1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

How should a Captain Planet reboot be like?

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Eldorado, Oct 12, 2017 at 9:05 PM.

1. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

So if they decide to finally make a Captain Planet reboot series, how should they make it?

Like I suggested in the OK KO News & Discussion thread it should be a next generation type deal. With the original Planeteers retiring and a new group of kids taking up the mantle. Along with a new look for Captain Planet and a new group of Eco-Villains. It should also be anime-esque like Teen Titans (maybe even get Derrick Wyatt to provide the character designs).

They should also do how OK KO pointed out about how even after all these years of trying to help the environment things have just gotten worse. Might punch a few guts into actually doing something about the state of the Earth.

2. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

I know Captain Planet is basically sacred in the eyes of Ted Turner, but a reboot with a slight satirical/self aware quality to it would be the only sensible way to bring a property like this back. Not as in-your-face as Teen Titans Go, but not as mean spirited as the Scooby Doo movie (even if Scrappy kinda sucks). This old Cartoon Network ad has the right idea.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They should handle social issues and other issues that kids deal with, like online safety, or dealing with hate and racism.
    As far as an eco villain is concerned, maybe have said villain gain from having the planet be destroyed, instead of just doing it for the evulz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

It would probably be more up to date of most kid issues, and for the most part it would likely avoid some topics due to how some things are not really suitable for kids compared to the 90s.

5. JPReckless2444

Simple.

Evrything PPG 2016 does...

do the opposite..

• Like Like x 2
  6. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I think there are various ways to approach it.

1. They could bring back all the original characters and just put them in a new modern setting and make it again about them. I don't think they'd do that though since it would be a bit underwhelming and predictable and wouldn't really bring anything new. But who knows. In the OK KO ending they looked pretty well.
    2. They could have the original characters show up only in the pilot and have them aged so they would have to pass on their powers to a new generation. This somewhat would make more sense and keep the realistic tone of the show implying it takes place in a real world and time progressed not just in relation to the climate changing. Omitting the first team completely and just mentioning them would be a more drastic version of this take.
    3. They could have the original characters dead, but their spirits embedded into the rings a new generation of planeteers would wear similarly to what was in Thundercats with the Sword of Omens being to a degree self-aware and Jagga appearing every now and then as a guide. I think this would be a cool take in terms of a more fantastical style, albeit slightly departing perhaps from the original. It would be a nice way of keeping the original team though and would make the rings something more than just tools.
    4. They could also go the 'extreme' route some '90s shows went and turn it completely upside down by having the planeeters battle an alien menace and the planet having to unite against it - with this scenario being the least likely I guess.

Either way, I think people should keep asking CN for a reboot and maybe it will eventually come.

I've hinted it's coming when nobody expected it a year ago, having vague prior knowledge about it since, but these days you can't be sure. It's really about the support.

7. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

I was just thinking, you know how Lauren Faust was able to take a mocked franchise like My Little Pony and totally flip it into something absolutely beloved? Well, if there's a Captain Planet reboot it should be run by someone so experienced they can do just the same.

8. Kirben

Kirben Member

I wonder if Captain Planet could even be made into a decent reboot, as the messages were way too heavy handed in the original series, and that would no longer be tolerated by most people. I didn't make it very far, when I attempted to re-watch the original series, as the episodes served no other purpose that pushing a single environmental message.

If you want to see what a similar more recent series would look like, check out 'Once Upon a Time...Planet Earth'

#8 Kirben, Oct 15, 2017 at 5:33 PM
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2017 at 6:15 PM
  9. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I agree that Once Upon a Time: Planet Earth is a good starting point for the producers in terms of researching what worked or didn't - along with their own original show obviously. There was also another eco-focused animated series, this time from Australia and completely obscure, called Dinky-Di's.

10. Kirben

Kirben Member

There were quite a few other cartoon series focused on environmental issues in the past. Widget the World Watcher was another series I used to enjoy when younger, and I wonder if it would stand the test of time. The Free Willy cartoon series was focused on environmental issues of the seas too.

Once Upon a Time: Planet Earth is the only recent environmental series I have come across, in the 2000s though.

11. Dijeirusan

Dijeirusan New Member

I'd want it to be a serious show that deals with topical issues. Perhaps it could bypass broadcast TV altogether and go straight to Boomerang or Netflix, if that means it can address things appropriately without needing to pander to standards. They'd need to put the content first, merchandise second.

I imagine we won't see anything until Paramount does the movie to anchor a brand revival, though I imagine Warner Bros. is hoping Paramount loses their option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1