1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

How was 2016 for you?

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Freav, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Freav

Freav BeakFreav

There was a similar thread for 2015 I think so I decided to make a new one.

We all know 2016 really sucked in many global aspects, but how was this year for you, personally?

It was an alright year for me. I entered university and did good so I'm happy, I'm mostly scared because it's gonna be a lot harder next year.
    Not many interesting things happened to me actually, I grew an obsesseion with rubik cubes, and played music with a few people (even had a "band" early this year, but it never really happened).

• Like Like x 3
  2. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

On the plus side, I did earn a BA in Geology and did get a job with the school district. The bad news is that I really wish that I had a job that I could support myself with. I'm scared that I have pigeon-holed myself since my degree is in geology but all of my work expirence involves kids.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

It was alright for me. I did graduate high school and there was plenty in animation that I enjoyed. I don't have a job yet, but I have been looking for one, though at this point, I won't get it until next year.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gatordragon

Gatordragon You are a pebble against a mountain!

It was a mixed bag. Got good grades, lost weight, made new friends, and got to enjoy nature again. I found a job opportunity, but it interfered with my class schedule. Hopefully, I get something from the five job applications I applied to. There were a few scares, but thankfully I clutched it and even exceeded my expectations. Just gotta learn from my mistakes.

• Like Like x 5
  5. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Mixed bag for me two, If I had to say what I liked was how big the summer was, I didn't get that much fun since the summer of 2012, since I got my first job, reflected back on some stuff, and enjoyed the phenomenons like Pokemon Go and how big was Loud House apart of my summer life.

However like a lot of people I didn't like the many deaths that we saw this year, the biggest problem with the year for me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Action!

Action! Active Member

I had a good year. I had some fun and surprises in 2016.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

Apart from the CN related stuff I do, 2016 was probably the best year of my life so far after many setbacks and lack of self-confidence in previous years, I now have a well paid job with some important responsibilities and I can now support myself. I've carried on my charity work too.

I suppose I can move on from this point and build upon 2016.

• Like Like x 5
  8. chunkychief09

chunkychief09 Future animation scrub

2016 for me was alright... It could be a pushing point for me going into animation, a WAY better push than the year before.
    When 2017 hits for me, that is when my animations will start being planned underway.
    Sadly, we lost a lot of good ones in this year... David Bowie; Mohammad Ali; Carrie Fisher; George Michael; and many, many more.

For those who hit 2017, how is it like? As of this reply, i'm still in 2016.

• Like Like x 2
  9. sasq

sasq Active Member

Still looks like 2016, at least for now.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Now that 2016 has come and gone, how would one describe this year...?

Yeah that's about right, thanks Mr. Cobblepot.

Now before we start raving about how much of a cluster-crap this year has been let's focus on the positives shall we?!

• I'm not much a baseball fan, but congrats to the Chicago Cubs
    • The Loud House premiered on Nickelodeon and it proved to be pretty successful, at least with the audience but not so much with the network's programming and staff treatment
    • Captain America: Civil War and Doctor Strange were released and were both fantastic!
    • Overwatch has officially been released and it was friggin great!
    • Star Wars: Rogue One came out and it was amazing!
    • There was even a Deadpool movie with a Hard-R rating no less and it was really darn good... Bring the Kids! [​IMG]
    • The New52 official ended (to stand with) and DC's Rebirth books are actually got really good for the most part.
    • We also got an arsenal of new Marvel comics that are just as amazing, like the new Avengers series, and the Black Panther comics
    • Wildstorm is now being remade and under new management, and even though I'm not much of a fan of Wildstorm I'm still happy it's getting revitalized
    • New Netflix shows like Luke Cage, Stranger Things, and TrollHunters just premiered and they were all freaking awesome.
    • Anniversaries for franchises like Pokemon and Star Trek
    • Speaking of Star Trek, they just announced a new tv series coming
    • We're even getting a revival of Mystery Science Theater 3000
    • They also announced the upcoming Last of Us Part II coming next
    • Season four of Ultimate Spider-Man really shows how far the series has improved, and while I might honestly miss the show being cancelled, we're still getting a new Spider-Man cartoon later, so that's a fair trade.
    • Speaking of Superhero animation, Justice League vs Teen Titans was actually pretty good, and even though the Killing Joke was a flawed project, It was still alright for the most part
    • Justice League Action finally premiered and I look forward to watching new episodes later down the line.
    • We also had amazing animated films like Kubo, Sing, and of course Zootopia and Moana, all were beautiful and gorgeous!
    • And speaking of Disney, Elan of Avalor premiered and for the most part it's actually pretty decent
    • A new Godzilla film came out and it was outstanding, practically on par with the 2014 movie, perhaps even better dare I say.
    • Planet Earth II was made and it was breathtaking
    • I created some new original characters for me to work on in the future.
    • Cartoon Network released two pilots for two potentially new shows, Infinity Train and Victor and Valentino, as well as giving, Mighty Magiswords it's own full fledged series and it's pretty dang fun to

I could continue but honestly there are just so many good things we got it's hard for me to remember.

Then again for all the good things we got, we had to endure five or six more screw-ups for each and every one, with the very last 10 days in particular being the biggest party pooper of them all! Seriously, just what the heck happened in 2016?!

While I for one tend to focus more on pop-cultural efemera, like with blockbuster disasters like BvS, lousy tv programing like the new Powerpuff Girls reboot (if one can even call it that) or how Youtube has been going to crap with it's own set fish paste, and of course all the deaths, there's only so much in politics, environmentalism, and personal livelihoods that I try to avoid but still hit close to home; it really makes one wonder if suddenly the whole world's gone mad or if those 2012 predictions for the end of the world just off a few years; is that why the whole world's suddenly gone to crap?! And shoot I don't even have to list anything in particular, because YOU guys already have solid notions of what went wrong!!

And considering how bad 2013 was, I just gotta ask, is THIS going to be a thing now?! Is the whole world just gonna suck for every two or three years?!

All in all, be it for good and for bad... even if it is mostly for bad, 2016 has been a pretty eventful year :sweat: ; be it in politics, entertainment, or the media in general, or even personal-wise, I think we can all agree that 2016 has been hard for a lot of us! And dare I say, it's possibly gonna be even harder in 2017, but that's why we need to look out for one another now more than ever!

No matter what happens, no matter how bad things get, we must remember to be good to one another, and try our best to impose the injustices in the world and do what we can to make the world a much better place; and most importantly... LEARN from out mistakes! Oh sure, we'll continue to make new ones, but let's at least try and not to make the same mistakes over and over; strive to make a difference, and do what we can in our parts to make 2017 a new year, one we'll all be proud of.

And one way I'll be doing that is by supporting some of my friends online with some of their projects, as well as try and promote some of my own artistic material so I can hopefully share my creativity with the media myself, even if won't be a smooth ride for me.

Happy New Year Everyone. :)

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

*sighs* 2016 was horrible nationwide, but at least it was a solid year for me personally. I've faced more pros than cons.

In June, I've graduated high school with decent grades and even had a huge graduation party. In fact, it was the biggest party my parents ever threw in our house. I was glad to see many of my closest friends and family members at my party. It was such a fun time.

I've also entered college at Montclair State University in September. Classes were hard so I've dropped a few of them by November. Despite that, I still managed to pass the rest of my classes by the end of the semester, with my lowest grade being a C-. My GPA was fairly good for a college freshman. I've also made good friends with another freshman. He's a pretty cool and outgoing kid, so I can definitely see us having a great long-term friendship as we grow up.

Finally got my driver's license back in March. It was nine months overdue, but I've finally got it.

During the summer, I've finally lost a lot of weight after my mom signed me up at a local gym. Sadly, once school started in September, I was pretty much back to where I was.

I've really enjoyed several good cartoons that premiered this year: The Loud House (it's a bit overrated now, but I still like it), Milo Murphy's Law, Counterfeit Cat, Future-Worm!, Fangbone! and even Mighty Magiswords (most people find it average, but I think it's one of CN's funniest shows currently airing). As for animated films, Moana would probably be my favorite of the year. The rest I either haven't either yet or were just average.

Also during the summer, I started watching Disney Channel again (haven't watched it regularly since 2011) and their sitcoms aren't really that bad right now. I really like Stuck in the Middle, K.C. Undercover, Best Friends Whenever and Girl Meets World. I believe these four are the best sitcoms DC has to offer now, compared to utter garbage like Shake It Up!, Jessie and Dog With a Blog.

Around September or October, I started watching MrEnter's and PieGuyRulez's videos on YouTube and I really enjoyed them. I like PieGuyRulez more because he's pretty cool and laid-backed. Whenever he reviews something, he tends to be calm. As much as I like MrEnter and his reviews, he tends to get angry often and take cartoons way too seriously. He also swears a lot, sometimes for no particular reason. Overall, I do plan on watching more of their videos throughout next year.

Lastly, the Christmas presents I've received. I think they're the best that I've got in recent years, which were a new pair of Bluetooth headphones, a $25 Target gift card, a new wallet, a new watch, a snow globe and $125 in cash, all given by my family members. Pretty solid Christmas.

So yeah, 2016 was tolerable for me, but I fully expect 2017 to be a much, much better year for me. Maybe even perfect. As for our society, I can only hope 2017 will be just as good as 2010, 2011 or even 2012. Definitely not perfect, but just good. Who knows, maybe Trump has proven me wrong and can be a good president after all.

Happy New Year's everyone!

• Like Like x 4
    #11 Cartoon Ruler, Dec 31, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  12. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

I graduated from college for Computer Science - My only concern is finding a job I can do good in in said field, now.

That's all I got, really - besides watching some good cartoons (not saying examples - and some of them are criminally underrated and needed far more airtime than they get now...!).

• Like Like x 4
  13. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

It was largely decent for me personally, if a bit conflicting on a larger scale.
    How fitting it would be that today would be very conflicting for me on a deep personal level. The highest of highs and the lowest of lows all wrapped into one.

• Like Like x 1
  14. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

15. Harmonie

Harmonie Foreverrrrr!

2016 coupled with late 2015 was actually an amazing year for personally (until the election, which will effect me personally). It's the strangest chain of events I've ever seen to happen to lead me to my "happy ending", anyway.

It's such a long story... I'll keep it short and simple. 2016 brought me so many great things, some I'd given up on ever hoping to do:

-I got over my ex. This was a very long and painful drawn-out process, and I'm happy to be on the other side of it.
    -I auditioned and got back into school for music. This was something I had given up on entirely. The odd thing about this all is that the chain of very strange events that led me back to this began before I gave up.
    -I left my miserable overnight job to return to school. I seriously thought there would be my end. Being back on days alone is something to celebrate.
    -I found a precious dog that needs my love as much she needs mine. Mid-2015 was when my family lost a very, very special dog. He can never ever be replaced, but it's always nice to know that there will be another special (for different reasons) pet to love in the future if you open your heart.

So, needless to say, 2016 was a pretty phenomenal year for me. I'm not sure where I would be otherwise. 2015 - up until the end - was a very depressing year.

16. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

*There were no new Wabbit episodes as of march.
    *I had a 3.5 avg GPA sophomore year which is horrible.
    *I started editing the Looney Tunes Wiki on a daily basis as of April. As of December, I am a new Acme Head (Administrator), if you want to join join and ask me any questions you don't mind.
    *I joined Toonzone as of June 11, 2016.
    *As of 2016 I started playing Mario Kart 8 more often. If you want to add me as a friend, start convo with me.
    *2016 was the first year I learned more about the 1995 dubbed version pre-1948 WB cartoons. This includes their USA and EU differences, their releases on home video and where you can find them on the Internet. I also learned this year that Jerry Beck said that the Tom and Jerry Golden Collection Volume 2, and Censored 11 DVD will not be released anytime soon, due to the lack of profit from DVD.
    *Got permit in October
    *If you guys play Clash of Clans, our clan celebrated its 2nd anniversary in July. We are going to be a level 10 clan soon. I someday hope to create a COC youtube channel.
    *I went to 3 new Asian countries as of 2016 and 2017.
    *2016, I had a 3.72 GPA for my first semester of junior year, which is not as great as I expected, but I hardly tried first semester, so maybe if I try a bit more this semester, I can get a 4.
    *I joined some intense SAT summer school and didn't enjoy it as I thought I would, but that was the reason why I am on toonzone, so everything has its benefits and drawbacks.

This year going to be a great year with great struggles but enduring challenges to face as well. Like the responsibility of being the only active administrator on a 3000 page site and working harder in school at the same time. And being a senior in high school next year too.This year I am also taking the SAT.

I really want to get a part-time job soon, while it looks boring, I can prove my parents I can support myself as I am older. When I am older, I really want to work for Warner Brothers. I really want to market all the classic toons to a younger audience so they can see what animation was like in the 30s. Right now only about 300 are on the market, but those other 600-700 need to be restored and on the market too. And the MGM cartoons do need to be on the market. It's gonna be hard but I think I will find a way to do it.

For some reason I just stopped watching CN shows. Regular Show gets a bit repetitive and the only shows I watch are Gumball and Wabbit. I really don't like the rest of their programming. Hopefully, CN can put classic MGM and WB cartoons on reruns again this year.

I watch SpongeBob and FOP on Nick. I don't know if I should watch the Loud House.

This will also be the year where Donald Trump takes office as of 1/21/17.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    #16 Kevin Mo, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  17. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

But if you majored in Geology, then you can be a teacher. and teachers make decent money, starting salary is 50k, and within 3rd year you can rise to 80k a year + govt and tax benefits, heck, you can even take tax deductibles as a teacher for materials and stuff. if teaching isn't the job for you, then maybe you should go for MASTER and PHD and then be a college professor, they pay more. But if you were a teacher for lets say 20 years, you would probably make 100k a year every year after like year 12. and the highest salary for a teacher yearly, PLUS govt tax benefit and tax deductible is about 115000. so rock on!

You entered university, that's really great to hear. College looks very stressful but fun at the same time. I heard that most people do better in college than high school cause theys only like couple class a day rather than all in a day like high school. In college, you also get to find who your true friends are, and phase out the ones who don't stick with you to the very end. College is also where you determine your career. I hope you find my advice useful!

• Like Like x 1
  18. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I recommend checking it out. I think it's one of Nick's best shows in recent years.

19. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Alright, i will if i have time.

20. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

That's great! Hope best for you in the future.