1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"How To Draw Zelda Wrong" Talkback

Discussion in 'Platypus Comix' started by Peter Paltridge, May 6, 2008.

1. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

http://www.platypuscomix.net/bored/drawzelda.html

It's kinda short, but I have a good excuse. I'm working on something so monumentally awesome, it'll take a few weeks to complete instead of the usual time. It's actually the most labor-intensive article I've made yet.

While you're waiting for that, you can read this to tide you over.

2. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

Have you seen screenshots of the CD-i Zeldas? That's really not how to draw Zelda!
    BTW, when you're done with your most monumental article ever, please find the time to update the FPO videos section.

3. takineko

takineko I can do that with a pancake!

This is why, even at a very young age, I hated how to draw books-- even though I loved drawing.

My mom said she knew I could draw from my first doodles because she taught me to draw those simple fish-- the ones that look like the jesus fish-- and I was drawing them turning and coming toward you. lol

Coloring books were also pretty annoying, thick ugly lines, very few of the pages were anything you actually wanted to color. When I got older I started to realize the things that drove me nuts as a child were actually the supplies. No one gives the good art supplies to you until high school. Pink erasers were required, all they EVER did was smudge pink crap across your paper. Pencils never have good erasers on them either. Crayons and crayola markers are the devil for people learning how to color. Only after I was proficient in high school art classes was I able to make good use of those mediums. It kind of shocked my art teachers that I even used them.

4. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Whoa...I have now been enlightened on how to use How-To Draw books...drop them from the sky and hit people on the head with it. :D I never actually use a How-To Draw book...unless you count that manga/anime one. But then I could only draw those characters...:sweat:

5. takineko

The second I saw those how to draw anime books I was like.. that's not anime.. that's Amerime. Obviously not drawn by someone proficient in Japanese animation. And that saddened me.

6. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

You know, that's exactly how John K. draws. Except if he ever wrote a how-to-draw book, it would be several thousand pages long, mostly consisting of his rantings on how stiff today's drawings are.

Also, that evil Yakko? That's gonna be my avatar.

7. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

I was never a big fan of those "How To Draw" books either. Part of it was because I usually drew in pen when I was younger, so I couldn't fathom actually drawing something twice and then erasing the pencil lines; but the main reason was that I thought they were putting one over on me. You know how it is when you're a kid and you know something without even having any proof? Well, I knew that cartoons were drawn "clean", and no number of books telling me otherwise could convince me. I went through much of my life absolutely certain that I could draw my characters without any preliminary sketching and they'd look just as good as anything else.

Of course, then I actually decided to experiment with preliminary sketching and I discovered that it made my drawings look about a hundred times more solid, even if it was more time consuming. Nowadays, I produce fewer drawings per day than I used to be able to, but they look a lot nicer. (It also helps that I bought a book on anatomy, which helped me to make my human characters look much more, well, human.)

As far as I can tell, the only "How To Draw" book that ever helped me was "The Simpsons Handbook: Secret Tips From the Pros", which was published last year. See, it doesn't just teach you how to draw the Simpsons characters - it also teaches you how to animate them.

8. Dynamite XI

Dynamite XI Whoa, where have I been?

Heh, "how to draw" books really ARE a sham. I remember one that gave you instructions for drawing Alfred E. Neuman, and the illustration for the final step was essentially a reproduction of Norman Mingo's original A.E.N. drawing, shading and all. And the book was meant for fifth graders.

The only "how to draw" book I ever found useful was Christopher Hart's Drawing on the Funny Side of the Brain. Although it wasn't really a "how to draw" book per se...more of a "how to be a cartoonist" type of book.

It gave good pointers for generic character design and traits, but it ultimately allowed the reader to come up with his/her own characters and their motivations, as well as pointers for hooks and comic timing. It even had the addresses of the major newspaper syndicates in the back, too, for the die-hard serious aspiring cartoonists.

9. takineko

That reminds me I have a book called Drawing on the Right side of the Brain thats good practice.

10. Chris

Chris I am a DuMont production.

I can't draw. If I draw a television, for example, I have to draw rabbit ears on top of it because if I don't, people might think it's a microwave or something. Of course rabbit ears are very obsolete (except if you want to get KWVT or some crazy UHF stations that aren't on your cable lineup. I have a pair for that reason.) I can't draw, which is too bad because I like drawing cartoons. Look at my crappily-drawn cartoons in MS Paint for an example of how bad i draw.

11. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

On a serious note, I think John K.'s art tips on his blog (as well as on the ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive) are pretty invaluable. I'd also recomend Andrew Loomis's books.

12. takineko

[off Topic] I randomly checked your profile John and realized you are one year younger than me to the day.

I've had people request that I do a HOW TO DRAW THE WARNERS tutorial. I can't imagine making one up, all I do is look at a picture of what I want to draw to learn it. There's no way in summing that up in a tutorial, unless I just video tape myself drawing it and explain how to eyeball the distance from one line to the next...

[​IMG]

13. takineko

14. Racattack!Force

Racattack!Force 私は、ああ、くそっバットマンなんだよ !

Me did not see that comings. :D

15. The Nameless

The Nameless Demoted Regular

:lol:

16. TomatoSpud

TomatoSpud Resistance is futile

Aw...but that's just like how I draw. :(
    Except usually not the step-by-step thing. But I do use the circles and triangles and all that.

17. captcomic83

captcomic83 Member

The two 'How to Draw Anime' books you are referring to are 'How To Draw Adult Anime' & 'How To Draw Anime For Dummies', both published by Solson Publications, a company whose main impact was publishing some of the main culprits of the great 'Black & White comic Glut' of the mid-to-late 1980s!

J.A.P.

18. captcomic83

captcomic83 Member

There are three main publishers in the field of 'How To Draw Manga/Anime' books in the U.S.:

You might have heard of Scholastic by now, so I will introduce you to the two more obscure publishers in the field:

The most obscure publisher in this sub-genre is Solson Publications, who published the books 'How To Draw Adult Anime' & 'How To Draw Anime For Dummies'. They did publish comics in the mid-to-late 1980s, but most of them were of the cheesy amateur-level stuff typical of the books published in the mid-80s 'Black & White Glut'. They also served as printer to three other 80s glut publishers: Victory Productions ('Komodo & The Defiants'), Showcase Publications ('Crack Busters', a pair of spandexed do-gooders who fight crack dealers), & New York Comics ('The Protectors', a cheesy attempt to mix 'X-Men' & 'Misfits of Science'!). Their output included: 'Reagan's Raiders' (A superteam starring then-President Ronald Reagan!), 'The Amazing Wahzoo', 'Daffy Qaddafi', 'Escape To The Stars', 'Samurai Santa' (With Jim Lee's first work!), 'Rock Heads', & my favorite, 'Sultry Teenage Super-Foxes' (A team of female supers!). Platypus Comix used to have a feature called 'Worst Comix Ever' that featured awful comics, & Solson could fit there! The only two books of theirs that could come close to the 'manga' theme are their first comic book effort, a three-issue adaptation of 'Voltron' published under the 'Modern Comics' imprint, & when they printed Victory's title 'Shuriken' (It was a book about a female ninja with long eyelashes kicking ninja ass!)

I will tell you of the more prolific of the obscure How To Draw Manga publishers tomorrow!

J.A.P.

19. captcomic83

captcomic83 Member

20. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

WOW. Solson's a thousand times worse than I pictured. That's the most evil how-to guide since "Machiavelli's The Prince."

And I always assumed the black-and-white indy comix craze led to some innovation. Apparently everybody and their dog just copied the Turtles.

Speaking of ripoffs, I Emailed Mister Kitty about a year ago asking if the inspiration for their very similar site was from mine. I got no response.