1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

How long could Gravity Falls last on Disney XD (in terms of reruns)?

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Cartoon Ruler, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

I'm just really curious about this. It's been a little over a year since Gravity Falls ended, with 40 episodes aired. Since then, reruns continue to air on Disney XD, airing between 6-8 times a weekday. Now, I get that the show was one of Disney Channel/XD's biggest animated hits, but based on the amount of episodes it has, this makes me wonder how long until the show completely fades away from US airwaves. Unlike Phineas and Ferb (which has more than 100 episodes to rerun for a long time), I just don't think Gravity Falls has enough episodes to run for (potentially) as long as the former (even if Disney XD airs only one rerun a day, the entire show would just last a month and few days). I'm not saying that the show should stop rerunning now since it just ended last year, but I'm talking about two or three more years down the line. I feel by around that time the show would overstay its welcome.

Can anyone else predict how long until the show's rerun cycle continues? I myself just can't imagine the show rerunning for as little as three years.

2. PhineasPines

PhineasPines Member

Personally, I expect the show to continue having daily reruns until another popular show can take its place, which may take some time. Disney XD has alot of new series coming in that have the potential to take the timeslot, such as Ducktales, Big Hero 6, and Country Club, but it does take time for new shows to acquire a decent selection of episodes to be rerun as much as Gravity Falls currently is. I do agree that they are over airing the show as of present, but its likely that by the end of the year Gravity Falls will only air once or twice during slow hours and eventually be removed if any of the new DXD series end up getting big. Of course I don't expect the show to be completely wiped from the channel's selection since Disney tends to rerun most cartoons that premiered after Phineas and Ferb occasionally.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Although recently, Disney XD (at least the American feed) has given little to no airtime to other cancelled/ended shows that aren't simply huge hits (Wander Over Yonder, The 7D, Right Now Kapow!, Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja, etc.; Penn Zero might join the party once it's done). Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb are still airing on Disney XD to this day because they were Disney's cash cows.

4. PhineasPines

PhineasPines Member

They did air WOY for a surprise night time marathon a couple weeks ago but that wont happen again anytime soon because of dxp block. I just mean that they won't go completely unseen like basically any Disney cartoon before Phineas and Ferb. Even underground series such as Motorcity and Tron Uprising had a short rerun schedule at least last year and those show ended initial reruns in 2013.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I'd assume that GF is doing well enough to stick around the schedule, even after finishing a year ago it must be still a well represented show for Disney XD.

6. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Depending on how well the ratings are for it in reruns, it's hard to say, but over time the show will eventually get pushed back into later hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Zorak Masaki

Zorak Masaki Active Member

Well, they're still making lots of merchandise for the show (I saw a Gravity Falls coloring book at Wal-Mart last week), which is rare for most cancelled/ended shows,so they still see money in the show at least.