I don't want electronics stores to die

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Peter Paltridge, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/best-buy-ceo-brian-dunn-resigns-company-going-151536950.html
    Ignore some of the stupider things he says; it's an opinion piece, but it contains a bit of news at the top.

Given that Best Buy has the monopoly in big-box electronics now, I would think their business would be doing better, but it's worse. They're still losing money, only this time it's to supermarkets and websites.

Here's the thing. Saving money by buying online is nice, but losing the ability to look at something before you can buy it would be insane....and sometimes, I want my product now, not in five days. I don't buy things like DVD players from Wal-Mart anymore because all the machines I HAVE bought from them have broken prematurely (we're talking within a week). I like the idea of a big store dedicated to gadgets, that due to its space can stock things Target or Costco can't. What it adds up to is, BEST BUY CANNOT BE ALLOWED TO DIE no matter how bad their service gets.

I demand a government bailout!

2. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

I quit going to Best Buy because they act like you know nothing when you try to buy a computer. The fact that they wouldn't let me take the damn thing home and set it up myself drove the nail into the coffin.

I too wish physical stores would remain, but they need overhauls for that to happen.

3. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

I gave up on them when I realized it was just easier to wait (or in an emergency, get something at the local Target to return later) and order from Amazon (with their Prime service, items come in 2 days or you can pay $3.99 to have them sent overnight). Best buy isn't even worth my time as a showroom for items. You can find more than enough reviews and details online for a product nowadays where it's not that big a deal.

In the really rare occurrence I'd need to get a big-ticket item from Best Buy, I'd just order online for in-store pickup the same day because I hate the wait and hassle their salespeople throw at you with upsell and general slowness. It's great to just pay ahead and show up to pick up the item with no spiel or nonsense to worry about.

4. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

Wow! My last computer before my current one I bought at Best Buy and had no problems. I basically just told them what I wanted it for (plenty of space for video editing), and they made some recommendations. Bought it and took it straight home, no hassles. It's funny, I've heard from a few people who say they didn't like BB because of customer service, but I've never had a problem with them and always found them helpful and courteous.

My only problem with Best Buy is the DVD selection is just a joke nowadays. They used to have tons of titles that I could easily browse for the better part of an hour. Nowadays I walk up and down the DVD aisles looking, and I'm done in less than ten minutes. It's a shame, because as WalMart and Target started sucking for DVD selections, and great places like Suncoast started closing, Best Buy was like my last bastion for finding newer and especially older titles.

I always prefer buying in-store, though. I order from Amazon only when I can't find something, but otherwise I enjoy the browsing and discoveries you make while looking for stuff.

5. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

Same here. My only real bad experience with Best Buy was when this happened. I don't know what happened with that particular associate, but ever since 2008, I've been going back to the store with nobody hassling me.

Though there was also this one time where an associate at another store gave me misinformation about returning an item, and then it turned out I couldn't return it anymore. They expect people to read the fine print about returns and what not, but the associates themselves should also know what they're talking about.

6. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

Funny, I've found them to be most uninformed! XD I generally know exactly what I want, so when a sales person comes over (usually a guy, thinking I don't know anything 'cause I'm a girl and all), I like to rattle off a bunch of technical jargon and watch their brain EXPLODE.

It's AWESOME.

For that alone, I hope Best Buy doesn't die. XD

Although I rarely buy stuff there anymore. And when I do, it's usually a buy online, pick up in store type thing because it is very handy. NewEgg usually has the best deals on more oddball stuff, and Fry's over in Wilsonville is just awesome (also their salespeople know what they're talking about, so they're actually helpful).

7. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

Oh, don't get me wrong, they know nothing themselves. They just treated me like I was lower than them. They tried to get me to buy all this antivirus stuff I don't need, they wanted me to sign up for ridiculous "tune up" services which I happen to do on my own every day, etc.

8. Wounded_Dragon

Wounded_Dragon Active Member

When they moved into the local building that used to be occupied by Circuit City I thought it was only a matter of time. Took longer than I thought. The transition from DVD to Blu-ray has really curtailed my browsing ability at Best Buy. DVDs are still stocked by category, Blu-ray are two whole alphabetical aisles.

9. Bryangst

Bryangst JERK

I couldn't agree with this more. The last PC I bought from that location I picked out three different machines. The first was what I actually decided on, the second was slightly less powerful, and the third considerably less. Without informing the associate which one I decided to buy, I stood in front of the second choice and had him tell me about the machine. After our discussion he actually recommended to me the machine I decide to purchase. I told him that I was actually planning on purchasing that same machine and tanked him for his help.

I like associates that help me to actually be knowledgeable in what they are trying to sell. The guys that just try to make the sale always drives me away. Best Buy has hardly ever proven to me that they can either be helpful or knowledgeable.

10. Sparticus

Sparticus Should be drawing right now...

Ah, I was helping a friend buy a new computer once and they tried that. It was pretty funny 'cause said friend brought me along SPECIFICALLY because I know computers. The sales dude kept trying to talk to my friend about stuff (and doing the whole thing will guys will have "guy talk" which they think is somehow over a girls head...), but I kept replying, and providing enough information to indicate that I knew WAY more than the sales person did. By the end of the shopping trip, the sales dude was uber uncomfortable, my friend had a good solid computer, and I was terribly amused with myself. :evil:

Why doesn't Toonzone have a trollface smiley? THIS REQUIRES A TROLLFACE SMILEY FOR EPIC IRL TROLLIIIIINNNG!!!!! XD

11. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

If your info is correct and you live where I do, try the one on 82nd Ave, then. I bought my last computer from them and they were very helpful in getting me what I needed. I was never shilled a bunch of unnecessary extra programs or strongarmed into paying for Geek Squad to help plug it into my wall. Nothing people here are complaining about has happened to me because that's pretty much the only Best Buy I've bought things from.

12. Bryangst

Bryangst JERK

The 82nd Best Buy is actually the only one I can tolerate walking into these days. While I don make it out there too often these days, their customer service is far, far greater than that of the Gresham, Cedar Hills, or airport Best Buys. It also helps that most of the time I have gone in on a mission and haven't required any assistance. I don't really even recall ever being asked about receiving help from the Geek Squad, thank god.

There are definitely exceptions, and that location has proven that competent employees can exist at Best Buy.

13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

I don't think that I've had a problem with my local Best Buy stores. The people there are usually pretty nice and helpful. It's a bit more annoying during the holiday seasons given how crowded it is and the long lines. As much as I do prefer to buy stuff in stores, I'm finding myself ordering online much more often nowadays. The DVD selection at Best Buy has been pretty bad for awhile and I don't buy computer stuff. Target tends to have some Pokemon DVDs more often, but I usually don't go there unless I'm buying gifts for someone else. I do miss getting what I want to buy right away, but I usually don't mind waiting awhile longer.

14. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

I still shop at Best Buy (outside of online, it's the only place I can pick up the latest MST3K sets), though not as much as I used to. I stopped going there for anime around the time they gutted that section, and I can get better prices on Right Stuf anyway.

A few things bug me about BB, though:
    -Loud music. It's not conducive to stay in the store for a long time if people are trying out the subwoofers and bass equipment in the stereo section.

-Re-arranging the shelves. I know all stores do this to a certain extent, but it feels like BB does this dramatically, to the point where I walked in the other day and was totally lost. That should never be the case.

-As Wounded Dragon said, the Blu-ray section's arranging is totally different from the DVD section. That's confusing. And as Michael24 said, I don't like how BB's movie selection in general has gotten weaker. Some of those older titles are no longer stocked, forcing me to go online to find them.

-Speaking of DVDs, I don't like how there are little standalone displays apart from the main DVD/BD section. That's the kind of thing I associate with Wal-Mart, and seems tacky to me. I know it's designed to keep the customer in the store longer if they're being stopped by more shelves, but I don't -want- to be in a store longer than I have to. I want to be able to walk right to the section I want, pick up the DVD I want, maybe browse a little if I have time, and leave. Basically, this is an issue of customer convenience vs. company profits.

-Another DVD gripe... those bargain bins where you have to root through them like a dog digging through the garbage. I hate those.

-The salesmen. Y'know, the people that ask you about your cable service. Truthfully, I've only been approached a couple times in my travels there, but that's still too much.

-I've had bad experiences with clerks who don't know how to scan redeemable gift cards. One time, I was buying two of equal value and instead of scanning both cards, they simply scanned one and doubled up the price on the screen. You have to activate both cards for both to work! Doy! Now granted, uninformed employees aren't exclusive to Best Buy, but it doesn't help that such a thing has only happened to me at Best Buy.

...It's the little things that add up. I wouldn't want BB to go away entirely, because they can be convenient, but they really need to re-focus. Hopefully these smaller stores will help them do that.

15. macattack

macattack I see you!

Speaking as someone who works at one of these types of stores (not Best Buy, I work at a different store), we are instructed to assume the customer wants our help and services when it comes to computers and other machinery. We don't know if the customer is a techie or not..

16. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

17. stephane dumas

stephane dumas Active Member

Could be possible then another electronic chain could replace Best Buy?

And a bit off-topic, anyone who remember Radio-Shack? I spotted a vintage Radio-Shack commercial.
    [video=youtube;694TX2lQ7Uo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=694TX2lQ7Uo[/video]

18. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    Smaller stores + more people going to online venues where it's cheaper = better business opportunities in my book!

Chains like Best Buy aren't doing it for a lot of people anymore, judging by the comments aimed at them. Also, as someone ashamed to shop there, knowing I've gotten better prices online or a wholesale store (Costco, for example - I miss Circuit City so badly, BTW.) yeah.

With all due honesty, this is just one more monopoly, which Best Buy is, that has overstayed its welcome on the top, and is in dire need of some strong and honest competition... Or better yet, a big DE-throning!

19. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

I know. It's just that I made it clear to the guy that I knew what I was doing, only he didn't listen.

20. Bryangst

Bryangst JERK

I do understand the point about the different shelves with DVDs, but somewhere like Best Buy I ususally only see those being used if it is for new movies or games. Occasionally I will see a shelf with random movies or tv season sets. Usually those are titles being featured in their ads though, making it more convenient too grab and go.

As far as the bargain bins that you have to dig through, I agree. DVDs should be treated as fragile electronics, not something that can just be tossed around or dug through.

I see comments about Best Buy being a monopoly, and I disagree. Frys does exist. It is smaller, but it's there. Best Buy relies on Frys being around to prevent them from being a monopoly.