1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

How to convince WB to release animated titles in widescreen?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Kirben, Jun 6, 2009.

1. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

You don't miss any thing, with a tiny bit of the screen cut off.

2. Kirben

Kirben Member

Expect it isn't a tiny bit, I suggest you read Widescreen-o-Rama!

A few specific examples from Legion of Super Heroes Season 2 Episode 1, where characters are partially or completely cut off:

Widescreen - http://members.optusnet.com.au/wbtoons/example1a.jpg
    Pan and Scan - http://members.optusnet.com.au/wbtoons/example1b.jpg

Widescreen - http://members.optusnet.com.au/wbtoons/example2a.jpg
    Pan and Scan - http://members.optusnet.com.au/wbtoons/example2b.jpg

3. cartoonscartoons

cartoonscartoons I cant help it, if I'm lucky

They are not affecting the enjoyment of the show, it's not like you will die if you cannot see a side character. :cool:

4. andyscot

andyscot Andrew Crawford

So you think funimaiton treatment of dbz was right converting a fs show to ws cutting material off? which is the same as what you doign converitn ws show to fs

5. Trevor

Trevor Active Member

Are you sure that the movies were produced originally in the widescreen process? Or were they done in 4:3 and then cropped to 16:9 widescreen for their theatrical releases? I remember hearing back in the early 2000's when Cloverway and Pioneer/Geneon were bringing the 3 Sailor Moon movies to North America how people found that the North American versions were better than the Japanese widescreen versions because of how the movies had been produced with all the artwork done in 4:3 and then the films were cropped for the wider 16:9 theatrical screens, thereby losing resolution and screen space, but the NA versions restored them to their production standards.

6. Kirben

Kirben Member

Yes, all the Pokemon movies were produced for widescreen.

7. ShadowDemon

ShadowDemon Member

I would be willing to accept a P&S verision of X-men Evolution S4 if that was the only way they'd release it on DVD finally...

8. SpiderScooby

SpiderScooby Member

Yes, I just got the DVD and it is Pan and Scan sadly.

9. Kirben

Kirben Member

Well I asked this question during the recent HTF Chat with Warner TV/Animation:
    And their response was:
    So looks like no chance of seeing these titles re-released on DVD in widescreen :( I doubt most of these titles would even get Blu-Ray releases in the future.

10. MartianManhunter

I only want them to release things in widescreen if they were MADE in widescreen, BTW add "and on Blu-Ray" to the end of the title and I will agree.

11. Kirben

Kirben Member

Animated movies from Warner Brothers are been shown weekly lately in Australia, so I'm hoping to discover more movies, which were created for widescreen.

I have compared the majority of the titles mentioned in my original message, and they were clearly created for widescreen presentation. The widescreen versions offer more on left/right sides, and aren't cropped vertically.

I wonder whether the majority of these titles would benefit from Blu-Ray, or whether they would just be upscales, and simply magnify any glitches that occur. I assume the more recent Scooby-Doo! DTVs were produced in HD at least.

Also if Warner don't think it is worth completing the TV series on DVD, then why would they even consider releasing the TV series on Blu-Ray? when Blu-Ray is more costly to produce and offers a smaller market.

12. SpiderScooby

SpiderScooby Member

Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase is avalabile to rent in HD from iTunes, so I would figure the newer movies have been done in HD too. Honestly, I don't see WB releasing any of these on Blu-Ray, at least not in the near future.

13. Kirben

Kirben Member

More Scooby Doo movies have been added to the iTunes store (US) again, with the following titles available in widescreen:
    Chill Out, Scooby-Doo!
    Scooby-Doo! And the Legend of the Vampire

Looks like all animated DTV movies from 2003 onwards were produced for widescreen, with only 'Superman: Brainac Attacks' still not confirmed.

I really wonder on the animated TV series side, with so many animated TV series (and seasons) that were created since 2003, which could have been produced for widescreen.

14. Kirben

Kirben Member

Bumping my old topic, to let more people know about this issue. Many people still don't seem to know these animated movies/series were produced in widescreen. We really need to know let Warner Bros. know we want decent DVD releases of these titles, especially as widescreen is standard now.

Confirmed as produced for widescreen via iTunes (US), since my last post.
    Ben 10: Alien Force (Season 1)
    Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix
    Teen Titans (Season 3 - 5)
    Xiaolin Showdown (Complete Series)

Also 'Superman: Brainac Attacks' is confirmed as only full frame, via iTunes (US) too.

I updated and split the list in the initial topic, into Blu-Ray and DVD releases. Unfortunately the list just keeps growing longer and longer, as more titles are added to iTunes (US) over time.

15. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

Regarding on the PPG Movie's OAR; I compared the widescreen and full screen version on the internet and it seems the full screen version is open-matte. Meaning full screen was how the movie was made. Unless someone wants to prove me wrong.

You know, Warner should consider about giving animated films on Blu-ray both aspect ratios. By that I mean only animated films that were made in full screen but mtted for widescreen.

Also, another film that got a full screen release in the US and a widescreen release outside the States was Cats Don't Dance (a film that's worthy of a special edition).

16. Kirben

Kirben Member

I just compared the Australian DVD release which is widescreen, to what is available of the full screen version on YouTube, and you are definitely right. That is really surprising, looks like I will have to get the DVD release from the USA too. I removed the PPG movie from the list.

Yes, that would be good for movies like Batman: Subzero and series like Justice League (Season 1) which were animated for full screen, and also shown in widescreen in the past. But I doubt that will happen, judging by the Blu-Ray release of Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, which was provided only in full screen, when there would have been more than enough room to provide both.

17. Blipsy

Blipsy Tara's been a bad girl

Actually, not all of the movie was made open-matte. From comparing just a few assorted scenes, I'd say only about half of the shots are open-matte, if that much.

Here are some examples of open matte shots:
    PPG Movie Comparisons - Open Matte 1 photo by blipsycat | Photobucket
    PPG Movie Comparisons - Open Matte 1 photo by blipsycat | Photobucket

And here are some examples of pan-and-scan shots:
    PPG Movie Comparisons - Pan & Scan 1 photo by blipsycat | Photobucket
    PPG Movie Comparisons - Pan & Scan 2 photo by blipsycat | Photobucket

The fullscreen version of the movie isn't too bad, but the entire movie wasn't made open-matte. It seems the director just had the foresight to have certain scenes animated that way. Still, I think the widescreen version is better, and I hope Warner Bros. will put it on DVD in America some day.

18. Kirben

Kirben Member

Thanks for the comparisons, I only compared the opening sequences myself. I wonder if the PPG movie was originally planned as just a TV movie, but switched to cinema release during the production. As difference scenes been designed for full screen and widescreen sounds very unusual.

I added the PPG movie back to the list.

19. MatthiasofRedwal

I can't believe you people forgot about Cats Don't Dance
    It was released in widescreen but since it's VHS release it's only released in pan-and-scan format
    The only exception is the out of print DVD release in Germany
    to prove it WAS in widescreen, Here's the Big and Loud musical scene in it's original ratio
    [video=youtube;pB0n7KTyEdI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB0n7KTyEdI[/video]

20. Kirben

Kirben Member

I added the Cats Don't Dance movie to the list.