1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to convince WB to release animated titles in widescreen?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Kirben, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

2. Kirben

Kirben Member

The are only widescreen clips of season 5 & 6 of Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends on that specific channel, with the earliest been:
    Season 5 Episode 1 clip at Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends - Cheese A-Go-Go (Preview) - YouTube

So it isn't clear if Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends was produced for widescreen for season 1, or switched for the later seasons.

EDIT: Only season 5 onwards was produced for widescreen, according to a wiki web site on the series.

The widescreen clips & previews on that specific channel confirm the complete series of Ben 10 was produced for widescreen too:
    Season 1 Episode 1 clip at Ben 10 - And Then There Were 10 (Preview) Clip 3 - YouTube)
    Season 2 Episode 1 preview at Ben 10 - Truth (Preview) - YouTube
    Season 3 Episode 4 preview at Ben 10 - Merry Christmas (Preview) - YouTube

I don't understand why Warner Bros keep the widescreen versions of these series locked in the vaults, the widescreen versions of Ben 10 and Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends aren't even available on iTunes (US)

#62 Kirben, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  3. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

Add Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show to that list. Itune's preview is in widescreen. Also, I think season 5 of Ed, Edd n Eddy is too. I'm basing that on odd cut-outs of things while watching.

4. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

Actually, the first 25 seconds are in full screen and switches to widescreen afterwards. I know cuz I saw the TV airing.

5. Kirben

Kirben Member

The Blu-Ray release of Superman: Brainiac Attacks confirmed the movie was produced for true widescreen. An incorrect aspect ratio of 1.37:1 is listed on the back cover though. Strange the widescreen version wasn't available on any digital services.

The Spooky Games special included on Scooby-Doo: Laff-A-Lympics - Spooky Games was cropped to full screen, although produced for widescreen too. It is really disappointing to see cropping on a DVD release as late as July 2012.

6. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

I suppose we're lucky we even got the DCAU in that format at all, the anamorphic version of JL season 2 on BR sounds like it's a miracle it ever came out at all, likewise ROTJ. Shame the only version of S1 is that open-matte version, though I suppose that's technically not wrong. My crappy CRT TV tends to overscan anyway, but I rented Mystery of the Batwoman recently, and it looked like he fullscreen version was cropped, in one of the special features on the DVD, it looks like it was storyboard in widescreen. Perhaps not though, couldn't tell. You'd think they'd be releasing everything in widescreen now, it's the standard at this point, and everyone but me has an HDTV by now.

7. Kirben

Kirben Member

The Blu-Ray release Mystery of the Batwoman is true widescreen, only the DVD release was cropped to full screen.

On DCAU side, I still wonder if the later season(s) of Static Shock might be widescreen too.

8. Zentron

Zentron Member

WB seems to be in love with the 4:3 ratio when it comes to DVDs, the first release of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone on DVD was in 4:3 (here in the UK anyway, as far as I know), though afterwards the next releases were in widescreen. I have held off getting some WB titles, due to the 4:3 ratio on the DVD, despite the program being screened in 16:9 on the TV. It's weird for them to release stuff here on DVD in the 4:3 screen ratio, as the UK is officially a 16:9 zone and has been for some time, though I have noticed some change by WB in the last couple of years, as they have started to release some shows in 16:9 on DVD, which is nice, though would like the other shows already released in 4:3 to be re-released in their correct 16:9 ratios!

The new problem I am seeing with WB here in the UK, is they are taking so very smegging long to release sequential DVDs of TV series, for instance, Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated season 1 volume 3 was released on the 20th of this month (May), unfortunately for fans of the show, volume 2 was release on the 13th of February... 2012!! That's 1 year, 3 months and 1 week ago :eek: :mad: At that rate, it'll be the year 2025 by the time we get in all released here!

So I think the only way to get them to do anything, is TO YELL AT THEM REALLY LOUDLY!! And hopefully they will hear us and do what we expected and wanted them to do in the first place!

9. Kirben

Kirben Member

Warner Bros. have been releasing cartoon series much slower in the Europe & Australia for a long time, with many cartoon series not released completely or even at all. And cartoon series only seem to be released via single volumes, or split sets into single volumes in Europe & Australia which is even worse. Just import the DVD releases from the USA if you can, it isn't worth waiting for local releases of cartoon series in Europe or Australia.

10. Zentron

Zentron Member

Yeah, they have been releasing things here very slowly for many years, but just in the last couple, they have gotten extremely worse! Then of course is the prices, they seem to think we will pay anything for their productions, a couple years ago, they brought out the Ben 10 season 1 boxset, with a £29,99 price tag, though this was not like the US season set release, where the complete series was on two discs and came inside a double DVD case, the set they released was their three single disc DVD releases, each disc still in their own single regular size DVD cases and placed inside a cardboard slip cover! Now, at the time, each of the single disc Ben 10 DVD releases, were priced at about £4 in practically every single shop in the land, which if you do the maths, WB were charging us almost £18 extra.... for a cardboard box! Talk about cheeky!

Of course I do get some WB sets from the US, unfortunately, not all of them are region 2 encoded and I don't have a region free or cracked DVD player to view them on! I can view them at my PC however, as I have a region free program to allow me to view R1 discs, but it's not the same as lying down on my bed, watching them on my 32" Hi-Def LED widescreen 3D TV, which I would much prefer. That said, they do release their shows much quickly elsewhere in Europe, as I have already bought the first DVD release of Scooby-Doo Mystery Incorporated season 2 from Italy, so it just seems seems that they are neglecting the UK market the most :sad: :shrug:

11. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

12. Kirben

Kirben Member

13. Moleoman

Moleoman Well-Known Member

"Firehouse Tales" were produced in widescreen too. Here's the Polish intro from MiniMini channel in Poland:
    Stra

14. Kirben

Kirben Member

The complete series of Firehouse Tales was shown in widescreen on TV in Australia too, but the series has not been released on DVD anywhere worldwide so far. I added a 'Not released on DVD yet' section to the first post, to cover these series.

15. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

You can't help but wonder if CN Studios started producing their series in widescreen around the same time Warner Bros. Animation did (2002, I believe). Since they are both owned by the same company, it would make sense.

16. Hanshotfirst1138

Transformers: Animated was evidently conceived in widescreen but never broadcast or released that way. Why is a mystery to me. These days, widescreen is becoming so common a parlance, I'm surprised hasn't everyone hasn't shifted over to it. On that subject who owns the rights to Transformers: Animated and Beast Machines? The final season of the former never got released at all. Is it Shout! They have the other series, it'd be awesome if they did. Maybe TF 4 will get it to happen, but I'm not holding my breath.

17. Kirben

Kirben Member

Paramount owns the English rights for Transformers: Animated worldwide, with every DVD release been cropped. Strangely the series was shown DisneyView style (1.33:1 with artwork on the left/right sides) on TV in Japan, rather than using widescreen masters.

No idea about Beast Machines, I doubt Rhino still have the rights.

18. Hanshotfirst1138

In other words, the chances of it coming out again or being completed are slim and none?

That's exceedingly peculiar. It seems that the broadcasters and those releasing it are adverse to putting out the widescreen version for some reason.

Shout evidently got the right to Beast Wars from Rhino, perhaps they'll do the same with Beast Machines. A controversial and flawed series, to be sure, but very, very pretty. God, I miss Mainframe.

Incidentally, I'd like to read Furman's Alignment, but it doesn't seem to be up on the Transforce website anymore. Figures.

19. Kirben

Kirben Member

Season 1 of 'Krypto the Super Dog' and the complete series of 'What's New Scooby Doo?' have been added to iTunes (USA) in true widescreen, which confirms both series were produced for widescreen.

Warner Bros switched to widescreen around 2002, so only the following titles from Warner Bros. Animation still need to be confirmed:
    Baby Looney Tunes
    Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island
    ¡Mucha Lucha!
    Ozzy & Drix
    Static Shock (Later seasons)

Along with several more titles from Cartoon Network Studios.

#79 Kirben, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  20. ECDT1089

ECDT1089 That Car Genius

There may be another way to find out for sure. The clues could be in the show's themselves. For example, I was watching the episode of What's New Scooby Doo, "Toy Scary Boo", and there was scene where Velma had footage of the mall security camera's on her laptop. All four footage was widescreen on the laptop, but when top right footage was zoom in, it was shown in 4:3.

#80 ECDT1089, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2013