1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

How long have you been interested in animation?

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Frank98, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Frank98

Frank98 Keep moving forward

Most of us started watching animated movies or TV series since we were young, but since when have you started to take animation seriosuly, as a true passion/hobby?

2. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Always. There has not passed a week in my life when I thought "kinda tired of cartoons".

3. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

Since I was old enough to be propped up in front of the TV. I think when I got into high school it became apparent to me that I'm going to be hyping the next Pixar movie or caring about CN for as long as I live.

4. Toon4Thought

Toon4Thought Giving a slightly closer look.

I've been watching cartoons for most of my life. However, I only really started getting into animation as an art form around 2012-13 or so. It started when I watched "The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut", which contains some of the most complex, intricate 2D animation you'll ever see - something that peaked my interests almost right away. I must have watched it like 50 times, and I found myself catching more and more details with each view. It was something I found strangely fascinating, especially given the unfinished nature of the film (even more so when you look at the original workprints to see what he had to work with).

The year after, I ran into DarthGonzo's "Hello Nice Warners" blog, which went into extensive detail about the different animation studios that worked on Animaniacs, and the individual flavors they brought to the table. This made me all the more intrigued at just how aesthetically pleasing certain animation tricks and techniques can truly be, even on a TV budget.

There were more catalysts than these two, but the ones I listed were definitely the biggest ones for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Always as well.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

6. EJLD4Ever

EJLD4Ever Animation Student

Since I saw a "Making of Beauty and the Beast" documentary on Disney Channel circa 1991-92. Then I was hooked!

7. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

Of course I watched cartoons when I was young, but I kinda fell out of favor with them when I was about 7 or so. I still loved occasionally watching classic SpongeBob, some of Disney's One Saturday Morning, Pixar movies, and also Shrek, but I was mainly becoming more interested in sports.

It wasn't until I discovered The Raccoons online when I was 12 or so that I really began to enjoy cartoons again. I was just enamored by all the different kinds of adventures that they pulled off with those characters. Around that time I began to take up designing characters and coming up with cartoon ideas as a hobby. I didn't have a lot of money and almost every other hobby I would have been interested in would have been too expensive.

8. I.R. Shokew

I.R. Shokew DISGRACED and Rooting ONLY for Underdogs

As a kid, I only watched it because it was there.

As an adult (which began during my early 20's (e.g.: around 2009), I've slowly but surely developed a more critical (yet respectfully appreciative) sense of what is good, bad, worth keeping up with/avoiding, and worth revisitng/left ignored & forgotten.

In short - most of my life involves cartoon watching - with not much end in sight as long as I can always find something good to watch in the present/future, with a healthy doseage of revisiting good stuff (IMHO, of course) from the past when not much else is on.

#8 I.R. Shokew, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  9. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Always, since I was a baby. Cartoon Network (and to some extent Homestar Runner) being a main influence on me, it also helped me inspire in some of my first prototypes several years ago.

10. ZukoFan

ZukoFan Member

I always enjoyed cartoons as a kid. I have a distinct memory of being at my grandmom's apartment when I was 9 and saying I was going to critique a new Cartoon Network show. Also, when I watched each version of Scooby Doo, I would pause the credits on my DVDs to see who voiced each character. I also watched most Pixar films the year they came out. To this day, I am fascinated with the talent that goes into animated projects, from the animation itself to the complexities of voice acting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I started watching cartoons regularly when I was four or so, roughly over 20 years ago, and never stopped. At that time, of course, it was just entertainment. But the longer I watched, the more I started observing various styles. At first it was the colors and then it was the designs. Later it was also the techniques and lines. There was American animation, European animation, Eastern animation. There were movies, there were shows and there were shorts. There were all at the same time a part of different genres, too. I'd be lying if I said that The Cartoon Network didn't play a role. It did. In the mid 90s it was variety overload with all the programming they managed to cram into the schedule (classic, new and old) and all the creative packaging they made to go with it. Of course, CN wasn't my only source for animation. There were a bunch of different channels I tuned in to that covered titles from the likes of Nick and Disney as well, not to mention local animation and animation from other countries. Last but not least there was VHS I could rent or buy. Whatever was contemporary during my years of growing up, I checked out and saw at least once. Out of the thousands of animated titles that exist there's maybe 10% I don't know well enough, 10% I haven't seen and 5% I haven't heard about - and that's great, because all these years later there's still stuff to discover. Still, I can't help but feel a little spoiled for knowing 75% of the rest. Watching things the very first time was more exciting - when you're little and it's all new it's just more special. Anyhow, moving forward, I somewhat always knew I was interested in toons for more reasons than just fun. Admittedly, it wasn't until maybe 5-8 years ago that I started paying more attention (rewatching helps make you notice what you once didn't see) and appreciating some of my childhood in a new way - the effort it took to produce a show by hand. These days everything is 3D and most of the 3D just comes out flat and looks the same. Some of the 3D is watchable and passable, if substance is more important, but at the end of the day I just return back to the two dimensions for more. There's something to them, genuinely, that can't be replicated in 3D and it's not nostalgia. In the last 3 years or so I started taking animation even more seriously by watching even more things, when there's time, and reading about them. Since I am interested also in video games, I tend to look at concept art. Plus I like comic books, though no expert, and that's a source too. I try to draw and have a few ideas for some things I'm considering making down the road - which I've been focusing on the past year. I think the endless posibilities and the excitement of waiting for new content is what keeps me going and telling me that animation is an area I would like to explore further - perhaps more professionally. Only thing I despise are people who think that animation is for kids and that if you're an adult who enjoys it you're weird. No, we're not weird. We just love animation the same way you love playing football - which is arguably in comparison a much more shallow hobby.

• Like Like x 1
  12. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I've been watching cartoons for as long as I can remember, but I started getting more into animation in 2011 or 2012 when I started discovering sites where I could get news updates on shows (before that, I just relied on TV promos). That lead to me wanting to know more about the people who made the shows. Then in 2013, I got into Hanna-Barbera, which lead to me wanting to know more about them and other studios. I've been pretty into animation since then.

13. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I remember being about 5, watching old Looney Tunes and MGM cartoons, and wanting to one day be one of the names listed in the credits so I suppose I always thought pretty highly of animation. The early 90s was a great time to be a young animation fan, too, since I was exposed to pretty much all of this old and new animation through tv and home video, and I got to experience things like the Disney and TV Renaissances and the early days of Cartoon Network firsthand. I think it really helped to shape this lifelong love I've had.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

I've been interested in animation ever since I was a little kid. I love it so much I even came up with a concept of my own.

15. fsaenz0125

fsaenz0125 Active Member

I've been into animated stuff. So I've definitely been into cartoons since 1997.

16. 90'sKid

90'sKid Well-Known Member

I always liked animation, but it really became a special interest to me after I "rediscovered" (after having stopped watching cartoons during CN and Nickelodeon's Dork Age) animation back in 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Overlord0909

Overlord0909 The lord of overs? v(0-0)v

Well, I watch anything, but animation has always been my favourite. I found I started loving animation more, when I had a mind focused on really bad stuff, and after watching My Life as a Teenage Robot, somehow it made me wanna stop thinking like I was, and focus on positives a lot more and be as close to a saint as I could be... I mean, the second part dwindled a bit as I realized it was harder to socialize like that. But, I've never lost the outlook of always thinking of the best and spreading joy to the world in any way I can

18. Cartoon_central

Since always, I especially started really becoming interested when I began learning about which animators did which scene and which animation studios did which episode.

19. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

When was the first slice of bread you've ever eaten?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

Ever since I first went to school at 3 years old, animation went through my blood and I fell in love with more of the library including my experience with anime at 4 years old.