How well would Animaniacs fare in primetime?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by NervousWreck96, Mar 3, 2014.

?

Would Animaniacs and Pinky & the Brain benefit from a primetime slot?

1. Yes, it might've gained a bigger audience

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No, it would've lost its charm

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. I see both benefits and drawbacks

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. This is a repost of a "what if?" thread I posted on the Acme Acres forum (How well would Animaniacs have fared in primetime? : Animaniacs Discussion).
    ---
    Obviously, Animaniacs was geared toward adults as well as kids, even despite its presence on Saturday morning and weekday afternoon kids' blocks (fingerprints, anyone?). But what if Animaniacs were placed in a primetime block of animated shows, such as FOX's "Animation Domination", or Adult Swim? Would it find a bigger audience, or would it lose its charm?

I did hear that the reason Animaniacs was cancelled on Kids' WB was because they were drawing in an audience that was older than their advertisers wanted. Not to mention, Pinky and the Brain actually ran a few times in primetime on The WB and usually went toe to toe with the competition. (I wasn't born until '96, though, so don't expect more specific data) So I think that circa 1997, when cancellation rumors first spread, putting Animaniacs in an adult-oriented block along with Pinky and the Brain would've probably helped it gain some more traction.

Taking it one step further, I think that maybe if Animaniacs stayed with FOX and moved to primetime, they might still be around today. Combined, the shows on Animation Domination have been on for a grand total of 51 seasons! Those cartoons are untouchable! (Sit Down Shut Up and Allen Gregory aside, but those sucked.) Just think of how a cartoon like Animaniacs or Pinky & the Brain would've performed!

Developing Animaniacs for primetime would mean having to alter the show a bit. As LittleLooney told me on the Acme Acres forum, it would've lost some of the appeal that it had as a kids' show. For one, no more educational musical numbers, unless, say, it was about obscure subject matter of interest mainly to the older crowd (say, a song about the Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon). A primetime slot would also give the opportunity to push the envelope even further with adult humor, but that would make me, and I think a lot of Animaniacs viewers, uncomfortable. I certainly wouldn't want the show to become "Family Guy Lite". I think their joke-telling method from the old show would still work. Most anything that sounded suggestive was followed by Yakko's "Good night, everybody!", or a similar statement. It only hints at the double meaning, leaving audiences to say to themselves, "Ooohhhhhhhhhhhh...I see what you did there." It's a subtle, perfect way to sneak such questionable content through the screen, as opposed to Family Guy, which practically shoves its indecencies in your face.

As for Pinky and the Brain, they already aired in primetime a few times before, as previously mentioned, and those episodes ("TV or Not TV", "Of Mouse and Man", and "Napoleon Brainaparte" among them) were absolute dynamite. Change nothing.

What do you think? Would "A!" and "PatB" fit well in primetime, or should they have just stuck to Saturday mornings and weekday afternoons?

2. DonkeyKongSong

DonkeyKongSong Active Member

I don't think so. From what I heard, Pinky and the Brain was only in primetime briefly due to even lower ratings there. As for FOX, I know they did try BTAS, Power Rangers, and X-Men in primetime, and while the former especially had wide adult appeal too (X-Men had some as well, but Power Rangers is specifically a kids show anyway), but those are action/adventure shows. A comedy like A! or P&tB might have fared a little better, but I don't really think they would have lasted too long.

And yeah, after the Ren and Stimpy Adult Party Cartoon, I'd never want to see that kind of treatment befall A! or P&tB.

Though in all honesty, I don't really like P&tB as an individual show too much. As a kid, I don't even know if I always tried to catch it. As an adult, I just don't see the appeal.

3. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo We're not cousins!

Yes, The WB did indeed run Pinky and the Brain on Sunday nights at 7 PM (EST) for a little while. The network even briefly tried following P&tB with Freakazoid! at 7:30, but neither series was able to compete with 60 Minutes on CBS, hence the origin of Yakko's joke in "This Pun For Hire",

Yakko: Just promise me one thing.

Hello Nurse: What's that?

Yakko: Never put us on opposite 60 Minutes. We'll get creamed!

4. I'd attribute the low ratings to the fact that the WB was a new network, and some people either had no idea what it was or didn't receive it in their area. That, and the show was surrounded by utter crap such as "Sister, Sister".

These days, though, cartoons usually put up decent numbers in the key demographics opposite Sunday Night Football. But hey, that's my childish optimism talking. It's not gonna happen, I'm just saying that if there really is enough outcry for a revival, it might survive.

5. Goldstar Neo

Well, I personally didn't care much for the Pinky and the Brain solo series. I just couldn't get into it. I would have watched Animaniacs in prime time, though I can't speak for the overall viewing public.

I'm all for animated series airing in prime time, but I personally have no desire to see A! or P&tB get revivals. Those shows were great, but they're over now, and any attempt at a revival would a disappointment. It wouldn't be the same. However, if Warner Brothers wants to produce a new and original animated series in prime time, I would definitely check it out.

6. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

If it was a revival series.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

An Animaniacs revival series wouldn't fare any better in broadcast network prime time than it would on basic cable. The show's been off the air for too long; they'd never be able to reassemble all that same talent and re-capture that same magic again 20 years later. Unless the producers were going to revise the show's format and/or replace some of the existing characters and segments with all-new ones, an A! revival would just be a bad idea. Animaniacs happened with the just the right people at the just the right time, and it can't be re-created. I say leave it alone, savor the memories and look ahead to future new projects.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2014
  8. bobbyjoejentry

bobbyjoejentry New Member

dth1971, I have to agree with Silverstar on this one, a revival would just be pointless at this current time, its been cancelled for close to 20 years, its over, lets just leave it at that. Even if, and thats a big IF they ever did make a revival of the series, traditionalists and those who grew up with the original series would say that the new version pales in comparison to the older version and that it would ruin the reputation of the show for classic fans. Also considering with how Animaniacs is doing on the Hub right now, being demoted to early mornings and losing its weekend time slot, it would not make good business sense for all parties involved if an Animaniacs revival was ever made. I understand the original point of this thread is to see if it would do well in primetime, but as stated in Silverstar's post, it would simply be too much of a daunting task to reassemble the cast and producers to bring it back to what it was in the good old days.

9. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

IMO, if Animaniacs was in primetime, we would've seen a lot more Minerva Mink.

I kinda feel sorry or her...the censors forcing the producers to pull the plug on her shorts before her character had time to develop. We'll never know if she was more than just a pretty face desperate for a husband.

10. Goldstar Neo

No big loss. I don't think there was anything to Minerva Mink other than the character's alleged hotness, and the show already had Hello Nurse for that. The character served no real purpose other than to be a furry fetishist's wet dream. I didn't see any break out potential with that character.

11. DaffyDonaldQW93

DaffyDonaldQW93 Member

12. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I'm not sure what you're implying? That Rob, Jess and Tress can't do those characters justice anymore because I'd have to disagree with that. They've very talented actors who still work on cartoons regularly. I'd hardly consider that live performance their A game or even their B game though Rob and Jess hold things together better than Tress at this point. Tress has been phenomenal on Futurama though.

Reviving the entire thing would be rather difficult for many many other reasons. It would be a lot easier to make new Pinky and the Brain or just more adventures of the Warners than to revive every component of Animaniacs.

You could not really hope to make something that was quite the same but that doesn't mean they couldn't make a good show with the same characters and at least most of the same settings.

13. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Yes. A spinoff would be acceptable, after all P&B got their own show, so I can't see why any other characters couldn't get their own shows. Hmmm... "The Rita and Runt Show?" "The Minerva Mink Show?" "The Goodfeathers Show?" Man, this is hard...

14. Lemanic

Lemanic Member

Rita & Runt? Yes, please!

15. Narfpinky

Narfpinky ~splash~

[Hi all, decided to merge DaffyDonald's thread "Why an "Animaniacs" revival will never work........ " with this not-too-far back thread for a little clarity.]

At best, any revival, prime-time or not, would be a mixed bag. Sure it would be great to see our characters back in something current, but it's very unlikely it'll feel the same as the series we all know. What I also wonder is what hasn't the whole (or parts of the) A! crew already done the first time around?

16. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Member

It might work in prime-time if nothing's competing with it. A Friday night slot would be perfect.

17. zorinlynx

zorinlynx New Member

Umm, without Richard Stone handling musical direction we might as well bring people in off the street to do the voices.

His loss was a massive one to the world and without him there will be nothing that will ever sound quite the same or as good. R.I.P. :(

18. goldenboy

goldenboy New Member

I don't care for Animaniacs (think it's very overrated) but if there was a revival, they could go to Bruce Broughton (Tiny Toon Adventures) to do music.