How do you feel about CN's cancelling of Young Justice and Green Lantern Animated Series?

Discussion in 'The DC Animation Forum' started by Miranda Cosgrove, Feb 18, 2013.

1. I feel that Cartoon Network doesn't care enough for they're fans. And I don't even live in the USA. :(

Edit: Sorry about the mistake. I live in Australia actually.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  2. Mojo25

Mojo25 New Member

Unhappy of course, I mean I like and follow these shows how else would I feel.

3. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    I'm just convinced CN desperately needs new leadership after the loss of 2 more good action shows, only to have them replaced with what can and will be below acceptable standards, overall, as well as what will be:

A) An excuse for the bad guys in charge to promote MORE of something that is killing this channel and its already severed enough rep.
    B) An excuse to produce and acquire more cheap stuff kids DON'T need to be exposed to because it can & will damage their(s), as well as our(s) views/opinions of Western Animation in general, if that hasn't happened already.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  4. MatthiasofRedwal

MatthiasofRedwal New Member

In sheer honesty, I don't mind
    I'm not much of a action toon person though i watch my share on netflix (e.g. Redwall, Tintin, Spirou and Fantasio)
    Green Lantern sadly had it coming as it was on the heels of it's disappointing live-action film, as for Young Justice -- I don't know
    I wish DC Nation WAS on a good timeslot but keep in mind we're still trying to cope from Sandy Hook
    then again, We were hoping for a Plastic Man tv series and look how that went

Post edited. Leave the politics out of here.

5. Dusty

Dusty Superman.

Quite sad, but mostly annoyed at CN/WB's handling of the whole DC Nation block completely, I know the GL Movie wasn't a huge success but the show was spectacular. Bad calls all around for the treatment of these shows. So again... yes, I am sad these shows have been cancelled, they were awesome... I don't imagine TTG and BTB are going to have an easy time filling the shoes of either of these shows.

D.

6. Hero Supreme

Hero Supreme Mr Jinx No More

In all honesty I was expecting one of the shows to be cancelled based on CNs behavior and the upcoming debuts of the new shows but I was surprised both got the axe at the same time. The cancellations are both tragic for different reasons. Young Justice has bee great and could probably easily sustain another season with a new wave of heroes. But at least its has two strong story arcs. And with 46 episodes, even though it falls short of the standard 52 or 65 order, at least its close. Green Lantern on the other hand is just getting going and there seems to be so much untapped potential. I can only imagine how strong the Sinestro season would have been. Another tragedy is that since neither series focused on traditional characters, it may be a long time before these characters are seen again. At least when Brave and the Bold was cancelled, we knew it wouldn't be long before another Batman series.

7. The ShopSoldier

I'm not going to lie - both shows had great runs - but so much more story to tell than that, sadly.
    Whatever replaces them, sadly - I know deep in my heart won't be as good or worth following, new Batman series or not notwithstanding. This is considering who they're aiming to entertain with their replacements... I'm going to leave it all at that!

8. Heeroyuy_Batman

Heeroyuy_Batman New Member

Young Justice being cancelled is a tragedy because it easily could have lasted another season. At least, it had a good run though. Green Lantern: TAS being cancelled, however, is a travesty. It easily could have lasted another two or three seasons.

I am looking forward to Beware the Batman and I will give Teen Titans Go! a shot. Still, YJ and GL:TAS will be very much missed.

9. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Even though I like Young Justice more, I'm content with 46 episodes for it (though another series in that universe would be great to see) while Green Lantern is assuredly being cut short at just 26. It's a great cast and very few episodes didn't deliver quality super hero action, comedy and drama and it generally didn't pull punches thanks to the PG rating. The new Batman may be capable of similar things but even in attempts to highlight underutilized Batman characters doesn't make it nearly as fresh as GL:TAS has been.

I've been expecting both to be cancelled for a while though. If anyone didn't figure it out by the time they were abruptly pulled back in Fall, I'd question if they needed a diagram to point it out.

The one thing I'm mad at CN about is the way they jerked around Young Justice for its entire run, due in part from starting the first season too early but mostly due to the network airing it when they saw fit. I'm not complaining about the time slots so much as the way they stretched out those 46 episodes rather needlessly with a few abrupt stops and occasionally going completely off the air leaving people wondering if the show would ever even finish. That is not how you treat a show of that quality. The worst thing to ever happen to Young Justice was broadcasting on CN under the current management and similar things can be said on behalf of GL:TAS but at least it only was abruptly pulled once.

10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I think all good things come to an end but that both series could probably use one more season or a DTV project or two to feel "complete" in the eyes of fans. GL TAS in particular feels like it could last for as long as Superman TAS and not get stale, and a problem definitely persists in DC's hero lineup not getting enough nurturing and attention outside of Batman. If Man of Steel doesn't meet expectations at the box office, I fear the trend will persist for some time yet. Go see it even if you're on the fence about it.

11. The ShopSoldier

Once again, I feel disappointed in myself that someone said it better than I could of. On that note, it's just further proof that CN needs leadership that cares a whole lot more for shows like this - and they need it now more than ever. I just wish I could really help out in that regard, because petitions aren't enough, unless for raising awareness of something bad going down...

12. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

It is disappointing, but not at all surprising. With Young Justice constantly going on long breaks and the block being removed last fall, the writing was on the wall. Given how the live-action movie turned out, I didn't think that Green Lantern would have gotten another season anyway, even though I have been enjoying it more than Young Justice for awhile and it is a great show. Young Justice is a good show, although this current season really makes me think that they're doing way too much with far too many characters. It doesn't help that most of the new characters they've introduced barely have an impact on me or done much of anything in the series. Both shows easily could have lasted for another couple of seasons and in the case of Young Justice, I think that it needed another season or two just to have a chance for a satisfying conclusion. Green Lantern at least has a good chance of ending on a satisfying conclusion with this season.

It is a shame that they're being replaced with other shows, especially when Batman doesn't really need another series anytime soon and Teen Titans already had a pretty good series before, but I enjoyed both series and I hope that the new series coming along will be fun to watch too.

13. firefoxprime

firefoxprime 90s = Golden Years

Correction: All good things die young. Case in point, Spongebob and Family Guy VS SymBionicTitan

14. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

It doesn't matter to me that much even though I loved Young Justice. Why is this a shock to anyone? Almost all DC cartoons get canceled around 52-65 episodes. The only series that went on a long time was Batman: TAS.

Sure I would have liked Young Justice to get at least 65 episodes, but it looks like the current storyline will wrap up well.

15. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

I guess one reason why I'm not so mad about YJ ending with this season is I feel like the show I really liked actually ended in season 1. I like a lot of the new characters but hardly any of them got time to shine as others have pointed out. They were perhaps too ambitious with their plans and it hurt the show more than it made good on such ambition and now it feels very rushed and the cast I enjoyed so much in season 1 was entirely underutilized in this season, especially Wally who was probably my favorite. They probably could have told the key plot of this season with that original cast at the forefront by simply adding in Blue Beetle and maybe Impulse if they wanted to do the future stuff still. What was the point of introducing several new heroes out of the blue if they were going to get benched most of the season? It had its moments and overall is still a great show but I can't help but feel they squandered potential and even if they have more stories to tell I'm not sure I trust them to do it well in a 3rd season.

16. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Active Member

It would have been better if they took the Justice League/Unlimited approach. We could have gotten around 52 episodes with the original cast and a few new characters like Blue Beetle, Impulse, Beast Boy and Lagoon Boy...and then saved the others for Season 3.

You're right, Wonder Girl was completely wasted and pointless in YJ, and its a shame because I liked what little we saw of her. Both Tim Drake and Batgirl seemed to have been thrown in for no reason other than fanservice to Batman fans, both their "characters" are almost non-existent in this series, we just like them based on previous cartoons they were in.

17. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Not the DCAU cartoons I would argue, or Teen Titans or The Batman or Brave and the Bold. But I'll agree the track record isn't so good for action in general in recent years. Good thing Korra is defying the trend, at least.

18. NightwingAngelo

NightwingAngelo New Member

Simply put, words cannot describe the anger and disappointment that I feel towards the whole situation. With that said, Warner Bros itself has to take some of the blame for this.

You could tell by the trailer that the Green Lantern movie would suck, and that's a rarity. I'm not going to waste money on whatever it was they pumped out and slapped some emerald green on to. Anyone could have done that. They were kidding themselves, just like many superhero movies before hand that clearly did not understand the their source material properly and didn't take it seriously. They also wasted some good actors in the process, which is a terrible shame because of the names involved would have helped to sell the series to a broader audience if the movie had been half decent.

It was part of the last wave of the ilk, leaking slightly into the same time period as superhero movie series like Iron Man, and the powerful Batman series, and looks like a joke compared to the Avengers. These were series where the directors actually knew anything about the materials they were handling (the costumes alone were more than enough of a clue - crucial details that signified the personalities of the different Lanterns were missing). There was just no way that this was going to work. The sins of GL:TAS' father might of ended up costing us what was, simply put, an awesome television series! We could also say that Warner Bros shot itself in the foot with its failure, and now we're all paying for it. It was a Bruce Timm show as well. Tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk.... If they found out how to lose a show produced by him, you know that there was a disgraceful handling of the Green Lantern product.

As for Young Justice, I knew it wouldn't be long before Cartoon Network would find a way to screw up with a show of such high quality. I feel that it's becoming apparent that those running the company are poor businesspersons who don't know a potential cash cow when its mooing in their face, and when they do see one they clearly don't know how to handle or work with it in order to maximize its marketing potential. I knew it was only a matter of time because the same thing happened with the Justice League series. As soon as it started to take on a life of itself, the problems began (when the quality rose in Season 2) and Cartoon Network panicked. They just don't have the minds to work with that kind of potential. All they know are ratings and numbers. They don't know about risks, or maintaining the quality and the brand of theirs that they continue to tarnish. Eventually this will all come back to haunt them. The talk of any series or ideas of characters outside of Batman and Superman will once again die down after taking so long to build up after the end of Justice League: Unlimited. There's likely a live-action Justice League movie that will hit the big screen in a few years time, but if Green Lantern is any indication then Warner Bros will find a way to screw up with that as well. The company has continually shown that it's lost outside of anything not Batman and/or Superman. There need to be someone with more vision charge, and an understanding of the potential that is in their hands, because Disney's is just about to destroy them in terms of superhero animation.

In the end, I feel that what's happening is that there are a lot of people in positions of power within the WB/CN organization that really shouldn't be, and the loss of Young Justice and Green Lantern: The Animated Series are prime examples of this.

19. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

I think it stinks. I love both shows, and the fact that they're ending is upsetting to me, IMO.

To add insult to injury, they're gonna air Teen Titans GO, which is the polar opposite of YJ.

20. ABrown

ABrown Active Member

I'm not a huge fan of the Green Lantern character, so I really never gave it a chance outside of the series premiere. The only thing with the Green Lantern title that I've enjoyed was the Green Lantern: First Flight movie.

I have mixed emotions about Young Justice coming to an end. There are aspects of the series that I enjoy. However, I feel like plot wise the show just runs around in circles and never really goes anywhere. So say that show did continue for a third season. What would happen? The show would jump ten years into the future, and the plot would continue to run around in circles? Kinda feels like a series written by the writers from Smallville.

The cartoon that I'm gonna miss is Transformers: Prime when it comes to an end after its third season.