"Hunter X Hunter" Series Talkback

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by GWOtaku, Oct 1, 2011.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

[​IMG]

Based on the long-running Weekly Shonen Jump manga by Togashi Yoshihiro (Yu Yu Hakusho, Level E), new episodes of Hunter X Hunter will be premiering on Crunchyroll Saturday nights at 11:30 PM. Eastern Time for viewers in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. New episodes will stream for subscribers and become free for everyone after a week.

Animated by studio Madhouse, this series is a complete reboot that will tell the story from the very beginning. Crunchyroll's page for the series is below:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/hunter-x-hunter

Series Description:
    This thread is for all discussion regarding the new Hunter X Hunter series and any news related to it. In order to ensure that this thread is equally welcoming to committed fans and first-time viewers, normal spoiler rules are in effect; please contain talk regarding future events and manga spoilers within a spoiler tag. Discussion focused on the manga should go in the current discussion thread.

Enjoy watching & talking about the show!

2. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Starting a talkback 5 hours before the show starts is usually frowned upon, but oh well. I personally am looking forward to it. I loved the original Hunter x Hunter, and I have to say I actually preferred the costume design of the original over what has been shown so far in pictures, but I'm also interested in seeing how the story is told a bit different since they've said they'll start from the beginning instead of where the OVA's ended at.

It also gives me a 2-hour block of Shonen Jump I'll be watching Saturday nights.

My schedule:
    9:30- Naruto Shippuden (Thursday's episode)
    10 PM- One Piece (delayed by an hour from simulcast so I don't have to worry about as much buffering)
    10:30- Hunter x Hunter (a much catch same hour simulcast since I'm usually up past midnight as it is)
    11 PM- Bleach (Tuesday's episode)
    11:30- Fairy Tail (Friday's episode)

3. Divinenega

Divinenega New Member

Fairy Tail isn't a Shonen Jump title. It runs in Weekly Shonen Magazine which is owned by Kodansha.

4. bigddan11

I am aware of that. However, if you look at the 2-hours I have before that, they are all Shonen Jump shows. Furthermore, while Fairy Tail isn't a Shonen Jump title, it is classified as a Shonen anime.

5. ensatsu-ken

ensatsu-ken "Come and get it!"

Well, tonight's the premiere (which is technically Sunday morning in Japan). To be honest, I'll be most interested to see how this new anime differes from the original rather than the aspects that are kept the same. Either way, though, I hope its a good adaptation that will successfully draw more fans into the series.

6. RockmanDash

RockmanDash Retired

Since...when?:p There has been countless talkbacks made much earlier than the aired date and they were fine with everybody else. If it's posted like two weeks before then of course, heck depending on the show early discussion is completely fine. Not to mention talkbacks are usually made the night before and etc, so it's nowhere near frowned upon.

On topic: I really, really can't wait to watch this. I've only heard such great things about this anime and it looks like the perfect time to finally get into it.

7. ensatsu-ken

Be weary that the beginning of the series is a tad bit slow for most people. Nothing will instantly come off as being all that great, but its the type of series that rewards you very well for sticking with it and following the characters as the story progresses. I would say that after the first few episodes in this series things should generally get pretty interesting, assuming that this is at least a decent adaptation of the manga.

8. bigddan11

It looks like the first episode will cover events from the first 3 episodes of the original series. The synopsis from Crunchyroll.

9. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

Episode 1

This is the first experience I've had with Hunter x Hunter, but I've heard only great things about both the manga and the previous anime, and I love Yu Yu Hakusho in all forms. I really liked this first episode. The setting is interesting enough, the animation is great, and it moves along nice and quickly for its genre.

10. ensatsu-ken

Considering that episode 2 of the first anime was completely filler material, this anime essentially combined the the first and third episode of the first anime, which is understandable and does help to get the series off to a noticeably quicker start (though I did like a good deal of the filler in the original anime). Right now things are OK but I won't really be able to judge this remake until I see how well it handles the darker turns of the story later on, which the first anime was brilliant at, IMO.

Still, for what its worth its a good start, and I love the opening song. Its very nostalgic and feels reminiscent of the tone of the original anime's first opening song in terms of its up-beat tone.

11. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

They did a good job picking up the pacing here. The first arc is a bit slow to get rolling, so that was a good idea on their part. As for the episode itself, what can I say? Gon is a pretty good main character to start us off into this crazy world, and his partners are just as good. Once we get to the proper exam, so to speak, things should really get moving.

Just keep in mind that HxH isn't afraid to go a bit dark now and again, and unlike YYH it can sometimes go over the line. But I'm not sure how this anime will deal with that stuff.

12. ensatsu-ken

One thing that really bugs me about this episode: Where the heck is Kaito? He's an important character in terms of his influence on Gon. Maybe they'll fit him into a flash-back later, but people watching this series for the first time should know that following in the foot-steps of his father wasn't the only thing that inspired Gon to become a Hunter. I don't want to spoil anything in case the show covers this later on (and they should), but it was strange to see him excluded from the first episode.

Also, I can't wait to see how this show handles Killua. I still say that out of all of Togashi's series (including YYH, which is my favorite), Killua is by far the most interesting character that he's ever written, and arguably one of the most bad-ass. I can't wait until he gets introduced in this anime (which, judging by the pacing and the next episode preview, should be around episode 3 or so).

I must say, I was quite partial to the OST of the original anime, but I was also impressed by how much I immediately took a liking to this remake's OST. On the whole it got off to a positive start. But, really, I still need to see how Killua and Hisoka are handled in this series.

13. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

I liked the opening and ending, very upbeat and fast paced music. From the previews it seems as the show will be moving at a fast pace, unlike the last anime.

Wonder how they will handle the darker more violent parts of the series later on, i mean with Hisoka things are just naturally dark and violent.... speaking of Hisoka, there was a certain part of the ending with him in it.... yeah, huh... if there's one thing i thought wouldn't fly these days on a kids show it was THAT.

14. bleachj0j

bleachj0j Demon Slayer in training

My view on this series will depend on how they handle Hisoka and the later more violent parts. The first series was directed so well, even when I first watched it in 2009. The first episode was okay it certainly moved alot fast which is good since the first 14 episodes of the orginal were really slow.

15. Divinenega

Divinenega New Member

On of the note of Kaito, there were rumors floating around that the director decided to wait until later into the series to introduce him, which appears to be true. It;s not that big a deal though. So long as he;s mentioned before Greed Island, it shouldn't really have any real impact on the story.

16. Mandouga

Mandouga Active Member

It could be. One CR comment even called it "Hunter x Hunter Kai" because of how the episode is essentially a summary of the first chapters (which as was previously pointed out are apparently [I never saw the first anime] equivalent to the first anime's first three episodes).

It will likely slow down at some point. I've no doubt that the reason for the faster pacing was because they wanted to consider both new viewers (like me), and anyone who had not just read the manga, but also saw the aforementioned previous series.

It has been suggested to me that one of the reasons that the first anime series just simply ended after it caught up with the manga (aside from not wanting to make filler episodes) was because of the extended hiatuses the manga had taken. OTOH, I don't know how accurate that is. The original show premiered in 1999, and ended in 2001 after 62 episodes; three years after the manga debuted in 1998 (which, BTW was a year after the One Piece manga debuted). So, I'm not sure when all the hiatuses really started. In any case, the manga just recently came back from another extended hiatus. If and when this show catches up to the manga, I'm not surw what will happen...

17. Rud

Rud Nine Arts Dragon

thats not actually accurate.

The first anime had a lot of filler in it and the second episode of that anime was 100% pure filler material.

The first episode here is just the first 2 manga chapters minus Kaito and the bears in chapter one. The episode pretty much has the entirety of the second chapter panel per panel.

18. ensatsu-ken

Episode 2 was OK. The animation didn't seem to dip in quality and I'm still mostly liking the BGM soundtrack for the series (though most people seem to hate it so far). This time the anime combined another 2 episodes from the original anime (episodes 4 and 5). I understand that they probably want to speed the pacing up to get to the real exams as quickly as possible, which start in the next episode, but I hope that they eventually slow down the pace a bit so as not to rush through everything.

Also, I'm still just waiting until we get to see how this anime version deals with the darker parts of the series coming later on, especially with characters like Killua and Hisoka having some more....errr, gritty scenes later on in the series.

19. Divinenega

Divinenega New Member

Actually going from the manga's perspective, they aren't going that fast at all. They only went through 2 chapters this episode. Same thing with episode 1. The first anime was really slow paced in comparison so I guess I can see why it could be seen that way

20. ensatsu-ken

I'm aware of that, but I actually grew to like how the original anime expanded on things from the first few chapters (and even later chapters, at that). While it had to move at a slower pace to do those things, it did a much better job of building up the characters early on and quite frankly made me care about them more. There was filler material but most of it was actually pretty good and I felt helped to enhance the story and characters rather than hinder it. Also, while the new anime is basically just following the manga, it is noticeably cutting some scenes out (though admittedly in this episode it only cut out really minor scenes), so even in that regard they could still afford to slow down just a bit. Either way, though, I think it was a good idea to at least get these pre-exam tests out of the way as fast as possible so that people could get to the main event early on. I have a feeling that most viewers are probably less patient these days, so they wouldn't want to sit through multiple episodes of pre-tests just to get to a bunch of episodes of even more tests (though I still liked how it was done in the original anime, myself).