1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

How The Grinch Stole Christmas 1966 Cartoon.

Discussion in 'Back To The Inkwell - Classic Cartoons Discussion' started by Mr Flintstone, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

Who exactly owns the rights to it? The reason I ask is because I've seen it on 3 different networks, NBC(nice to see it back on network television) TNT and Cartoon Network.

Just wondering.

2. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

According to the Deadline article announcing that The Grinch would be moving to NBC, the TV distribution rights are owned by Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution. Also, NBC doesn't mark it's return to network TV. Prior to NBC, it aired on ABC for 10 years.

3. Mr Flintstone

Mr Flintstone Member

It aired on ABC in recent years? I didn't know that.

4. Kevin Mo

Kevin Mo @Bugssponge

Warner Bros/Turner owns the right to the short. But this shouldnt be in the classic discussion. It should be in the 70s discussion.

The short was released for MGM in 1966. Turner kept MGM pre-1986 library when he sold MGM. and turner was bought by time warner in 1996. and mgm library was absorbed into warner bros.