1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

How to write a sequel series

Discussion in 'The Story Board' started by Srebak, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Srebak

Srebak Member

I'm currently in transition of writing a sequel series to the original Disney show; American Dragon: Jake Long, but at the moment, after giving the matter more thought, i'm not sure i know the ropes to writing a sequel series. Can anyone here give me some pointers?

I have decided on an antagonist though: Orpheus C. Wraithe by ~srebak on deviantART

2. Charles Chimag

Charles Chimag I also find this amusing!

A few years ago, I was on this forum writing my first fan fiction. It was a continuation of Teen Titans. Based on how horribly that went, I can give you a little advice about what I've learned. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Jake Long, but I'll try to give some general advice.

First of all, if you want your story to feel like a continuation of the show, put it in the same tone as the show. Try writing lines of dialogue for the main characters, and imagine that the voice actors are saying them. It should sound like something the character would naturally say. If you're going for a different tone, it would still help if the characters were recognizable by the way they speak.

In terms of story, the characters are often as important as the plot. How did they develop during the show? Is there anything about them that should be developed or explored more? As for the plot, it looks like you're going for a new villain, so you probably already know that rehashing the grand finale but with X and Y generally isn't a good idea. That is what I did for Teen Titans. I brought back a bunch of characters that didn't need to come back so I could have the team-up I wanted. Again, looks like you're avoiding that.

But of course, in the end it's up to you how you want to write your story! The great thing about fan fiction is that there are no rules and there are no limits. Figure out what you want your story to look like and go from there.

3. Atoragon

Atoragon *random sound effects*

I do have to agree with Charles' advice. I was once is the same boat many years ago.. I think it was 7 or 8 years ago? Damn, I must be getting old... :/ Anyways, just write what you want to write. Be confident in your abilities and lay your thoughts out on the paper. (Or, in this case, the keyboard, I guess...) Don't think about the story, feel the story. Envision it in your head. Hell, include opening and closing credits if that's how you roll.