If Slappy had more episodes or its own dedicated show it would almost definitely be my favorite comedy show, and thinking Pinky and the Brain got its own shown instead of Slappy disappoints me a lot tbh.

Ofc Animaniacs is very 90s like, but he means it imitates and parodizes a lot of 30s and 40s cartoons, it uses a lot of those elements that many other shows stopped using ages ago, like the dinamite thing in everything.

#5 Ando, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017