1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Hulk and The Agents of S.M.A.S.H" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez Active Member

They do point that Skaar resembles Hulk, so we'll see.

2. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Disney XD has released a new promotional image for the upcoming Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. animated series, debuting August 2013 on the boy-centric network. The animated features The Incredible Hulk leading a group of Hulk-like heroes. Click on the thumbnail below for a closer look.

[​IMG]

3. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Apparently USA Today ran a short article on the series. It looks like the other four Hulks will have their origin stories told somewhere in this series. Also, Rick's transformation is not permanent, there's an implication that he'll be switching back and forth.

4. Venom Melendez

The way She-Hulk does?

5. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Or the way he does in the comics...

6. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Yeah, basically.

Actually, I wouldn't be so sure She-Hulk (or anyone else) is going to switch back and forth either. It's not brought up the way Rick's switching back and forth is. Hulk hasn't been switching to Banner and back in either USM or Assemble, for example.

7. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

It's so strange that Banner hasn't even been mentioned in the other shows. It makes me wonder if Hulk's connection to Banner is something that's even widespread knowledge. I can't imagine that they'll be able to do this show without acknowledging Banner. He has to at least be necessary for Rick and Jen being here.

8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Actually, Fred Tatasciore did an interview with Newsarama for Avengers Assemble where he talked about how Mark Ruffalo set the tone for Banner for him.

It could mean that Banner is due an appearance in either Assemble or S.M.A.S.H. and Tatasciore is going to be voicing him as well as the Hulk. I'd definitely be baffled if Banner never makes a single appearance in the first season of S.M.A.S.H.

9. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

I agree, I find this really strange too and I find it self-defeating considering audiences loved Banner in the Avengers movie. However, SMASH is being handled by a different creative crew than USM and AA. MOA is handling the former two shows (at least until USM's third season was leaked where it was revealed in the season premiere script that Dini's getting re-involved in the show) and Paul Dini is showrunner for SMASH. Dini could want to do things a bit differently.

I personally believe both Red Hulk and Skaar are going to be mode-locked for certain. I'd like it if Bruce and Jen weren't mode-locked too though, they have unique talents and personalities which would really help the show.

That's a possibility. Tatasciore has a pretty wide range, I think he could pull Banner off in addition to Hulk, and it would cut down on voice costs because you wouldn't need to hire a separate actor for Banner. I'm sure it's an opportunity Tatasciore has been looking forward for a long time.

10. Venom Melendez

Then again, Jen prefers to stay in her She-Hulk form most of the time. It wouldn't be odd for her to stay transformed and she does retain her control.

11. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

That's also true. Other than perhaps an origin transformation she could be mode-locked like she was in the 90's show but because of choice. I like Jen when she's normal though (though my avatar probably says it all right there lol).

12. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

13. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Disney has issued the following press release:

HULKS SMASH THEIR WAY INTO THE MARVEL UNIVERSE BLOCK
    IN A SPECIAL ONE-HOUR PREMIERE OF MARVEL’S HULK AND THE AGENTS OF S.M.A.S.H. SUNDAY, AUGUST 11 ON DISNEY XD
    – Premiere Episode Debuts Thursday, August 1
    On WATCH Disney XD Online, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch –
    – Premiere Event Features A Super-Sized Marvel Universe Block
    With A New Episode of Marvel’s Avengers Assemble –​

Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H., is an action-packed, fun-filled animated series starring Marvel’s strongest super heroes – Hulk, She-Hulk, A-Bomb, Red Hulk and Skaar. In this first Marvel produced Hulk animated series, this Gamma group forms an unlikely family living under one roof, battling evil villains and proving to the world they are not monsters – they are Hulk-sized heroes. The series premieres with a special two-part episode on SUNDAY, AUGUST 11 (11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., ET/PT). Immediately following, a brand new episode of Marvel’s Avengers Assemble (12:00 – 12:30 p.m., ET/PT) will air in this special super-sized Marvel Universe block on Disney XD.

The Agents of S.M.A.S.H. must work together to tackle threats while learning to balance Hulk-sized action with everyday family-sized problems. From stopping Ego the Living Planet from crashing into Earth to trying to house break their giant red pet T-Rex, A-Bomb documents their heroic deeds and thrilling adventures in a reality-based web series.

Beginning Thursday, August 1, the series premiere episode “Doorway to Destruction, Part 1″ debuts exclusively for verified users on WATCHDisneyXD.com and the WATCH Disney XD app for Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, as well as Disney XD On Demand. On the same day, DisneyXD.com/HULK will launch the “Gamma Storm Smash” game, where fans can play as the Hulk or other agents of S.M.A.S.H. as they blast their way through a treacherous Gamma Tornado to reach the Negative Zone for a final Boss Battle against Annihilus.

From Monday, August 5 through Sunday, August 11, the series premiere episode is available free on iTunes.

On Sunday, August 11, the special one-hour series premiere kicks off with “Doorway to Destruction, Part 1,” where Hulk’s best pal Rick Jones begins making a web-series to show the world Hulk is a hero, and Big Green gets his first chance to prove it when Annihilus invades Earth. In “Doorway to Destruction, Part 2,” the newly formed Agents of S.M.A.S.H. – including a Hulked out Rick Jones, aka A-Bomb – invade the Negative Zone to stop Annihilus once and for all.

Following the premiere of Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. is a new episode of Marvel’s Avengers Assemble. In the episode “Molecule Kid,” Hawkeye and Black Widow take on a covert S.H.I.E.L.D. mission to bring in the son of a super-villain, but when he is revealed to have a world-bending weapon, they realize keeping their mission a secret may be a fatal mistake.

Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. stars Fred Tatasciore (“Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness”) as Hulk, Clancy Brown (“The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes”) as Red Hulk, Emmy Award-winner Seth Green (“Robot Chicken”) as A-Bomb, Eliza Dushku (“Dollhouse”) as She-Hulk and Ben Diskin (“Codename: Kids Next Door”) as Skaar.

The creative team consists of executive producer Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”); co-executive producer Joe Quesada (“Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”); creative consultant Paul Dini (“Batman: The Animated Series,” “Lost”); and supervising producers Todd Casey (“Thundercats”), Cort Lane (“The Super Hero Squad Show”) and Henry Gilroy (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars”). “Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.” is produced by Marvel Television and carries a TV-Y7-FV parental guideline.

Disney XD is a basic cable channel and multi-platform brand showcasing a compelling mix of live-action and animated programming for Kids age 6-14, hyper-targeting boys and their quest for discovery, accomplishment, sports, adventure and humor. Disney XD branded content spans television, online, mobile and VOD platforms. The programming includes series, movies and short-form, as well as sports-themed programming developed with ESPN. In the U.S., Disney XD is seen on a 24-hour, advertiser supported network that reaches over 78 million households via its basic cable and satellite affiliates. For more information visit http://www.DisneyXD.com/

Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world’s most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing. For more information visit http://www.marvel.com/

14. supergirl's pal

supergirl's pal Give us a SBFF Animated Series

If we can get at least one good transformation out of Jen, then I'll be happy.

15. spyke

spyke Well-Known Member

Here's the newest trailer for the show.

[video]http://video.disney.com/watch/disneyxd-family-of-hulks-4e092534ccfed391b50355e2[/video]

The animation and art looks pretty good (a heck of a lot better than AVENGERS ASSEMBLE). The humor (based solely on this latest trailer) is hit or miss.

16. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Wow, the animation looks slick. I say it looks better than USM, even.

Humor definitely looks hit or miss but you can see signs of Paul Dini's typical subversiveness both visually and in the humor. Gives me some hope for this one.

17. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Eh. I'd have been more impressed with a family that doesn't include someone whose spent his whole Marvel career trying to destroy the Hulk as "family". I'd also be more enthusiastic if Banner was seen, if Rick Jones was human, and if Betty Ross was anywhere around in human form. That supporting cast was Hulk's "family".

18. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

I feel the same way, personally. At least Rick Jones will be human for the first episode, and Tatasciore has strongly implied Banner will be in the show. I'll take what I can get from this current Marvel regime.

19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

So far, the Hulk's personality in this series seems to be a lot more like Peter David's "Professor" from the 90s than anything we've seen before. I really loved that take as a kid though I still wouldn't expect to see a lot of that replicated here.

20. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if he's more like the Banner-smart Hulk from the PAD run, or if he's merely not the dumb Hulk; I haven't seen enough of the show to be able to discriminate one way or another. That said, I'd love to see more material from the PAD era and less of the Loeb-era material, which I dislike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.