I don't really hang out with my friends, is that normal?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by The Avatar, Apr 11, 2009.

1. The Avatar

The Avatar Not a member of the Fourm.

OK, here's the deal. I have plenty of friends at school. It's not like I'm anti-social or anything. But outside of school, I don't really get together with any people. I go to parties and stuff like that, but not just hanging out with someone. I haven't actually gone out with anyone in awhile, since no one's really thrown any parties or anything. It's not like I have no friends, I just don't really see them that much outside of school. I don't know what is it. Is this normal?

2. The Cartoon

The Cartoon Moderator

I do the same thing, but I don't really give it a second thought. I'm just not the kind of guy who likes to go out and I've never been big on parties. I think it's perfectly normal.

3. Mini Garbonzo

Mini Garbonzo Do you like my eyes?!?!

Same here. Most of the time I like to keep the social part of my life at school, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

4. Nel_Annette

Nel_Annette Go green!

I'm like that. I have tons of friends from high school and college, but I'm rarely out and about with them on a normal basis. I kind of had an inferiority complex where I felt like I'd be forcing myself into their schedules if I asked if they wanted to hang out or something.

I've been trying to change that this year though. And it's far more fun to be out with them instead of wasting away in front of a screen all day.

5. En Sabah Nur

En Sabah Nur Apocalypse, The First One

Its fine if you want to be left alone, and not hang out with anybody, but it does get kind of lonely to be by yourself all the time. So if it suits you just fine, there is nothing wrong.

But it seems as though you not asking if its normal but how to change that. In school its easy, they are there, in your class. So you talk to them. But outside of school you are not with anyone, and it can get lonely. So how to make that person a friend from an acquaintance? Talk to a person who you would like to be friends with about upcoming movies, see if your interests are similar, if they are, talk about a particular movie you both want to go and see and just go to the movies. And before you know it, you will have a friend outside of school as well.

6. Wind-Dive

Wind-Dive Master Wizard

I believe it's fine and normal. I do to have alot of friends at my middle school and I consider myself a loner. Even though I talk to some of my friends I'm just a lonely person trying to find out who he is and why he's here. I sometimes consider myself to be worthless in this world. But I always make it through. In class I always do my work and never usually talk, and sometimes I always get picked at but I ignore them and move on. Also, I have no social life outside of school either, that doesn't mean it's not normal. So don't freak yourself out just because you don't talk to your friends outside of school.

7. Michael24

Michael24 Moderator

It seems unusual to me, but that's probably because I was the opposite. When I was in school, I sort of had two sets of friends: those that I saw everyday but never spent time with off campus, and those I saw everyday and continued to see off campus. I was never much of a party goer, but often after school (especially on Fridays and the weekends) I'd get together with various friends, going to the movies, doing stuff around town, or just hanging out at each other's place doing whatever (playing video games, listening to music, talking, etc.). I really valued those friendships. I was able to bond with people over shared interests and it was just fun to be able to spend time among people like me, giving us something to do. :)

But like En Sabah Nur said, if it suits you I guess there's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
  8. moonmaster

moonmaster EVERY VILLAIN IS LEMONS

I'm exactly the same.
    I have a few friends at school, but I don't really hang out with them after school.

9. Mesousa

Mesousa Biggest Hinata Azuma fanboy

Same thing goes for me too, I'm really just the kind of guy that just wants to go home early, not just to rest, but to study a bit.

10. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

When I was in high school I had some friends, but I never did anything with them because nobody ever invited me to do anything. The ones that did always ended up getting me in trouble. :shrug: So at least you're at home playing on the internet instead of getting in trouble. I wouldn't worry about it.

11. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

I'm the same! It's not that I don't enjoy my friends or anything, it's just that I always get so tired from school and working on homework that I just kind of want time to be alone. =P Of course I do enjoy my friends at school though as being alone just would not be very fun.

12. Master Moron

Master Moron New Member

Are you in high school or college?

13. FireWarrior

FireWarrior The Ultimate Warrior

Nothing wrong with it. Some people are gregarious. Others are not. Obviously you are a person who does not have to be constantly in the company of others to be happy and that is perfectly fine. I'm like that to an extent. I do enjoy hanging with friends and going out as being social is very good for the soul:) but I also required a "recharge" per se and need a lot of time to myself so I don't go nuts.

So nothing wrong with you at all.

14. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

I don't find that to be weird at all. In fact, I'm pretty much the same way, although I'm no longer in school. When I was in school, I had a small group of buddies whom I hung out with, so I wasn't friendless, and we would sometimes go out to the movies or to the mall or whatever, but for the most part, I didn't associate much with anyone from school outside of school. Usually, afterwards I would just go home and watch TV and draw or write. I never liked having lots of people around me, and I still don't to this day. I do go to parties and get togethers from time to time, but overall, I'm not that big on socializing. Never was.

15. The Avatar

The Avatar Not a member of the Fourm.

I'm in high school.

16. Lazerboy5000

Lazerboy5000 Catch 'ya Later!

In high school, I had a few friends that I talked to at school, but there was only a couple of them that I actually hung out with on the weekends and stuff.

But in college, the swim team is really a second family to me (or that's what we like to call it). We hang out all the time in college. Like, we eat meals together, and we go to parties together (even though I'm not a big party guy), and we just always see each other.

So It does make a difference if you're in high school or college. And since you're in high school, I wouldn't make a big deal about it. I rarely hung out with anyone outside of school in high school.

17. Ishtar

Ishtar Active Member

I'm the same way. I'm at college and I have plenty of friends, but we only get together once or twice a week usually. I definitely like to have time to myself, but it's also because I'm busy with schoolwork and stuff.

18. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

I have been like that my entire life, so you aren't alone.

19. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I mean I would say it's a problem if someone is alone, I mean completely alone cut off from society 24/7. Then I'd say that person has a problem. But I only see my friends for a few hours on either a Friday or Saturday night. After an 8-10 hour day at work, I just want to go home and crash. I do kind of miss seeing my friends all the time like I did in high school. But, I guess that's just what happens when you grow up.

20. Master Moron

Master Moron New Member

In high school I think a lot of people are like that. In college it should be different, though. At least, it should be if you live on campus.