1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

How to convince WB to release animated titles in widescreen?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Kirben, Jun 6, 2009.

1. DawnShadow

DawnShadow New Member

Baby Looney Tunes confirmed as 16:9 (Complete series). iTunes upgraded every episode to HD quite recently.

2. cheril59

cheril59 Member

Actually, CN started producing their shows in widescreen around 2005. "Juniper Lee" and "Camp Lazlo" were the first two produced in widescreen.

Guess what? Class of 3000 was produced in widescreen.
    Proof: http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/domo44/imgs/8/2/82a2974d.jpg
    http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/domo44/imgs/b/6/b6e96d69.jpg

"Squirrel Boy" was also produced in widescreen, too. It's a wild guess that the episode title cards for the first season was actually the title card from the pilot, "Kite Makes Right", stretched to widescreen.

P.S. Season 5 of Ed, Edd 'n Eddy was not produced in widescreen.

3. Insomnia

Insomnia Member

I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere but Duck Dodgers has been released on DVD in widescreen and is on iTunes and PSN in widescreen and in HD.

Also Batman Brave and the Bold has been released on blu-Ray and obviously that was in widescreen.

Really hope Warner can at least release billy and Mandy in widescreen on iTunes.

4. Kirben

Kirben Member

Thanks, I added Baby Looney Tunes to the list.
    Can for offer any links for video clips of the widescreen versions of Class of 3000 and Squirrel Boy?

Warner Bros. started releasing new cartoon series in widescreen, beginning with Batman: The Brave and the Bold. The problem is the large amount of cartoon movies & series released on DVD before that point (see first page), which are unlikely to be ever re-released in widescreen on DVD.

The Blu-Ray releases from Warner Archive are the best hope for remaining DC animated series and maybe a few others, but their releases are far too slow, with only a few each year.

#85 Kirben, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  5. supmandude

supmandude Member

Teen Titans has been in widescreen since Season 1, not sure if it's been released that way since the original post here or not. The proof that I have of that is in the Teen Titans Go episode The Mask, they cut to a dubbed over Season 1 clip and it's in non-cropped 16:9.

6. Kirben

Kirben Member

Couldn't they have just re-animated that scene for Teen Titans Go! though? only season 3 onwards of Teen Titans has been provided in widescreen on iTunes (USA) so far.

7. supmandude

supmandude Member

I doubt it, it looks identical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When they reanimated Robin's arms to make it look like he was taking his mask off, it stuck out like a sore thumb, so I think it'd be pretty obvious if they reanimated it for widescreen.

8. Kirben

Kirben Member

That is really interesting, I agree it really looks like a re-used scene from the original Teen Titans series. I can only hope we see the widescreen versions of Teen Titans season 1 & 2 eventually added to iTunes and similar service in the future too.

I constantly wonder why Warner Bros. seems to continue to keep widescreen versions of their cartoon seasons and series buried in the vaults.

9. DawnShadow

DawnShadow New Member

Camp Lazlo Season 4 is available on the Australian streaming site, "Stan" in 1080p 16:9 HD.
    [​IMG]

Hoping for an iTunes HD release of the complete series in the future or at least for the full series to be added to Hulu or Stan.

10. DawnShadow

DawnShadow New Member

Season 1 of Teen Titans is now airing in 16:9 in Australia. It's also available in 16:9 on Canada's streaming service, Shomi.

11. Kirben

Kirben Member

That is surprising, as Teen Titans was not listed as been widescreen in the TV guides. The first episode was not shown in widescreen, but episode 2 onwards has been widescreen so far.

That means all cartoons series produced 2003 onwards from Warner Bros. were produced for widescreen. There are only a few more earlier series (Mucha Lacha, Ozzy & Drix, Static Shock later seasons) from Warner Bros. to confirm now.

#92 Kirben, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  12. cheril59

cheril59 Member

You mean all cartoon series produced 2002 onwards from Warner Bros. were produced in 16:9. There's What's New Scooby-Doo? and Baby Looney Tunes.

13. Kirben

Kirben Member

No, Mucha Lacha and Ozzy & Drix started in 2002 too, and still have not been confirmed.