1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

How Nickelodeon got me into video game music!

Discussion in 'The Nicktoons Forum' started by Mikurotoro92, Jul 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

I am working on a new video called "Why I like game music"

In it I mention that an educational game called Type for Fun got me into VGM but it's not the only thing...

DISCLAIMER: all songs used are the copyrights of their respective owners yadda yadda...

Mikurotoro92 Presents...

"Why I like game music!"

(An Analysis)

I recently did a video called "Is video game music over-rated?" but I never really got into exactly WHY I love the genre

That's what this video is for

Ever since I was a kid I liked VGM

My introduction was NOT from Mario, Zelda, or Pokémon however...

Rather it was from an educational game called Type for Fun

Yes I got into game music due to a typing game

It is said that music can contribute to your happiest memories & the same is true with VGM

I feel the same way about game music that cartoon characters like SpongeBob with his spatula

The spatula makes spongebob happy

VGM makes me happy

This is why I like video game music

It gives you a feeling that no top-40 song can ever hope to acheive

To use yet ANOTHER example from SBSP (because why not right?) in the classic episode "Bubble Buddy" SpongeBob says to the people threatening to pop his bubble friend "Haven't you ever had a very special friend?"

It was revealed that Mr. Krabs' "special friend" is money while some of the other characters were things such as dice & other items

I guess you can say game music is MY "special friend"

As weird as it sounds it's true

VGM is a mood-lifter for me

It makes life better

Well that's the main reason why I like it but there's another reason I do too

I am a very musically-inclined person so I naturally like different types of music

In fact BGM on cartoons such as SpongeBob may have also contributed to me getting into game music

I know what you're going to say:

"How is that possible since Spongebob isn't a video game?"

It's possible because it opened my eyes to other music beyond the usual mainstream crap!

While Type for Fun is indeed what originally got me into game music it was cartoons like SpongeBob SquarePants, Rugrats, and Fairly Odd Parents that really changed my perception on what instrumental music can be

If there's one thing to thank Nickelodeon for it's that

Without these shows I would have never gotten into or appreciate music that isn't manufactured bubblegum pop!

I started to pay attention to BGM in other TV shows then eventually other forms of entertainment like video games

In other words SpongeBob, Tommy, and Timmy is how I got into Hirofumi Murasaki, Masafumi Takada, Toshiyuki Sudo, Daisuke Shiiba, Tomoko Sasaki, Yuzo Koshiro, Koji Kondo, et al

This is also one of many reasons why I can't bring myself to hate SpongeBob, Rugrats, and FOP

(besides the fact that they were part of my childhood of course!)

Would I have still gotten into video game music if it weren't for these shows?

Probably not!

#1 Mikurotoro92, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  2. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

It's great you found inspirational from Nicktoons when it comes to video game music, but this article doesn't seem like it'll generate any discussion. Also, it reads like a blog post and that's something we don't specifically need here. If you want to write something like this, I suggest doing it on your own personal blog. Since this topic has no relevance, I'll be locking it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.