1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to convince WB to release animated titles in widescreen?

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by Kirben, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Kirben

Kirben Member

The following animated movies/series from Warner Brothers were produced for widescreen, but are only available cropped to 4:3 on DVD:

Available in widescreen on Blu-Ray:
    Aloha, Scooby-Doo!
    Batman: Mystery Of The Batwoman
    Scooby-Doo! And the Legend of the Vampire
    Scooby-Doo and the Loch Ness Monster
    Scooby-Doo and the Monster of Mexico
    Scooby-Doo and the Samurai Sword
    Superman: Brainiac Attacks
    Tom and Jerry: Blast Off to Mars
    Tom and Jerry: Shiver Me Whiskers
    Tom and Jerry: The Fast and the Furry

Available in widescreen on iTunes in the USA:
    Baby Looney Tunes
    Bah, Humduck! A Looney Tunes Christmas
    Batman, The
    Batman, The - vs. Dracula
    Ben 10
    Ben 10: Alien Force (Season 1)
    Ben 10: Secret of the Omnitrix
    Chill Out, Scooby-Doo!
    Krypto the Superdog
    Legion of Super Heroes
    Loonatics Unleashed (Season 2 only)
    Scooby-Doo! Abracadabra-Doo
    Scooby-Doo! Pirates Ahoy
    Scooby-Doo and the Goblin King
    Scooby-Doo in Where's My Mummy
    Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get a Clue!
    Teen Titans (Seasons 3 - 5)
    Teen Titans: Trouble In Tokyo
    Tom and Jerry: A Nutcracker Tale
    What's New Scooby Doo?
    Xiaolin Showdown

Available in widescreen in other places:
    Camp Lazlo****
    Cat's Don't Dance***
    Firehouse Tales*
    Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends (Season 5 - 6)****
    Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, The (Season 6, maybe more?)****
    Loonatics Unleashed*
    My Gym Partner's a Monkey****
    Powerpuff Girls Movie, The***
    Spooky Games (Scooby Doo special)
    Teen Titans*
    Tom and Jerry Tales*

* Shown in widescreen by local TV network (Nine) in Australia
    *** Available in widescreen on DVD in Australia or Europe
    **** Widescreen clips and previews are available on Cartoon Network Asia YouTube channel.

I expect there are even more, but this list is only based on what has been shown locally on digital TV and details/previews on iTunes store (US).

How can Warner Brothers be convinced to release their recent animated titles in anamorphic widescreen on Blu-Ray or DVD? I don't understand why Warner Brothers doesn't market widescreen as an actual advantage, with the growing market for widescreen TVs.

EDIT: Updated Teen Titans

#1 Kirben, Jun 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  2. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

There's also Teen Titans and The Powerpuff Girls Movie that I really would like to see released in widescreen.

IIRC, they actually did say that a Teen Titans widescreen rerelease was a possibility a few years ago, so I think someone should try to remind them. Plus, a widescreen release of the Powerpuff Girls movie is really overdue.

Though, I forget, has Mask of the Phantasm been released on DVD in widecreen? If not, for gods sakes, that above anything else.

3. Kirben

Kirben Member

The Powerpuff Girls movie was released in widescreen on DVD in Region 2/4 (UK/Australia) at least, although several extras were missing.

A re-release in widescreen on DVD in Region 1, with all the extras included would be great to see though.

Already been released on a double sided DVD, with full frame on one side, and widescreen on the other side.

I should mention Justice League (Season 1/2) too, the first season wasn't released in widescreen, and the second season wasn't released in anamorphic widecreen (only letterboxed).

4. Golgo13

Golgo13 Sup?

Don't forget Justice League Volume 2 presented in pathetic letterbox format.

5. defunctzombie

defunctzombie 1992 not 2002
    Staff Member Moderator

That Justice League first season has a story behind it:

I agree though, anything non-anamorphic in this day and age is silly.

6. Golgo13

Golgo13 Sup?

If you want to see the worst letterbox presentations, just look at Manga Entertainment's early releases. Boy, did they not understand the concept of anamorphic transfers.

7. Kirben

Kirben Member

Teen Titans just started locally on TV, and season 5 (earlier seasons were skipped) is definably produced for widesceen too.

8. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

There were signs of Titans' widescreen production as early as season 2. That's when we started seeing the title sequence cutting off on the sides.

I'm hoping the eventual season box set(s) for Batman: Brave and the Bold are in widescreen. Widescreen tvs STILL aren't as prevalent as they could be, but it's time for them to start future-proofing their product. With JL season 1 being released on Blu-ray, I think it's only a matter of time before we start seeing a more earnest effort toward widescreen transfers for animated fare. When JL season 2 is released on hi-def, it HAS to be in 16:9. I just hope the kids' animated titles get widescreen treatments on standard def in the future.

9. Kirben

Kirben Member

Disregard this message, the information from database at local TV network (Nine) was not accurate.

#9 Kirben, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  10. SpiderScooby

SpiderScooby Member

Really? I thought What's New Scooby Doo was only in 4.3.

I was pissed to find out the recent Scooby Doo were made in Widescreen but not released that way. Why must WB be so stupid?

11. Kirben

Kirben Member

Yes, although I'm not sure if it was all seasons. I only switched to digital TV, when season 3 was been shown, and I was really surprised when I noticed too.

Yes, I don't like having the long wait (years) until animated Scooby Doo DTV movies are eventually shown in widescreen by local TV network. Seems like Warner Brothers are just giving people, a good reason not to buy their animated DTV movies on DVD.

12. bluesun

bluesun Guest

Here in the UK;
    What's New Scooby-Doo? (at least season 3) is shown in widescreen
    The Batman seasons 1 and 2 are shown in widescreen
    The Batman seasons 3 and 4 are shown pillarboxed
    Batman: The Brave and The Bold is shown pillarboxed
    Tom and Jerry Tales is shown pillarboxed
    Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! is shown pillarboxed

I'd be interested in seeing pictures of later The Batman seasons, Batman: The Brave and The Bold, Tom and Jerry Tales and/or Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue! in widescreen.

13. Kirben

Kirben Member

Many cartoon series from Warner Brothers are currently shown upscaled (to 1920 x 1080) on local HD channel (Nine HD), so images are quite large.

I added samples of a several series to my web site:
    The Batman 1 (episode 36)
    The Batman 2 (episode 36)
    Batman: Brave and the Bold 1 (episode 3)
    Batman: Brave and the Bold 2 (episode 3)
    Loonatics Unleased (episode 8)
    Teen Titans (season 5 opening)
    Tom and Jerry Tales (episode 5)

I will add samples of Krypto the Superdog (Season 2), and Legion of Super Heroes (Season 1), when they start in two weeks.

14. bluesun

bluesun Guest

Wow... those are just... if only everywhere got that much picture.
    Ugh, I can't believe how those get aired in the UK then. >_< First, as America, they get cropped to 4:3, but then ITV expands them to make them look more like 16:9, by chopping off the tops and bottoms again to make them 14:9...
    That also makes me wonder... all the shows that were first shown on BBC that I've checked have been 16:9, and all the ones first shown on ITV have been treated like they're 4:3. And Krypto the Superdog is originally BBC here. I'll check on it tomorrow to see how it's aired here, according to wikipedia, season 2 episode 7 is airing.

15. SpiderScooby

SpiderScooby Member

I should say that the Scooby DTV movies are avalbile in Widescreen on itunes.

16. Kirben

Kirben Member

I didn't know the Scooby-Doo DTV movies were available on iTunes, the Tom and Jerry DTV movies are available in widescreen on iTunes too. I can finally see the more recent Scooby-Doo DTV movies in widescreen :)

Are any of animated series from Warner Brothers on iTunes actually in widescreen? the aspect ratio isn't listed for series.

EDIT: Unfortunately few animated titles are available via Australian iTunes store, region restrictions strike again.

#16 Kirben, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2009
  17. SpiderScooby

SpiderScooby Member

I just checked the two "Batman" series, and they're both in Widescreen.

18. bluesun

bluesun Guest

I checked today's Krypto the Superdog episode (season 2 episode 7) as I said yesterday, and it is shown in widescreen. Another confirmation that shows on BBC here are widescreen and ITV fullscreen.

19. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

I just want a widescreen Powerpuff Girls movie--no matter what you think of the film, its visuals were really carefully composed and took advantage of the widescreen AR.

Anamorphic JL Season 2 would be excellent as well.

20. Kirben

Kirben Member

Unfortunately Krypto the Superdog (Season 2) wasn't shown in widescreen, so I can only provide samples from the Legion of Super Heroes (Season 1) in widescreen:
    Image1
    Image2
    Image3